England v Panama

Cerberus

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, bairney said:

You've got to be fkn yolking... They'll get their come-uppance when they meet a decent team like Belgium or Germany.

Well Belgium are currently 17/10 against them on Thursday go fill your boots since it's such a cert, good price that.

2 minutes ago, The DA said:

By analogy, Kinky, would you support Celtic in Europe if Rangers weren't involved?

That's how rivalries work.

Excellent point, young DA, and and excellent analogy.  One I am happy to field.

Unlike most of the G&G Dross I remember their sumptuous European triumph of 1967 and how it reflected so well on Scottish football.  Indeed, my Boys Brigade company had a 'film night' not long after the Lisbon triumph.  An 8mm film of the occasion was shown in the church hall and we all cheered when Celtic won.  The only avowed Celtic fan was, in fact, Roddy Mackenzie - son of the then kirk's minister.  It didn't matter.  We were all proud of Celtic.

Unfortunately both Celtic and England have utterly ripped the arse out of their respective cup triumphs and have become parodies of themselves - both giving up the good will they had at the time.

12 minutes ago, MJC said:

Hear, Hear.

I'm not a Scotland 'fan' as it were, but I'd like to see them at a major tournament again and would definitely support them over England, but I could never associate myself with the folk you describe there. They are an embarrassment to Scotland and indicative of the 'wee man's syndrome that many Scots have.

Some of the TA stuff you read is indeed cringeworthy.

However, 'wee man syndrome' gets a bad press.  It's wildly preferable to big man syndrome.

4 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Excellent point, young DA, and and excellent analogy.  One I am happy to field.

Unlike most of the G&G Dross I remember their sumptuous European triumph of 1967 and how it reflected so well on Scottish football.  Indeed, my Boys Brigade company had a 'film night' not long after the Lisbon triumph.  An 8mm film of the occasion was shown in the church hall and we all cheered when Celtic won.  The only avowed Celtic fan was, in fact, Roddy Mackenzie - son of the then kirk's minister.  It didn't matter.  We were all proud of Celtic.

Unfortunately both Celtic and England have utterly ripped the arse out of their respective cup triumphs and have become parodies of themselves - both giving up the good will they had at the time.

You haven't fielded the question, though.  You've suggested that you wouldn't support Celtic in Europe due to their fans' fixation on something that happened 50 years ago while saying it's OK to support England when their fans and commentators do exactly the same,

BTW I don't disagree that both sets of supporters continue to live on past glories to the point of nausea. I still contend that you can't claim pride in your club's deeds when those deeds happened before you were born.  That smacks of glory-hunting.

7 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Some of the TA stuff you read is indeed cringeworthy.

However, 'wee man syndrome' gets a bad press.  It's wildly preferable to big man syndrome.

It's just very petty and narrow minded and nobody does petty jealousy and bitterness better than your average Scot.

21 minutes ago, MJC said:

Hear, Hear.

I'm not a Scotland 'fan' as it were, but I'd like to see them at a major tournament again and would definitely support them over England, but I could never associate myself with the folk you describe there. They are an embarrassment to Scotland and indicative of the 'wee man's syndrome that many Scots have.

f**k you 'Motherwell fan' in disguise. Hiding behind M'well. We all know your true allegiance. YWTP

56 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I'm a Rangers-type (though that may surprise some posters) and always support Scotland in any sport, especially against England.  However, I've never wanted England to do badly, especially as I've lived 'down here' on and off since 1984.

In the past few years I admit to modifying my views a little.  Having been an England neutral I now want them to do well in all situations where Scotland  is not involved. 

Why?  The only thing more embarrassing to humanity than Little England fuckwits thinking they are world beaters is a clump of small-minded, xenophobic, tartan-tranny Yessers with an execrable ABE attitude.

I've found myself modifying my views in the other direction in recent years and I'm not entirely sure why.  When England reached semis in 90 and 96, I was not unduly bothered either way, but now find myself viewing their current prospects with unalloyed fear.

I also lived in England for a bit as a young man, but I don't think it's played a part really.  I think the broadcasting that assumes we're all English gets my goat, but that's hardly new.  

It's maybe just part of my general grumpiness as I get older.  I also tend to like seeing 'big' teams struggle and despite their chronic record of underachievement, England remains one of those.

Just now, bairney said:

f**k you 'Motherwell fan' in disguise. Hiding behind M'well. We all know your true allegiance. YWTP

Motherwell are my true allegiance. Not sure what that's got to do with this thread mind you.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yeah, but I'm fine with that.

Plenty folk are, but it's that attitude which helps hold Scotland back in sport and other aspects of life, especially politics, but let's not get into that.

3 minutes ago, The DA said:

You haven't fielded the question, though.  You've suggested that you wouldn't support Celtic in Europe due to their fans' fixation on something that happened 50 years ago while saying it's OK to support England when their fans and commentators do exactly the same,

BTW I don't disagree that both sets of supporters continue to live on past glories to the point of nausea. I still contend that you can't claim pride in your club's deeds when those deeds happened before you were born.  That smacks of glory-hunting.

I can see why you think that but you have to consider my previous post.  The order of odium from most to least goes:

1. Sellick fans who were born after 1967 but who turned a national triumph in to an internecine shit-fest.
  2. Small-minded, xenophobic, tartan-tranny Yessers with an execrable ABE attitude.
  3. Little England fuckwits thinking they are world beaters.

Thus being content with England doing well is, without doubt, the least bad option.

1 minute ago, The_Kincardine said:

I can see why you think that but you have to consider my previous post.  The order of odium from most to least goes:

1. Sellick fans who were born after 1967 but who turned a national triumph in to an internecine shit-fest.
  2. Small-minded, xenophobic, tartan-tranny Yessers with an execrable ABE attitude.
  3. Little England fuckwits thinking they are world beaters.

Thus being content with England doing well is, without doubt, the least bad option.

The least bad option of the three shown.  You couldn't expand that to a top ten, could you?

6 minutes ago, MJC said:

Plenty folk are, but it's that attitude which helps hold Scotland back in sport and other aspects of life, especially politics, but let's not get into that.

I think that's a facile observation you'd struggle to support.

11 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I also lived in England for a bit as a young man, but I don't think it's played a part really. 

You're still young, MT.  Young enough in mind to take umbrage at the 'chopped off' phrase as I noticed yesterday.

Archived