Pride

These threads always bring out some contrarian, attention-seeking roasters; the "I'm not homophobic, but" types. Useful exercise purely for outing a few bigots. 

Yeah the ‘I’ve got no problem what they do in the bedroom but don’t be waving it in front of my face’ brigade. They assume that all gay people are one-dimensional stereotypes that constantly have sex and corruption of ‘straights’ at the forefront of their mind.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even look at our cousins in America where people can now refuse to serve people based on their sexuality and gay people are executed in nightclub shootings.
Then you can point to the election of far right governments in the US, UK, Italy and Spain in recent years.
Throbber showing himself up as the forums resident simpleton again.

On the specific point of whether tolerance towards LGBTQ people is being reversed, it may be it certain places but I think that, as a blanket statement is quite a stretch. On what timescale? Look at the number of countries that've legalised same-sex marriage in the last 10 years.

Even look at our cousins in America where people can now refuse to serve people based on their sexuality and gay people are executed in nightclub shootings. .

The Orlando shooter chose that night club at the last minute and didn’t know it was a gay bar. Even if it was a specific attempt to kill as many gay people as possible it was still one guy acting on his own and doesn’t back up GD’s claim that tolerances towards gay people are going backwards in developed countries.

7 minutes ago, throbber said:

The Orlando shooter chose that night club at the last minute and didn’t know it was a gay bar. Even if it was a specific attempt to kill as many gay people as possible it was still one guy acting on his own and doesn’t back up GD’s claim that tolerances towards gay people are going backwards in developed countries.

White House announces ban on transgender people serving in military

2 hours ago, throbber said:

I don’t care what sexuality someone is but I can’t be fucked with the LGBT tag or people saying LGBT community as if everyone of that persuasion is in a different community to everyone else. I also find these marches to be a massive dick waving exercise that will largely be populated by dreadful individuals.

What makes you think it’s impossible to be a member of more than one community?

Yet you completely ignore the point about being able to refuse service to gay people.
I disagree with you re the mass shooting, there are several reports he had frequented the place.

39 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

On the specific point of whether tolerance towards LGBTQ people is being reversed, it may be it certain places but I think that, as a blanket statement is quite a stretch. On what timescale? Look at the number of countries that've legalised same-sex marriage in the last 10 years.

I certainly didn’t mean it as a blanket statement.  However I am concerned that there are modern, developed democracies where what little progress there has been has halted and reversed.

In and of itself it is worrying, linked to far right ideology it should be frightening to any thinking person.

Identifying and persecuting a group because they are ‘different’ has frightening historical precedents.

Yet you completely ignore the point about being able to refuse service to gay people.
I disagree with you re the mass shooting, there are several reports he had frequented the place.

I think that’s it’s shocking and very worrying that you can refuse to serve gay people in America and I didn’t know that law was in place, all I asked GD was what he was basing his claim that attitudes towards LGBT were in reverse on. Considering, as Gordon has said gay marriage is legal in many countries across the world now, gay couples can adopt, lots of politicians and celebrities are openly gay and homophobia is largely unacceptable everywhere I have been it was hardly an outrageously ill informed thing for me to ask and no reason for you to call me a simpleton.

The Orlando shooter didn’t like gay people but chose the nightclub at random, even if it was an attack on LGBT people it was still an individual act, doesn’t mean the entire world is less tolerant of gays.

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Even look at our cousins in America where people can now refuse to serve people based on their sexuality and gay people are executed in nightclub shootings.
Then you can point to the election of far right governments in the US, UK, Italy and Spain in recent years.
Throbber showing himself up as the forums resident simpleton again.

I'd say that was pretty inclusive, it would be more 'wrong' if they refused to shoot gay people surely. Everyone is shooting everyone over there after all.

My brother is gay and he was scared to come out for a number of years because he didn't know how the family and his friends would react to it.

The Pride thing might not be everyones cup of tea, but anything within society that allows people to accept themselves and realise that they have nothing to fear from being themselves is a good thing. There is nothing wrong with being gay, but unfortunately there are still parts of the world where people are persecuted for their orientation (with punishments ranging from imprisonment to the death penalty). As long as such persecution is occurring then there will always be a need to stand up for the rights of LGBT people.

I suppose I’m quite ambivalent to Pride marches which I put down to not really giving a toss how other people live their lives.
If I’m being self analytical this is probably both a good and bad way to be.
The fact that any member of society feels they need to celebrate a certain facet of their life / person purely to get validation and acceptance is not right.
Hopefully we get to a point where everyone is on a level playing field and no one is demonised for their beliefs / lifestyle / who they love.

Except Tories.

3 minutes ago, rodallegabombs said:

I suppose I’m quite ambivalent to Pride marches which I put down to not really giving a toss how other people live their lives.
If I’m being self analytical this is probably both a good and bad way to be.
The fact that any member of society feels they need to celebrate a certain facet of their life / person purely to get validation and acceptance is not right.
Hopefully we get to a point where everyone is on a level playing field and no one is demonised for their beliefs / lifestyle / who they love.

Except Tories.

Maybe not everybody

nambla_weekly_by_agaath95.jpg

I don't like the word 'tolerance' in the context it's normally used in relation to this issue. It comes like across like you grudgingly put up with someone for being gay, rather than just accepting them for who they are.

I've been along to Pride Fife (it's in Kirkcaldy) by my older brother (who is bisexual). My younger brother and his husband are going as well.

Never been to anything like this so will be interesting to see what it's like. Also we're having beers.

Archived