Pride

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Scotland is more Orange Walk than Pride March.

Glasgow pride is the 14th & 15th of July, so we may get both at the same time ^_^

18 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Probably cause straight culture is Ed Sheeran, Conor McGregor, resenting your partner, and tattoos that say things like "live, laugh, love".

I can't believe you're stereotyping like that. 

Ed Sheeran is pish, don't know the other lad and my only tattoo says 'SCOTLAND', bit cliched but hey ho, its 30 years old. I'll concede the resenting of my partner at times but I've plenty gay mates who do the same. 

Advantage, Chomp......

;)

316) Homosexual Behavior: We affirm God’s biblical design for marriage and sexual behavior between one biological man and one biological woman, which has proven to be the foundation for all great nations in Western Civilization. We oppose homosexual marriage, regardless of state of origin. We urge the Texas Legislature to pass religious liberty protections for individuals, businesses, and government officials who believe marriage is between one man and one woman. We oppose the granting of special legal entitlements or creation of special status for homosexual behavior, regardless of state of origin. We oppose any criminal or civil penalties against those who oppose homosexuality out of faith, conviction, or belief in traditional values.

http://www.outsmartmagazine.com/2018/06/texas-gop-approves-24-anti-lgbtq-platform-planks-including-support-for-ex-gay-therapy/

New to this thread but the idea that levels of tolerance are going in reverse just isn't true.

Take our country for example.  In the Scottish Social Attitudes survey in 2000 nearly half (48%) of those surveyed thought that same sex relationships were always or mostly wrong, with just over a third (37%) saying they were rarely or never wrong.  In 2017 the figures were 18% for always or mostly wrong and 69% for rarely or never wrong.  That's a seismic change in just a few years.   This is mirrored across the whole of the UK. 

It's the same in the United States.  Here is the support for legalisation of gay marraige, not a 100% artiber for support for gay rights but a very good indicator.

Image result for support for gay marriage USA

There are obviously countries where there is still discrimination against gay people, the example given of Chechnya is a pertinent one.  But I think to say that the rights of gaypeople are being reversed is wrong and that, although still present,  societal discrimination is reducing.

On 6/24/2018 at 20:08, itzdrk said:

Glasgow pride is the 14th & 15th of July, so we may get both at the same time ^_^

There's only a very fine line between Orange Walks and the Folsom Street Fair (that fine line being the lads at the Folsom Street Fair don't hide behind religion when wanting to hook up with other guys, dress up, listen to party tunes etc). They should just call it Orange Pride and be done with it. 

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

New to this thread but the idea that levels of tolerance are going in reverse just isn't true.

Take our country for example.  In the Scottish Social Attitudes survey in 2000 nearly half (48%) of those surveyed thought that same sex relationships were always or mostly wrong, with just over a third (37%) saying they were rarely or never wrong.  In 2017 the figures were 18% for always or mostly wrong and 69% for rarely or never wrong.  That's a seismic change in just a few years.   This is mirrored across the whole of the UK. 

It's the same in the United States.  Here is the support for legalisation of gay marraige, not a 100% artiber for support for gay rights but a very good indicator.

There are obviously countries where there is still discrimination against gay people, the example given of Chechnya is a pertinent one.  But I think to say that the rights of gaypeople are being reversed is wrong and that, although still present,  societal discrimination is reducing.

The croosver point looks to be round about 2012.

A momentous year when many horrible bigotted thought institutions declined.

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I was definitely in the anti gay marriage camp in 2000s.  Can't really think why, just at the time it didn't seem right.  It seemed they should be accepted but that it was still somehow not optimal for people and not to be encouraged.  I think!..maybe i genuinely just did have bigotted ideas when you're younger.  I know i wouldnt have been alone.

It's good to see how your attitudes change as you get older.  Now can't think of any reason against it, really.

I'm still getting my head round the transgender stuff.  Seems to bring up more problems than the gay angle.  But unlike when you're younger, seeing that i was so wrong with one thing; i'm open minded to understanding all issues now.

LGBT rights have come on extremely fast.  It's nonsense to suggest otherwise.  That graph shows it if it was needed.  The rapid nature of it has created a generation gap where older people feel alienated.  It's like having social attitudes from three centuries living in the one population.   It's obviously a good thing but that's the biproduct of social attitudes being flipped round in like 5 years.

1 hour ago, tirso said:

I was definitely in the anti gay marriage camp in 2000s.  Can't really think why, just at the time it didn't seem right.  It seemed they should be accepted but that it was still somehow not optimal for people and not to be encouraged.

An argument separate from mere homophobia or 'something that should not be encouraged' is that heterosexual marriage should be privileged, regardless of whether it's over non-married couples or over married homosexual couples.

22 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Did Dundee United sign banana from Clyde by any chance? 

banana is an arsehole; anyone who enables him by responding to him is an arsehole.

2 hours ago, tirso said:

I was definitely in the anti gay marriage camp in 2000s.  Can't really think why, just at the time it didn't seem right.  It seemed they should be accepted but that it was still somehow not optimal for people and not to be encouraged.  I think!..maybe i genuinely just did have bigotted ideas when you're younger.  I know i wouldnt have been alone.

I will be the first to hold my hands up and say, in the past, circa 1983, I developed a fairly robust dislike for the gay community. But that was before I met Dale Winton. And I realised I had absolutely nothing to worry about. The man was a perfect gentleman. I actually spent three days at The Earls Court Boatshow with Dale Winton, and Paul O'Grady, and Noel Edmonds - he's not gay, but you get the picture. 

1 hour ago, DrewDon said:

I will be the first to hold my hands up and say, in the past, circa 1983, I developed a fairly robust dislike for the gay community. But that was before I met Dale Winton. And I realised I had absolutely nothing to worry about. The man was a perfect gentleman. I actually spent three days at The Earls Court Boatshow with Dale Winton, and Paul O'Grady, and Noel Edmonds - he's not gay, but you get the picture. 

Could have been a lot worse, you could have ended up going back for a swim with Barrymore.... :o

2 hours ago, Cerberus said:

The constant need to virtue signal must be a exhausting, joyless existence.
That is for both sides, pro-liberal and pro-conservative.

Be normal. Stop criticising others and get on with your own life.

Yup, an absolute blight that has somewhat replaced the requirement to think, investigate, discuss, make up your own mind, adjust your beliefs and perceptions.

Just regurgitate the Correct Opinions from The Narrative, stay on reservation, and your job is done. No thinking requirement, woo-hoo! Else be cast out, attacked and censored for Wrongthink.

Archived