What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

4 hours ago, Stormzy said:

Laura Pidcock and Richard Burgon are probably the two most empty headed politicians I've ever seen in my life. Genuinely the worst in ability I think I've ever seen. Burgon is hilarious, his leadership bid was nothing short of sensational. I don't think they "understand the North" in any meaningful way, Burgon barely understands how to tie his shoe laces let alone try and understand issues within Politics, they weren't even useful lackies. 

What's your beef with Burgon? I hear nothing but good things from his constituents (even some who don't vote for him), and on a more personal note he's always been a big supporter of the POA, and public servants in general. I cerainly wouldn't mind him representing me in WM. 

5 minutes ago, Gaz said:

What a shambles of a party Labour are. Almost embarrassed that I used to be a member.

Exactly the same here. I went to the SLAB party conference as the CLP delegate in 2001, and they were a serious party then. Probably the heyday. I met people like John Reid (who was a cantankerous wee bugger), Helen Liddell (who was a bit nuts) and quite a few more. There was genuine discussion about what we were doing as a party in Scotland and in the UK.

I left in 2003 because of Iraq. The term gaslighting didn't exist then but that's what Tony Blair did when he told parliament that the WMD's were ready to deploy at 45 minutes notice. Nobody believed it, people marched. Everyone in the country knew it was a lie and that we were being pressured by Bush to join the invasion. I wrote to my MP Martin O'Neill (who I had campaigned with in the 2001 election, for him to win back his seat). He didn't even reply to me. Just voted with Blair for the invasion. 

So I cancelled my subscription and told the branch and the CLP that I wasn't coming back. In 18 years I have never been tempted to go back.

16 hours ago, Donathan said:

Places like Canterbury have surprisingly gone red in recent years, it's a sign of Labour becoming a party of the well educated, socially liberal middle class. If Boris continues down the route of wooing red wall seats with a mixture of small c conservativism and big state spending, these long time Tory heartlands will move more and more away from the Tories. I think what voters in those areas want is low taxes and progressive social values. I agree that the Lib Dems are more likely to take a lot of them than Labour but it does open up the potential for a Lab/Lib coalition government in the future even if the red wall has turned blue for good.

Well, I missed this at the time, but fúck me, if ever there was a regurgitation of spoonfed shite trying to appear informed, this is it. Canterbury returned a Labour MP because there were a lot of highly-motivated students eligible to vote there*. Rosie Duffield has, by all accounts, been a decent constituency MP and held onto the seat in 2019, but let's not kid ourselves how the door was pushed open

Leaving aside the buzzword bingo and the frankly laughable idea of the tories (any tories, but especially the Eton OB society we have now) giving the slightest shit about anything other than their own pockets - who in this country can call themselves well-educated?

Is it all those who have just found out that those massive country houses around the country were built on the buying and selling of human beings? The ones who know all about Churchill the Saviour of Britain, but not so much the Starver of Bengal. Or, and this is even more shameful, the man who sent the troops in against striking workers (including sending fucking tanks to Glasgow) on more than one occasion. Even that bitch Thatcher only went as far as sending squaddies dressed as coppers the police into battle with the miners. 

There are foreigners flocking to the UK to denude it of its wealth - but they're coming in private jets and yachts, not rubber dinghies. 

* I wonder who motivated them in their political awakening? Maybe Starmer could take some tips from him...

29 minutes ago, Gaz said:

What a shambles of a party Labour are. Almost embarrassed that I used to be a member.

18 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Exactly the same here. I went to the SLAB party conference as the CLP delegate in 2001, and they were a serious party then. Probably the heyday. I met people like John Reid (who was a cantankerous wee bugger), Helen Liddell (who was a bit nuts) and quite a few more. There was genuine discussion about what we were doing as a party in Scotland and in the UK.

I left in 2003 because of Iraq. The term gaslighting didn't exist then but that's what Tony Blair did when he told parliament that the WMD's were ready to deploy at 45 minutes notice. Nobody believed it, people marched. Everyone in the country knew it was a lie and that we were being pressured by Bush to join the invasion. I wrote to my MP Martin O'Neill (who I had campaigned with in the 2001 election, for him to win back his seat). He didn't even reply to me. Just voted with Blair for the invasion. 

So I cancelled my subscription and told the branch and the CLP that I wasn't coming back. In 18 years I have never been tempted to go back.

I don’t think there’s anything to be embarrassed about; it was a different time and Labour when a different party.

It must also be remembered that the SNP were very right wing back in those days.  SNP leader Gordon Wilson was, and probably still is, very conservative as well as being a god botherer.

2 hours ago, btb said:

Society is fragmenting, the Public Sector aside the big unionised workplaces which provided Labour's core support for generations have gone and those in the gig economy don't seem to see the potential benefit in voting for Labour. As you've have pointed out it's becoming the  of the well educated, socially liberal middle class - that's looking unlikely to be enough to win elections in the near future.

I can't see Starmer repeating the Blair trick of winning from the right on a "more competet/no sleaze" ticket (baffles  me) - New Labour also had two policies which chimed with people back in 97 - Educatiom x3 and Tough on Crime Tough on the Causes of Crime - Starmer has nothing yet.

To recover Labour has to forge alliances of workers/supporters who will vote for it - that means supporting public services and appealing to younger voters who are finding it hard to get on the housing ladder and tapping into green politics which NIMBYs aside is left of centre, some form of Green/Red alliance - they're not gonna win by playing it safe.

I say this as someone who hopes to view a Labour recovery down South from a newly independent Scotland.

1st bold bit - one pretty fucking big benefit would be that there wouldn't be a fucking gig economy. 

2nd bold bit - evidently not - the Corbyn project was the most pro-public service manifesto I've ever seen, and brought young voters into the Party as members like a tsunami. Starmer ansd his cronies have taken all that and pissed it up the wall.

You don't win elections by being a Tory tribute act - you win them by offering a choice. And if the likes of Watson, Phillips, Hodge and Kinnock Junior had pushed the policies instead of briefing against the DEMOCRATICALLY ELECTED (TWICE) Leader of the Party, we'd have a Labour Government now. It might not have been a land of milk and honey, but it could not possibly have been worse than what we have now. If the best Starmer and his acolytes have to offer is a tory tribute act, then the GBP will just vote for the real scum. 

Labour Co-op Tracy Brabin 22,594  
  Conservative Mark Brooks 19,069    
  Heavy Woollen District Independents Paul Halloran 6,432

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batley_and_Spen_(UK_Parliament_constituency)

Labour was crushed in 2019 with the middle class, radical left in charge. It was crushed again last night with the middle class, liberal left in charge.

What each side & their deluded supporters refuse to believe is that it’s either of their faults.

Their woke policies, condescending views & appeasement from both sides is alien to the regular man & woman in the street.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/paulforbatleyandspen/posts/

The constituency voted nearly 60% pro Brexit. 

Labours chances are pretty terrible unless the intendent's retain their 2019 vote. Lets face it, the independents are not going to break Labour in the by-election.

Now all of those loudly slamming Labour for not being left wing and "woke" enough could put up their own candidate in the constituency and show the world how popular a far left platform would be in the old heartlands in the North, by-elections are classic territory for political insurgency wins. They will not. They know it has little to zero traction outside of large urban centres and student towns. If challenged they will pile lies upon lies to try to excuse that they will not put up candidates in by elections and local elections. 

Cowards. 😁

Liars. :thumsup2

Put up a candidate or shut up. 🐔

(Edited Batley and Spen will shortly be having a by election to replace Tracy Barbin, she will have to take the Chiltern Hundreds or whatever in a few weeks due to being elected Police Commissioner [and Mayor])

Edited by dorlomin

15 minutes ago, dorlomin said:
  Labour Co-op Tracy Brabin 22,594  
  Conservative Mark Brooks 19,069    
  Heavy Woollen District Independents Paul Halloran 6,432

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batley_and_Spen_(UK_Parliament_constituency)

https://www.facebook.com/pg/paulforbatleyandspen/posts/

The constituency voted nearly 60% pro Brexit. 

Labours chances are pretty terrible unless the intendent's retain their 2019 vote. Lets face it, the independents are not going to break Labour in the by-election.

Now all of those loudly slamming Labour for not being left wing and "woke" enough could put up their own candidate in the constituency and show the world how popular a far left platform would be in the old heartlands in the North, by-elections are classic territory for political insurgency wins. They will not. They know it has little to zero traction outside of large urban centres and student towns. If challenged they will pile lies upon lies to try to excuse that they will not put up candidates in by elections and local elections. 

Cowards. 😁

Liars. :thumsup2

Put up a candidate or shut up. 🐔

(Edited Batley and Spen will shortly be having a by election to replace Tracy Barbin, she will have to take the Chiltern Hundreds or whatever in a few weeks due to being elected Police Commissioner [and Mayor])

image.png.1b70994b1c24b1ba3e5a9864664f5764.png

I don’t think there’s anything to be embarrassed about; it was a different time and Labour when a different party.
It must also be remembered that the SNP were very right wing back in those days.  SNP leader Gordon Wilson was, and probably still is, very conservative as well as being a god botherer.
He died in 2017.

19 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

He died in 2017.

He’ll be bothering god in the afterlife then.

Oh, no, wait...

5 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

What's your beef with Burgon? I hear nothing but good things from his constituents (even some who don't vote for him), and on a more personal note he's always been a big supporter of the POA, and public servants in general. I cerainly wouldn't mind him representing me in WM. 

I have no idea what he's like on a local level and I do think that's fundamental so hats off to him if he is valued locally, you'd probably disagree with some of the media tactics but everytime I've seen him on a TV appearance he's been utterly out of his depths and comes across very foolish and generally someone that can't play the WM game which I thinks important. The above clip posted is a good example of what I mean and so is the interview he had with Andrew Neil. 

As I said he might be good on a local level and be a decent bloke but he is an open goal and extremely meme worthy when it comes to petty political arguments. 

On 07/05/2021 at 00:02, GordonS said:

Singapore were expelled from Malaysia, they didn't want independence and were made independent by default. 

Singapore gained it’s own independence from the UK, which they wanted. It was never part of Malaya and during that time they were relatively successful.

The whole debacle of joining the new Federation of Malaysia then being kicked out was messy from start to finish due to political and racial issues.

Kind of worked out okay in the end.

17 minutes ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

Singapore gained it’s own independence from the UK, which they wanted. It was never part of Malaya and during that time they were relatively successful.

The whole debacle of joining the new Federation of Malaysia then being kicked out was messy from start to finish due to political and racial issues.

Kind of worked out okay in the end.

Of course it worked out extremely well, especially for its ethnic Chinese citizens and apart from one thing everything you say is obviously right. But Singapore really was one of the 14 states of Malaysia 1963-65, it was never fully independent before 1965 as Britain relinquished it to Malaysia and when they gained their independence it wasn't their decision.

From what I know the wiki page on it is a good summary. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapore_in_Malaysia

22 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Not to worry, one of the SNP’s biggest backers/donors is a massive god bothering homophobe so you’ve still got that area well covered.102B6675-09B1-444C-AAD2-4509D8009B27.png.1023e8b3477c6f2c917461c88cd11bc3.png