What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

It’s hard to predict when the Labour Party bloodletting and civil war will end.  It certainly won’t be before the next GE.  I feel sorry for the people of England who have no other practical options.

41 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

This is even more incredible given that Shippers just put up, and then deleted, a tweet saying that Jenny Chapman is banned from Starmers house on the orders of Starmers wife.

I just cannot believe for a single second that Keir Starmer fucks. It is simply impossible.

Radio Scotland today were peddling the narrative that for Anas Sarwars job was to stop the rot and he achieved that.

He lost two seats.

Baillie and Johnson are hardly a ringing endorsement of the Labour project either.

Danielle Rowley,  who always struck me as not awful,  was also on the programme and seemed to suggest Labour are going to have to revisit the constitutional position, at the very least in terms of whether their should be a referendum or not.

Radio Scotland today were peddling the narrative that for Anas Sarwars job was to stop the rot and he achieved that.
He lost two seats.
Baillie and Johnson are hardly a ringing endorsement of the Labour project either.
Danielle Rowley,  who always struck me as not awful,  was also on the programme and seemed to suggest Labour are going to have to revisit the constitutional position, at the very least in terms of whether their should be a referendum or not.

Do you think they'll ever understand that they lose seats when they cosy up to the Tories?

We've had Keir throwing senior allies under the bus, Andy Burnham unsubtly announcing he'll run if they want him to, Nuke Akehurst losing his seat I think, dorlo melting down yesterday after his boys take their first major L (two may be related come to think of it) and now Starmer's allegedly sleeping in the car???

I mean, if there's any kind of truth in this, then it makes the decision to attack the Tories solely on "sleaze" even more baffling.

It can't be true though can it. There's no way Keir Starmer ever gets horny.

2 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

He lost two seats.

I'm no fan of Sarwar but he has done okay on the grounds that: i) the Labour vote didn't completely collapse and ii) he has at least tried to detoxify the Labour/Unionist link. This attempt had a reasonable degree of success if the verdict of the (heavily pro-independence) forum on here is anything to go by; his debate performances were not viewed unfavourably. As someone who was watching the Champions League instead like a normal person, I kept to my well-established knowledge of his Yoon position and so wasn't influenced either way, but a surprising number of people were willing to hear Labour out this time if nothing else. 

The issue that no Scottish Labour leader can overcome is demographics: their rump Central Belt vote are all boomers, who are living in some of the lowest life expectancy areas in the whole of Europe. Almost nobody under 40 is voting for them in Greenock or the rest of their former heartlands, so simply reducing the pace of their natural decline is a decent enough job. 

You could put an all-time political colossus in charge of Scottish Labour now and it wouldn't stop that inevitable downward trend. They're as dead as Rangers.

Edited by vikingTON