What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

12 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

"A Conservative candidate who went viral this week for his bizarre campaign video roaming around a dilapidated Blackburn playground has beaten his Labour rival.

Taxi driver Tiger Patel won the Audley & Queen’s Park Ward by 113 votes.

Please enjoy his campaign video, which sees him silently stalk the play equipment to a Bhangra soundtrack, raising his alarms aloft like Jesus on the cross in front of some obscene graffiti."

38 minutes ago, speckled tangerine said:

Labour are done. They've tried Ed Miliband who was leftish. They've tried Jez, who was obviously left wing. Now Keith who is pretty centrist but, to be honest, i've no real clue as he doesn't appear to stand for anything concrete.

Going back I think the ship sailed for good when the party elected the wrong Miliband. He was the Blairite Tory lite option that maybe would have given the party a chance of winning an election. Not saying it would have been a great reforming government or anything, but in power nonetheless.

But then brexit and that was it. Scotland won't be back and it looks like England wont be either. There's nowhere left to go. England doesn't want them.

I remember reading things exactly like this after Labour had won a second landslide in 2001. And before 2014 it was unimaginable to most (not me) that Johnson could ever be prime minister. Things change in politics. I don't disagree with you in the short and medium term, but long term, any political party that can credibly promise that going to work will be better for those earning below £30k or so can romp an election.

11 minutes ago, Gaz said:

The Cubans - "a great bunch of lads"

Sent doctors over to bail out Lombardy, one of the richest regions in the EU, during the first wave last spring as well. 

58 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

It's not Francia's Paraguay, bro, it's actually really easy to visit and I would recommend. A greater and kinder bunch of lads and lassie you couldn't hope to meet. Even a man as viscerally unpleasant and horrid as you would probably get a lovely welcome.

Been there and actually met a friend of the Castros.

Apart from their health service, it’s a terrible place to live.

Yes, the people are great.

Just listened to some shadow cabinet no mark using the usual platitudes about: we’re listening, we haven’t changed enough yet, etc etc.
Parties are supposed to have principles and that is this Labour Party’s problem. No vision, just let’s see what’s popular and replicate Tory policy light. Pathetic

Gavin Barwell ex-Tory MP in May's govt.......

Many Labour MPs put all the blame for their 2019 defeat on Jeremy Corbyn. He was certainly a big factor but this narrative obscures the huge underlying challenges Labour faces. It is in a tougher situation today than the mid 1980s. Second, it's an electoral trap. The Conservative vote is becoming increasingly aligned with Leave, the Labour vote with Remain. But although the referendum result was close, the Remain vote was heavily concentrated in London, Scotland and Northern Ireland. This means that in constituency terms Leave has a big advantage. And the Conservatives have a virtual monopoly on the Leave vote whereas the Remain vote is split between Labour, the LDs, the Greens and Nationalists in Scotland and Wales.

7:36 AM · May 7, 2021

21 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Gavin Barwell ex-Tory MP in May's govt.......

Many Labour MPs put all the blame for their 2019 defeat on Jeremy Corbyn. He was certainly a big factor but this narrative obscures the huge underlying challenges Labour faces. It is in a tougher situation today than the mid 1980s. Second, it's an electoral trap. The Conservative vote is becoming increasingly aligned with Leave, the Labour vote with Remain. But although the referendum result was close, the Remain vote was heavily concentrated in London, Scotland and Northern Ireland. This means that in constituency terms Leave has a big advantage. And the Conservatives have a virtual monopoly on the Leave vote whereas the Remain vote is split between Labour, the LDs, the Greens and Nationalists in Scotland and Wales.

7:36 AM · May 7, 2021

That's probably a decent analysis that provides a partial explanation.

I suppose the concern is how long after 2016, will the electorate stay divided along Leave/Remain lines?  It's this idea that it's got more to do with identity than with any genuine European question, which means the divide can long outlive the settling of the question.

From Guardian
Labour is “on the brink of irrelevance”, according to Dave Ward, general secretary of the CWU union. He wants the party to commit to a bold policy agenda designed to appeal to working people.

It was the CWU that infuriated Sir Keir Starmer’s supporters by commissioning a poll a month ago that suggested the Tories were on course for a seven-point win. (In fact, they won by 23 percentage points.) The poll also showed strong support in the constituency for some of the measures in Labour’s 2019 manifesto.

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

That's probably a decent analysis that provides a partial explanation.

I suppose the concern is how long after 2016, will the electorate stay divided along Leave/Remain lines?  It's this idea that it's got more to do with identity than with any genuine European question, which means the divide can long outlive the settling of the question.

I recall all the geniuses who were adamant that Labour needed to commit to Remain throughout 2018 and 2019.

The Hartlepool Tory MP is saying Labour took Hartlepool for granted for too long.

The Tories have been in Westminster for 11 year, wages haven't increased at all and they have cut central government funding to councils by 60%.

To the people who voted for her that is presumably irrelevant. They can't be reached by Labour. They need to talk directly to the people who negatively impacted by stagnant (about to be shrinking) wages and reduced services.

Labour were always in for a pasting here as a whole tranch of UKIP votes in the North of England became up for grabs. That they have gone en masse to the Tories is dire for Labour - they are taking a pasting. However the metro mayor election things ought to be the real crisis for the party - low turnout but the Tories belted them in Tees Valley with just shy of 73% of the vote.

I've also noted a few massive swings against them in places where they ought to be winning, with the Greens and Lib Dems even taking seats from them.