What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

23 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Andy Burnham voted for the war in Iraq. Andy Burnham voted 11 times against inquiries into the war in Iraq.

You would have to hope that the idiots who voted for the man who cleared John Charles De Menzes' killers won't get fooled again.

I rarely give reddies, but this post alllied to your general tinfoil hat wearing output has forced me into it. If you are going to champion a cause, at least learn how to spell it.

Burnham is too lightweight. Fine being mayor of Manchester - hell, he can do some good there. Leader of the Labour Party is one of those jobs that has no upside. You'll be in opposition, hated by your own people, being drawn in to bizarre straw man arguments on things like Israel and BLM that will suck out all your energy. You'll never achieve anything except joining the ranks of failed leaders.

13 hours ago, Detournement said:

Andy Burnham voted for the war in Iraq. Andy Burnham voted 11 times against inquiries into the war in Iraq.

You would have to hope that the idiots who voted for the man who cleared John Charles De Menzes' killers won't get fooled again.

I never knew he voted for the Iraq war, thats a big fucking no then for that c**t, excuse my language

half the problems of the last 20 years have been because of that war

15 hours ago, Perkin Flump said:

I rarely give reddies, but this post alllied to your general tinfoil hat wearing output has forced me into it. If you are going to champion a cause, at least learn how to spell it.

He's not wrong though. Burnham's had a good year but a lot of people are being blindsided by that and the fact his authentocratic posture is 25% more effective than like Owen Smith's to ignore that often when push came to shove he's shat out of taking a positive, or indeed any, stance on policies. Now it could be that he has learned the proper lessons from Corbyn's leadership and realised he has to grow a backbone and have some principles or he's realised as mayor of Manchester that he can act as he likes as he doesn't have the same countervailing pressures from the right, as @scottsdad says the position isn't as much of an anchor round his neck, and he's probably being encouraged by the Manchester Labour membership to act in a more left-populist spirit. 

It'll be interesting to see what happens if he does run. If he doesn't immediately engage with Manchester Momentum then that for me is an immediate sign for me that he's at it as much as Starmer was in early 2020. 

Burnham is confusing. He is probably the most underrated political operator in his generation of Labour MPs, but also the most opportunistic. His journey from 2010, where he seemed to run vaguely to the right of David Miliband, to where he likes to position himself now is quite something.

Imagine having a household income below 20 grand and voting Tory. Also lol at the high income melts voting Lib Dem.

That table demolishes a lot of the arguments about a class realignment but you would really need to see the geographic spread to have a full picture.

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

Labour won the working age population in 2019 and were still routed.

We live in a country dominated by idiot nihilist pensioners.

If I was you I'd be dredging up the Why Do the Working Classes Vote Tory thread and doing a Vince McMahion victory lap round it.

I'm sitting here and enjoying my tepid "hey I think the story of the Red Wall might be people staying home as opposed to switching to the Tories" take.

1 minute ago, NotThePars said:

If I was you I'd be dredging up the Why Do the Working Classes Vote Tory thread and doing a Vince McMahion victory lap round it.

I'm sitting here and enjoying my tepid "hey I think the story of the Red Wall might be people staying home as opposed to switching to the Tories" take.

IMG_20210603_131741.jpg.e93a94c4989ea185db54bb35e3241462.jpg

2 hours ago, Detournement said:

Imagine having a household income below 20 grand and voting Tory. Also lol at the high income melts voting Lib Dem.

That table demolishes a lot of the arguments about a class realignment but you would really need to see the geographic spread to have a full picture.

Now what. 

I know it's a pantomime, and I know it changes nothing, but that was the weakest PMQs performance I've ever seen from an opposition leader. Ever. I'm not saying that the disparity in support for children in th UK compared to the rest of the world isn't important - likewise the cut in the aid budget and the stance on a two-state solution in the Middle east. But on a day when the Government has been lambasted in the courts with senior members being ruled to have acted unlawfully - with the corruption laid bare in open court - Starmer let Johnson off the hook disgracefully. To not even mention that the Government is reneging on the very agreement ("Get Brexit Done!") that got them elected is nothing short of a betrayal of his responsibility to not only his Party, but to the wider electorate. 

That fat slug is getting tougher questions from his own back-benchers than Starmer can manage. 

It really is time for Starmer to fúck off, and for the likes of Lavery, McDonnell and Trickett to start looking for any young, presentable candidates to take over and stop the haemorrhage of members being presided over by this empty shirt. Sending Burgon for media training and voice-coaching would be a start, as would finding a NE Seat for Laura Pidcock to reclaim for the workers. I'm not holding my breath, though.

Edited by WhiteRoseKillie

3 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

I know it's a pantomime, and I know it changes nothing, but that was the weakest PMQs performance I've ever seen from an opposition leader. Ever. I'm not saying that the disparity in support for children in th UK compared to the rest of the world isn't important - likewise the cut in the aid budget and the stance on a two-state solution in the Middle east. But on a day when the Government has been lambasted in the courts with senior members being ruled to have acted unlawfully - with the corruption laid bare in open court - Starmer let Johnson off the hook disgracefully. To not even mention that the Government is reneging on the very agreement ("Get Brexit Done!") that got them elected is nothing short of a betrayal of his responsibility to not only his Party, but to the wider electorate. 

That fat slug is getting tougher questions from his own back-benchers than Starmer can manage. 

It really is time for Starmer to fúck off, and for the likes of Lavery, McDonnell and Trickett to start looking for any young, presentable candidates to take over and stop the haemorrhage of members being presided over by this empty shirt. Sending Burgon for media training and voice-coaching would be a start, as would finding a NE Seat for Laura Pidcock to reclaim for the workers. I'm not holding my breath, though.

Always thought Clive Lewis would have been a decent option but he didn’t want to go for it.