What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

35 minutes ago, orfc said:

The one remaining nationalist feverishly poking away at their keyboard is more likely given the SNPs current showing 🙂

What will get you four more years of Tory is telling people not to vote for the option most likely to beat them, but at least you'll have kept your purity and won't have to make real decisions with consequences

Ooooft. If the cap fits and all that. Four more years of Tory or four years of Labour makes zero difference in my eyes. It's the OF of politics, two cheeks of the same arse.

2 hours ago, RuMoore said:

You're correct that Labour policy under Corbyn was popular but he wasn't the man to deliver it and voters hated him for multiple reasons. Brexit played a massive part but it wasn't the only factor in his failures, Keir has done well to mitigate these factors and win voters back that would have never entertained Corbyn being in charge, anecdotally speaking moronic voters view "leftys" as a threat to what they believe in and taking Brexit off the table Keir appeals more to these people whereas lazy communist scare tactics worked so easily with Corbyn. 

Much of that was down to the Murdoch/Dacre media painting Corbyn as some sort of enemy of the state/terrorist pal  which of course was bullshit like most of the criticism of Corbyn.

I'm not going to apologise for liking Corbyn's policies, they were good and nationalising Rail and Water are popular with the public. Increasing broadband coverage and speed and making it dirt cheap again was a very good. policy. But Corbyn scared the establishment, he wasn't for sale and had Tory shill's screaming. His attitude to the individual of "If you earn a lot of money pay your taxes towards society and don't complain"  obviously terrified them. That and making companies who operate in the UK actually pay UK tax would have had Dacre soiling himself in rage.

Edited by AndyM

4 minutes ago, StellarHibee said:

Aye, great idea. Let the kids suffer, as long as it makes the parents look bad. Sociopathy must come naturally to you and the political right in general.

What is it with these right wingers? if a child is hungry first and foremost you feed them, you don't squeal about their background. 

2 hours ago, RuMoore said:

I did say generally speaking as in when presented with two options in my life time they've generally went for the centre types. Cameron and May had success from the centre ground as did Blair and Co before. 

You're correct that Labour policy under Corbyn was popular but he wasn't the man to deliver it and voters hated him for multiple reasons. Brexit played a massive part but it wasn't the only factor in his failures, Keir has done well to mitigate these factors and win voters back that would have never entertained Corbyn being in charge, anecdotally speaking moronic voters view "leftys" as a threat to what they believe in and taking Brexit off the table Keir appeals more to these people whereas lazy communist scare tactics worked so easily with Corbyn. 

Corbyn wanted to leave the EU and didn’t really campaign for remain.

What Starmer has taken off the table is lukewarm centrist Social Democracy, which is what Corbyn was offering.

23 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:

Unionists: "Hey Scotland, the quickest way to stop the Tories is to vote Labour!"

Aye that's historically worked really well. Fucking state of the UK 😂 

It's a bizarre line give whatever England votes for, Scotland gets.  So If England vote the Tories in again, all of Scotland could vote for the Cock and Balls Party, it would make fuck all difference.

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

It's a bizarre line give whatever England votes for, Scotland gets.  So If England vote the Tories in again, all of Scotland could vote for the Cock and Balls Party, it would make f**k all difference.

That's pretty close tbf. The tories are basically the Cock and Balls Party, without the lubricant.

12 minutes ago, AndyM said:

What is it with these right wingers? if a child is hungry first and foremost you feed them, you don't squeal about their background. 

Maybe the 2 cap limit is a sensible way to get all of the never do wells to keep their pants up and their legs shut?  Child Poverty rates in Scotland primarily down to the fact that poor people continue to have large families.    The mentality of these people needs to change and when it does the problem of child poverty will significantly reduce.

Take a wander around any town centre and you will see people who clearly don't have a lot pushing prams around.

7 minutes ago, FFCinthearea said:

Maybe the 2 cap limit is a sensible way to get all of the never do wells to keep their pants up and their legs shut?  Child Poverty rates in Scotland primarily down to the fact that poor people continue to have large families.    The mentality of these people needs to change and when it does the problem of child poverty will significantly reduce.

Take a wander around any town centre and you will see people who clearly don't have a lot pushing prams around.

What? By having kids die of malnutrition?   That sounds like the sort of vote winning line you should take to your local Tory/UKIP candidate.

9 minutes ago, FFCinthearea said:

“Poor people continue to have large families”

why not make them less poor or have fewer poor people?

I suspect this is a trolling expedition and you don’t believe the evil shit you’re spouting, which would be bad but not irredeemable.

If you do believe the shite you’re spouting then you are an irredeemable C[redacted due to rules on personal abuse]

39 minutes ago, AndyM said:

Much of that was down to the Murdoch/Dacre media painting Corbyn as some sort of enemy of the state/terrorist pal  which of course was bullshit like most of the criticism of Corbyn.

I'm not going to apologise for liking Corbyn's policies, they were good and nationalising Rail and Water are popular with the public. Increasing broadband coverage and speed and making it dirt cheap again was a very good. policy. But Corbyn scared the establishment, he wasn't for sale and had Tory shill's screaming. His attitude to the individual of "If you earn a lot of money pay your taxes towards society and don't complain"  obviously terrified them. That and making companies who operate in the UK actually pay UK tax would have had Dacre soiling himself in rage.

I agree with most of your post however I think it's far too easy to lay all of his failures on the door of the media. He didn't exactly make it hard for them. There was a lot to have a go at him for that wasn't just media concocted bullshit. 

23 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Corbyn wanted to leave the EU and didn’t really campaign for remain.

What Starmer has taken off the table is lukewarm centrist Social Democracy, which is what Corbyn was offering.

I agree on your first part and have a goldfish memory so don't actually know if you're contesting a point here or agreeing. 

On the second part I don't know if it's as straight forward as that, thankfully Starmer isn't some far left fruit loop and if I could be arsed would probably argue he's still the candidate for lukewarm social democracy. I think it was @scottsdad who previously posted about under promising and over delivering which I believe is their strategy at the moment. Starmer certainly knows how to avoid setting up these media open goals that the previous leader struggled with. 

9 minutes ago, coprolite said:

“Poor people continue to have large families”

why not make them less poor or have fewer poor people?

I suspect this is a trolling expedition and you don’t believe the evil shit you’re spouting, which would be bad but not irredeemable.

If you do believe the shite you’re spouting then you are an irredeemable C[redacted due to rules on personal abuse]

They could be less poor by not overstretching themselves by having families and lifestyles which their incomes can't support.   Just a thought?    Or do you just want to make people less poor by handing out free money from the magic tree?

Edited by FFCinthearea

7 minutes ago, FFCinthearea said:

Or do you just want to make people less poor by handing out free money from the magic tree?

Why not? Politicians manage to do this for themselves to support lifestyles they wouldn't be able to afford otherwise.

16 minutes ago, FFCinthearea said:

They could be less poor by not overstretching themselves by having families and lifestyles which their incomes can't support.   Just a thought?    Or do you just want to make people less poor by handing out free money from the magic tree?

I don’t think that’s where money comes from. They make your car smell nice though.