What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

9 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

So have they actually made 6 pledges or is it 6 vague aspirations?

😂 Either way, he's leaving it late to backtrack on them before the election.

12 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

So have they actually made 6 pledges or is it 6 vague aspirations?

• Sticking to tough spending rules in order to deliver economic stability

• Setting up Great British Energy, a publicly owned clean power energy company

• Cutting NHS waiting lists by providing 40,000 more appointments each week - funded by tackling tax avoidance and non-dom loopholes.

• Launching a border security command to stop the gangs arranging small boat crossings

• Providing more neighbourhood police officers to reduce antisocial behaviour and introduced new penalties for offenders

• Recruiting 6,500 teachers, paid for through ending tax breaks for private schools.

It's difficult to argue against any of them except the first one, although it's depressing that there seems to be no need to ask where the funding for BORDER SECURTY COMMAND is coming from. I'm charitably assuming that BSC will be tasked with actually tackling people smugglers rather than sinking small boats in the channel or whatever.

44 minutes ago, Dan Steele said:

😂 Either way, he's leaving it late to backtrack on them before the election.

IMG_6141.gif.e1996ae95be4cdfe9d26303e969f2b75.gif

44 minutes ago, Alan Twelve said:

• Cutting NHS waiting lists by providing 40,000 more appointments each week - funded by tackling tax avoidance and non-dom loopholes.

• Launching a border security command to stop the gangs arranging small boat crossings

• Providing more neighbourhood police officers to reduce antisocial behaviour and introduced new penalties for offenders

• Recruiting 6,500 teachers, paid for through ending tax breaks for private schools.

It's difficult to argue against any of them except the first one, although it's depressing that there seems to be no need to ask where the funding for BORDER SECURTY COMMAND is coming from. I'm charitably assuming that BSC will be tasked with actually tackling people smugglers rather than sinking small boats in the channel or whatever.

This says it all.  “Vote for us and we’ll tinker at the edges, but don’t expect any real change because that would require some radical changes and we’re not really into that.”

1 hour ago, Alan Twelve said:

In other words Austerity 2.0 and stick to Tory spending plans and regressive legislation like the Bedroom Tax etc.

I absolutely love the branding on "Great British Energy" and the fact that they describe it without hitting any reactionary trigger words like "green", "environment" or "renewable".  

Must have been like till death do us part in the focus groups. 

Border Security Command sounds well hard too. The ww2 fantasist types will be aroused by that one. 

In summary :

- repeat Broonie's trick from 1997

- create two Nationalist propaganda vehicles. 

- Standard more NHS/Teachers/Bobbies on beat. 

An actual industrial policy around renewable energy would be an objective win, gammon branding aside. 

It's not enough to win me back. 

At least some figures are quoted, at least. Only half of it is Lib Dem style "we'll make things nicer" and "we want to make air smell better" stuff that they can't be held to as it doesn't actually promise anything.

The bar's on the floor, but it's better than nothing, I suppose.

There are threads for SNP BAD, FFS.

This is the thread for celebrating the excellent announcements that your party's leader has just made...unless you're still having a nervous breakdown about how underwhelming it all is, of course.

4 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

Is the border security command being set up in near Gretna and Berwick?

Fair enough.

No, The BSC will start in Maryhill, go to Alloa, split and end up in Dumbarton 

1 hour ago, Jedi2 said:

It's all okay though, as Emma Roddick now argues that 'Indy Shouldn't Mean the End of a Union with England'

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/the-national-scotland/20240515/281586655698529

Speaking of 'tinkering at the edges', now we need a 'co-operation' union with England...isn't that sort of called Devolution?

Still., when you have Murray Foote, former architect of the 'Vow' as Chief Exec, don't suppose its a surprise to see an SNP figure watering Indy down to an ongoing (but 'better' co-operative Devolution agreement (sorry 'Indy/Union')) with England. And the point of voting for an SNP which propose that is...?

Wrong thread m9

18 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Are YOU a little teapot?

3742.jpg?width=1900&dpr=1&s=none

Probably has hired some nonsense consultants who have said standing like that makes him more relatable or some bullshit.

It's like when the Conservatives went through that phase of standing legs apart and slightly squatting. 

13 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Probably has hired some nonsense consultants who have said standing like that makes him more relatable or some bullshit.

It's like when the Conservatives went through that phase of standing legs apart and slightly squatting. 

It makes me chuckle how 'relatable' always involves always wearing a suit and tie, or if being casual, suit trousers and a shirt without a tie.

29 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Big Theresa with massive "'mon then!" energy. George Osbourne patiently awaiting his daily kick in the balls from the prefect he's been fagging for. Sajid Javid about to break into his Elvis impression. Dave Cameron...eh, I think that's just him TBH.

power-pose.jpg?strip=all&w=960

Spoiler

power-pose-2.jpg?strip=all&w=693

11 hours ago, BFTD said:

At least some figures are quoted, at least. Only half of it is Lib Dem style "we'll make things nicer" and "we want to make air smell better" stuff that they can't be held to as it doesn't actually promise anything.

The bar's on the floor, but it's better than nothing, I suppose.

Not really.

“I know you haven’t eaten in two days so here’s half a Mars Bar”.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Not really.

“I know you haven’t eaten in two days so here’s half a Mars Bar”.

Ah, but just think how good that Mars Bar must taste to the starving who've spent the last couple of years getting excited at the promise of food, only to have every promise quietly withdrawn.

Not sure if this is the right thread, and maybe the blood scandal needs its own, but I saw Andy Burnham on BBC breakfast this morning trying to throw everyone else under the bus, while also constantly saying he hadn’t been able to do anything about it when he was health secretary because he “was so busy with the Hillsborough enquiry”. He was also demanding criminal charges for people in the department of health for the cover up, yet there was no challenge along the lines of “Which department were you in charge of, Andy?”

I don’t get why this guy is so highly thought of, he’s a complete fucking charlatan