What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

On 28/06/2023 at 12:33, Granny Danger said:

Isn’t Nandy supposed to be one of the more ‘left wing’ members of the shadow cabinet?

Just waiting for reintroduction of the Poor Laws and establishment of Workhouses.

We've been slowly inching towards that future for a long time. The 'success' of Brexit Britain is dependant on using an underclass of desperate labour compelled to work for their basic needs.

See the film Sorry to Bother You for a tongue-in-cheek vision of how I've been expecting the new workhouses to operate since David Cameron was prevented from having people forced to staff Poundland in exchange for benefit money, and basic rent costs skyrocketed. Plus, it's a really good film anyway.

On 01/07/2023 at 09:54, StellarHibee said:

Labour apparently ruling out any possibility of water re-nationalization south of the border if they win the next election. 😂

Got to hand it to Starmer. He know's his ideology and hasn't held back.

Maybe the idea will be to force the b*****ds to actually spend the necessary money to repair and upgrade the water network that they inherited, as they should have been for all these years, without offsetting the cost to the public. Then get everything back for free when they all declare bankruptcy in a blind panic.

Nah, it'll be a commitment to prevent water companies charging too much for emergency supplies from tankers. For a few years.

I can name a dozen things Starmer is against, and almost nothing he is in favour of. Policy is a bit thin on the ground.

What is weird, from the outside, is watching a Labour leader stick a middle finger up to every policy endorsed by the Labour membership. The same membership he gulled into voting for him on the basis of those pledges that he then abandoned.

I don't think it will be quite the vote winner he thinks it will be. I hate tories. Thoroughly sick of them.

But pseudo-suckup-tories somehow manage to be even worse.

Sir Peter Butterworth apparently won't say whether he agrees with expanding London's low emissions zone. He's making a principled stand against annoying either the environmental lobby or the motoring lobby.

A completely pointless party led by the biggest Tory in the country.  It baffles my why anyone in Scotland votes for these losers.

9 minutes ago, CarrbridgeSaintee said:

Wow.. even beaten considerably by the Tories 😮

Looks like the Green party prevented SNP getting 2nd. What a genius idea it was getting into bed with them 👏 

Edited by RuMoore

1 minute ago, betting competition said:

Must have been a long time since the SNP have come 3rd in a council election in Scotland that hasn't had independents winning or 2nd.  Looks like tough time ahead for the SNP.  

Although noticeable that the independent who got about 18% of the vote last time didn't stand this time. I don't take much stock from council elections but it does seem worth investigating what the thoughts were locally.

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

A completely pointless party led by the biggest Tory in the country.  It baffles my why anyone in Scotland votes for these losers.

I wonder why too. Watching Starmer shit on everything that Labour used to represent, in addition to embracing Brexit and British Nationalism is a most repellent combination. They don't have policies for Scotland; they don't have a coherent environmental policy either. Its just empty gestures and tweaking round the edges with no significant change.

3 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Very much this, as the Conservative party moves ever rightwards towards US Libertarian policies Starmer's iteration of the Labour Party seems closer to the Conservative "Wets" than old or even New Labour.