What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

2 hours ago, Zern said:

UK legislation. Public Order Act. Govt uses a statutory amendment to change the definition of the main legislation by the back door. Green/LibDem/ind table a Fatal Motion to prevent this.

Labour abstain.

Tories win.

I quickly read this. There are several bits where it says not in Scotland, so I was just trying to figure out the impact on us. 

https://twitter.com/CPhilpOfficial/status/1668898789275455489

Edited by Soapy FFC

16 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

I quickly read this. There are several bits where it says not in Scotland, so I was just trying to figure out the impact on us. 

https://twitter.com/CPhilpOfficial/status/1668898789275455489

Not certain with how that might affect Scotland specifically. Will complicate things. From what i understand the Public Order Act passed prior to the Coronation. In order for it to pass the House of Lards, amendments were made, certain things were taken out or clarified.

What happened here was the Home Secretary, Suella Braverman used a statutory instrument to put back parts that were removed by the upper house without debate in either. The Fatal motion was intended to prevent her amendments from happening.

This is same bill that Starmer said he 'wants to bed in" by the way.

37 minutes ago, Zern said:

House of Lards

Nice!

That Thornberry quote sounds perilously close to the naivety displayed by the Democrats in America, obsessed by playing by the rules only for the opposition to screw them over at every turn.

Although, much like America, the issue is likely more that Labour isn't really terribly fussed about right-wing policies being enacted now, and they're hoping to be able to use the Lords as an excuse for doing nothing in a few years' time.

5 hours ago, Soapy FFC said:

I'm unclear, do these new powers apply to Scotland, or just England Wales. I've glanced through the text of the SI used but can't really get my headt round it.

England and Wales only on the face of it.

Scots Criminal law is a devolved matter (and we've had a separate legal system even after 1707) and looking at the Act it mentions a lot of English laws and acts.

When there is a cross UK Act e.g. Proceeds of Crime Act 2003 it usually has separate Scottish sections within the Act 

8 hours ago, BTFD said:

Nice!

That Thornberry quote sounds perilously close to the naivety displayed by the Democrats in America, obsessed by playing by the rules only for the opposition to screw them over at every turn.

Although, much like America, the issue is likely more that Labour isn't really terribly fussed about right-wing policies being enacted now, and they're hoping to be able to use the Lords as an excuse for doing nothing in a few years' time.

But how can they do that when they're scrapping the House of Lords.......oh, 

On 15/06/2023 at 07:27, Suspect Device said:

But how can they do that when they're scrapping the House of Lords.......oh, 

This very day, it's announced that Smuggy Smugface Jackie Baillie is to become Dame Smuggy Smugface.

No, I know dames don't qualify for the HoL, but it's the same corrupt honours system.

1 hour ago, KirkieRR said:

This very day, it's announced that Smuggy Smugface Jackie Baillie is to become Dame Smuggy Smugface.

No, I know dames don't qualify for the HoL, but it's the same corrupt honours system.

A gong for services to Unionism ... And Gregg's 

Personally I consider it an honour that I've never been nominated for an honour 

Kuenssberg (I know, I know) said it already had. Sarwar was one of her interviewees.

All self-inflicted by the SNP. There are no posiive reasons to vote Labour in Scotland (in England I'd vote for them to get the Tories out - no other reason).

Interesting that while the SNP has shot itself repeatedly in the foot, leg, arm, head etc, Wee Wings Stu has been kicking away at the twitching corpse. His fantroop bay and cheer and await the rise of ALBA and the scond coming of Eck. But the lost votes are not going to the electorally comical ALBA, they're going to Labour.

I wonder if that was Mad Stu's aim all along.

On 18/06/2023 at 11:06, KirkieRR said:

Kuenssberg (I know, I know) said it already had. Sarwar was one of her interviewees.

All self-inflicted by the SNP. There are no posiive reasons to vote Labour in Scotland (in England I'd vote for them to get the Tories out - no other reason).

Interesting that while the SNP has shot itself repeatedly in the foot, leg, arm, head etc, Wee Wings Stu has been kicking away at the twitching corpse. His fantroop bay and cheer and await the rise of ALBA and the scond coming of Eck. But the lost votes are not going to the electorally comical ALBA, they're going to Labour.

I wonder if that was Mad Stu's aim all along.

He said he was going to vote Tory in Bath after they banned the GRR act.