How does plastic get in the ocean?

I googled this because I was curious how such a phenomenal amount got there just by blowing in the wind from landfill sites or from stuff like water bottles left on the beach by holiday makers. Turns out there are very different explanations, and a way to massively reduce it could be much simpler than I thought. Just stop dumping rubbish in the river.

The Greenpeace explanation

Another explanation

And a pretty video showing how vital it is to do something.

More worrying and arguably more dangerous to humans is how did all that water get into the oceans? 

That's a drowning accident waiting to happen. 

It would be far safer if the oceans were filled with those plastic balls you get at the softplay centres IMO.

47 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

I put it there.

A wee bit at a time. Whenever I'm at the seaside or walking by a major waterway I drop wee bits of plastic in.

I've been doing it for years.

I knew it!

1 hour ago, Sweet Pete said:

I put it there.

A wee bit at a time. Whenever I'm at the seaside or walking by a major waterway I drop wee bits of plastic in.

Great Escape style so the hippies don't know its you or are you more overt in a 'f**k you' to hippies everywhere ?

Just now, chomp my root said:

Great Escape style so the hippies don't know its you or are you more overt in a 'f**k you' to hippies everywhere ?

I just always have wee bits of plastic in my pockets, and need to put them somewhere.

2 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

More worrying and arguably more dangerous to humans is how did all that water get into the oceans? 

It would be far safer if the oceans were filled with those plastic balls you get at the softplay centres IMO.

Some fanny would just dump all their water in the plastic ocean. Its lose lose

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Some fanny would just dump all their water in the plastic ocean. Its lose lose

That’s a fair point. Maybe someone should think about how to recycle water into a safer more environmentally product like coal or petrol.

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

That’s a fair point. Maybe someone should think about how to recycle water into a safer more environmentally product like coal or petrol.

Dehydrate it into a powder then when you need water you just add some.

4 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

You jest but high levels of Dihydrogen Monoxide are often associated with large bodies of water.

Large doses of this chemical have previously been linked to mass fatalities.  It is found in the bodies of victims of anthrax poisoning and in the lungs of people killed by mustard gas.  This is the real danger.

5 hours ago, Sweet Pete said:

I put it there.

Did you set fire to Saddleworth Moor?

Archived