France vs Belgium

lichtie23

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, nsr said:

Anyone else a bit confused by the commentators drooling over Mbappe all throughout the second half? France were mostly sitting in and containing Belgium. He wasn't doing an awful lot up the other end.

But what little he did, he did quickly, and at such a young age, too...

1 hour ago, J_Stewart said:

That there’s even a discussion about “class” or “morality” when we’re talking about a team trying to see out a one nil win in the last five minutes of a World Cup semi-final is why we, as a nation, are such complete fucking losers. Haven’t qualified for a tournament in 20 years, and it’s due in no small part to this pathetic lack of professionalism.

You’re talking about professional footballers, the job of whom it is to win football games, by whichever means necessary, trying to get to the biggest game that their nation can possibly play in, and by extension, that they can play in (with prestige, increased profile and sponsorships thrown in). It’s absolute fucking nonsense to suggest that they should be doing anything other than making sure they get there, by doing whatever they possibly can.

Hypothetical one, Scotland are in the final game of the next qualifying, need a point to go through, it’s 0-0, 92nd minute, opposition are clean through and Andy Robertson wipes him out on the half way line for a straight red. Do you find it similarly repugnant? If not, why is that piece of game killing cheating more acceptable to you?

i'll never understand the faux outrage at these tactics , if we are in that situation we should be doing absolutely everything to watse time, break up play and whatever else we can do.

That there’s even a discussion about “class” or “morality” when we’re talking about a team trying to see out a one nil win in the last five minutes of a World Cup semi-final is why we, as a nation, are such complete fucking losers. Haven’t qualified for a tournament in 20 years, and it’s due in no small part to this pathetic lack of professionalism.

You’re talking about professional footballers, the job of whom it is to win football games, by whichever means necessary, trying to get to the biggest game that their nation can possibly play in, and by extension, that they can play in (with prestige, increased profile and sponsorships thrown in). It’s absolute fucking nonsense to suggest that they should be doing anything other than making sure they get there, by doing whatever they possibly can.

Hypothetical one, Scotland are in the final game of the next qualifying, need a point to go through, it’s 0-0, 92nd minute, opposition are clean through and Andy Robertson wipes him out on the half way line for a straight red. Do you find it similarly repugnant? If not, why is that piece of game killing cheating more acceptable to you?

If the hypothetical situation with Scotland was like France last night (mainly Mbappe towards the end of the game being a total dick) then I’d be equally embarrassed for whichever Scottish player was behaving like that. It would make me question why my value system wants anything to do with that kind of football.

For some reason it’s the time wasting at the end of matches which really bothers me. Especially when it’s snide stuff like last night. If someone was wiped out on the halfway line it wouldn’t bother me as much.

3 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

If the hypothetical situation with Scotland was like France last night (mainly Mbappe towards the end of the game being a total dick) then I’d be equally embarrassed for whichever Scottish player was behaving like that. It would make me question why my value system wants anything to do with that kind of football.

"value system" :lol:

Go get your hole m8

i'll never understand the faux outrage at these tactics , if we are in that situation we should be doing absolutely everything to watse time, break up play and whatever else we can do.

Pair of c***s found !

If you're guaranteed not to get caught would you be happy for the sfa to shuffle a bung to the referee?

For some reason it’s the time wasting at the end of matches which really bothers me. Especially when it’s snide stuff like last night. If someone was wiped out on the halfway line it wouldn’t bother me as much.

It’s quite possible that watching professional football might not be the right hobby for you

So essentially you find it more palatable for a player to do physical harm to another, than to waste a bit of time.

That’s some “value system” you have.

So essentially you find it more palatable for a player to do physical harm to another, than to waste a bit of time.

That’s some “value system” you have.
Then at least it would be out in the open rather than underhand.

Sportsmanship is a thing, and although professionalism (extreme professionalism in the case of top level football) has dented it slightly - it's still a thing.

Are those professional snooker players who call fouls on themselves just utter morons then?

"value system" :lol:
Go get your hole m8

How dare you!

Now remind me, are you the man who likes sitting in an Aldi car park in Livingston scoffing mini rolls before watching some no-mark Scottish football game?

Then at least it would be out in the open rather than underhand.

Sportsmanship is a thing, and although professionalism (extreme professionalism in the case of top level football) has dented it slightly - it's still a thing.

Are those professional snooker players who call fouls on themselves just utter morons then?
Its all what you consider as part of the game. Taking someone out is part of the game as its just a tackle, albeit done in a cynical way.

Timewasting/diving etc rankle more because they are seen as more traditional cheating/conning. The professional foul is also almost always concomitant with punishment from the ref whereas sometimes diving is rewarded.

53 minutes ago, Tommy Nooka said:

Hazard had a much better game than Mbappe and that's why he'll be Ronaldos replacement at Real Madrid. Although I wouldn't put it past them signing Mbappe in the next few years as well.

Did he though? He had a lot of the ball, and a few good runs, but did he have that many good outcomes?

Belgium had a huge amount of possession, but did very little with it. If Hazard had a great game as an attacker, you'd expect them to have had far more of a threat.

3 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Did he though? He had a lot of the ball, and a few good runs, but did he have that many good outcomes?

Belgium had a huge amount of possession, but did very little with it. If Hazard had a great game as an attacker, you'd expect them to have had far more of a threat.

I could say the exact same about Mbappe but he showed less technical ability than Hazard imo. Only difference being the commentators wanking themselves silly over Mbappes every touch.

1 minute ago, Tommy Nooka said:

I could say the exact same about Mbappe but he showed less technical ability than Hazard imo. Only difference being the commentators wanking themselves silly over Mbappes every touch.

I'm not for a minute suggesting Mbappe had a brilliant game either, but it seems to be turning into "Hazard or Mbappe" when the answer was probably Varane, Matuidi or Pogba!

21 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

How dare you!

Now remind me, are you the man who likes sitting in an Aldi car park in Livingston scoffing mini rolls before watching some no-mark Scottish football game?

Living the dream, m8. 

I'll continue enjoying my life, you continue seething that people time wasting are far more successful than you'll ever be. 

Living the dream, m8. 
I'll continue enjoying my life, you continue seething that people time wasting are far more successful than you'll ever be. 

Even your patter is bland and unoriginal. Away and fix a car.

1 minute ago, Scary Bear said:

Even your patter is bland and unoriginal. Away and fix a car.

Surprised insulting people is part of your "value system", tbh. 

Archived