The normalisation of the far-right continues

Guest Bob Mahelp

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

It’s aspirational 

People don’t necessarily vote for what’s actually best for them but for what they think will be best for them in their own deluded fantasies.

Lots of stupid people think that they will become very wealthy simply by owning increasingly expensive houses and are too stupid to realise that they might not do that, and even if they do they’ll take on increasingly large mortgages that would also come out of their estate. 

There are millions of stupid people and stupid people are disproportionately likely to vote Tory.

Low income workers in Basildon and East Grinstead will vote for this despite having a minuscule chance of it saving them money just because they can picture themselves living in a mansion.

It’s the Mark Twain thing (I’m sure, anyway, 99% of these things are Twain) that ‘there are no poor people, only temporarily embarrassed millionaires’ 

6 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

It's probably the case that the very rich do not pay the tax as it stands because they can easily pay wealth managers to put all their money outwith the scope of the tax. The people who do pay it are the everyday "accidentally wealthy" people who happen to have been in a house for 30 odd years that's increased in value and have retired from a reasonably paid job and taken a lump sum from their pension. The tax needs to be reformed so that it's not just these people who pay it, but the really wealthy that it's intended to hit, but who get missed every time.

1 hour ago, StellarHibee said:

"I'm not poor, I just haven't made it yet in my dead end McDonald's job flipping burgers 60 hours a week. I'm voting tory!" - The English electorate in a nutshell

Jeff Bezos used to flip burgers at McDonalds before he got a massive loan from his parents to help start up his own business. 

Inheritance tax would stop other parents helping their own kids to become billionaires too.

It is so unfair.  Boo hoo.

4 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Jeff Bezos used to flip burgers at McDonalds before he got a massive loan from his parents to help start up his own business. 

Inheritance tax would stop other parents helping their own kids to become billionaires too.

It is so unfair.  Boo hoo.

It wouldn't as long as Bezos' parents lived for 7 years after giving him the cash or he paid back the loan.

And they happened to be subject to UK tax laws.

3 hours ago, StellarHibee said:

"I'm not poor, I just haven't made it yet in my dead end McDonald's job flipping burgers 60 hours a week. I'm voting tory!" - The English electorate in a nutshell

Also "I've finally made into a £35k middle-management role, fucked myself financially with a mortgage and car lease that I can't afford, and I'll be buggered if I'm going to let the minimum-wage scum take anything from me or my contemporaries Jacob Rees-Mogg and Boris Johnson."

28 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Extremely cool that the leader of the UK’s (nominally) more left wing party has been pandering to these exact views for years now. 

It’s all very depressing.  What’s more depressing is that membership of the supposedly more radical and socially acceptable alternative in Scotland came within a few thousand votes of electing a right-wing, self confessed homophobe as party leader.

We live in interesting desperate times.

43 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

It’s all very depressing.  What’s more depressing is that membership of the supposedly more radical and socially acceptable alternative in Scotland came within a few thousand votes of electing a right-wing, self confessed homophobe as party leader.

We live in interesting desperate times.

No they didn't and no serious commentator would share as such 

1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Extremely cool that the leader of the UK’s (nominally) more left wing party has been pandering to these exact views for years now. 

They appear to have encountered Middle England's most left-wing swing voter. 

Edited by DrewDon

On 15/07/2023 at 17:59, Suspect Device said:

It wouldn't as long as Bezos' parents lived for 7 years after giving him the cash or he paid back the loan.

And they happened to be subject to UK tax laws.

One good reason for a proper wealth tax. 

And rebuilding the empire

On 27/07/2023 at 18:46, eindhovendee said:

Byline Times don't seem to be letting up.

Screenshot_20230727_204227_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e45265eece55b419ff25bbf22f2fc1b4.jpgScreenshot_20230727_204236_Chrome.thumb.jpg.246a8ce3a0b0c436787f1f68dd659aaa.jpg

Private Eye has also piled in.  Normally I'm a bit reluctant to endorse public exposure like this but in Wootton's case I'll happily make an exception.

And given the demographic of the tiny GB News viewership I think he'll be lucky to reach three figures in his appeal.