Israel lobby v Corbyn

Jdog

6 hours ago, btb said:

Ultimately spinning a politician who doesn't shy away from criticising Israel and portraying them as an anti-semite is a very simple trope that the right wing have figured out is highly effective.

I'd urge Labour and the US democrat nominees to just shy away from criticising Israel at all. I don't believe doing so is anti-semitic, but it's so easy for the right-wing to spin it that way that I think it's better to just suck up to Israel.

13 minutes ago, Donathan said:

I'd urge Labour and the US democrat nominees to just shy away from criticising Israel at all. I don't believe doing so is anti-semitic, but it's so easy for the right-wing to spin it that way that I think it's better to just suck up to Israel.

^^^Israeli embassy deputy assistant, public affairs.

On 30/11/2019 at 12:05, pandarilla said:

I'm certainly not advocating conspiracy - but I go back to the point about money and wealth.

That's where we, as a society, have to be able to question those in positions of power.

It's quite simple really. Questioning them using their position to affect world finances and protect their wealth is fair game. Bringing up their religion is irrelevant and discriminatory.  

This election highlighted the willingness and ability of the pro-Zionists to use their voices and influence to exaggerate the issue of anti-Semitism in order to meet a political end.  That end being to help elect a government who will ignore Israel’s treatment of Palestinians.

They were able to push the issue to the fore to the extent that it had far more coverage than issues such as poverty.  They were also able to convince people that Corbyn, a man who has fought discrimination his whole life, was personally an anti-Semite.

In this task the Zionist lobby was ably assisted by the MSM.

The idea that such a repugnant ‘pressure group’ could influence the election is worrying.

20 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

They were also able to convince people that Corbyn, a man who has fought discrimination his whole life, was personally an anti-Semite.

Don't think that's true. Throughout this it's been said that no-one believes that Corbyn is an anti-Semite himself, but he has some very anti-Semitic friends and there has been a rise in anti-Semitism in the Labour party coinciding with the mass increase of membership under his leadership.

https://medium.com/@sararoseofficial/everything-i-never-wanted-to-have-to-know-about-labour-and-antisemitism-649b5bc1e576 

22 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

This election highlighted the willingness and ability of the pro-Zionists to use their voices and influence to exaggerate the issue of anti-Semitism in order to meet a political end.  That end being to help elect a government who will ignore Israel’s treatment of Palestinians....

Corbyn's handling of the Andrew Neil interview was disastrous for Labour. If Labour had chosen a better leader, this issue would never have been a problem for them.

30 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Corbyn's handling of the Andrew Neil interview was disastrous for Labour. If Labour had chosen a better leader, this issue would never have been a problem for them.

I think under a different leader it might have been more difficult.  If it was a different leader who had a history of being critical of Israel and of supporting the Palestinian cause then it would still have happened.

Whatever my misgivings of Corbyn, having a leader of a major political party who is willing to be vocal in his opposition of Israel’s treatment of the Palestinians is a positive thing.  You may disagree.

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

...having a leader of a major political party who is willing to be vocal in his opposition of Israel’s treatment of the Palestinians is a positive thing.  You may disagree.

You are completely missing the point of what the criticisms of Corbyn have been about on this.

Too much tolerance of people who cross the line from being anti-Israeli policy in the occupied territories to being outright anti-Jewish. With any of the other leadership contenders that ran against Corbyn this would not have been a major issue.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

3 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Too much tolerance of people who cross the line from being anti-Israeli policy in the occupied territories to being outright anti-Jewish. With any of the other leadership contenders that ran against Corbyn this would not have been a major issue.

If you want to believe that pro-Zionist supporters only target genuine anti-Semites and not anti-Zionists then you carry on and believe it.

If you want to believe that the level of coverage of supposed anti-Semitism during the election campaign and the months preceding it compared to, for example child poverty in the UK, was proportionate then again you carry on and believe it.

That has nothing whatsoever to do with I wrote. All you are doing is building strawman arguments. Labour didn't need to select a leader who thought that it was a good idea to describe Hamas as his "friends" or who thought it was a good idea to appear on Iran's Press TV and if they hadn't the anti-semitism issue would barely even have registered in recent years. Corbyn has been a disaster as Labour leader, so we can now look forward to Brexit and five years of Boris with none of the checks and balances that the American system has to contain what Trump can get up to.

4 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Which people?

I look forward to you providing some verifiable evidence of the effect of perceived anti-Semitism on the Labour vote.

The only verifiable fact that matters at this point is that Corbyn lost the election. His car crash interview with Andrew Neil coincided with Labour support hitting a glass ceiling in the low 30s in the opinion polls which no amount of wishful thinking about supposed narrowing gaps and unexpectedly high youth turnouts was going to turn into a Labour victory.

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The only verifiable fact that matters at this point is that Corbyn lost the election. His car crash interview with Andrew Neil coincided with Labour support hitting a glass ceiling in the low 30s in the opinion polls which no amount of wishful thinking about supposed narrowing gaps and unexpectedly high youth turnouts was going to turn into a Labour victory.

That is shocking.  You start off by criticising Corbyn for supposed anti-Semitism then, without any justification or evidence, lay his defeat at that door.

I think you will know that this is a totally illogical position to adopt.

FWIW I think you will find unanimous agreement on here that Corbyn was a terrible leader and the Labour campaign was woeful.

At least Corbyn wasn’t afraid to face Andrew Neil unlike our present Prime Minster.

Strawman after strawman. Far left politicians like Corbyn and Galloway who are willing to take money from Press TV despite Iran's dismal human rights record are going to come under intense scrutiny when they suddenly decide human rights are important from a moral standpoint in an Israeli context. 

I don't care whether Corbyn is personally anti-semitic or not it's what doing stuff like that says about his judgement and fitness for office that was important and which made him such a soft target for Andrew Neil.

11 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

Don't think that's true. Throughout this it's been said that no-one believes that Corbyn is an anti-Semite himself, but he has some very anti-Semitic friends and there has been a rise in anti-Semitism in the Labour party coinciding with the mass increase of membership under his leadership.

https://medium.com/@sararoseofficial/everything-i-never-wanted-to-have-to-know-about-labour-and-antisemitism-649b5bc1e576 

This submission by the Jewish Labour Movement to the E.R.H.C. is well worth a read.

It begins at the fifth paragraph. 

And you don't need to be Jewish to be shocked by it.

I believe the report comes out in January .

It will be scathing of the Labour Party imo.

Edited by sureiknow