Israel lobby v Corbyn

Jdog

31 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

All large British Rail Hotels back in the 1950's and onwards were government owned, so if a Jew for instance called say Turnberry or Gleneagles for instance and asked for a room and gave his name as Rubenstein or similar he or she would be told that the hotel was fully booked.

Where did you hear this?

3 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Stamboul Train by Graham Greene is good for this - the social norms of the time are quite shocking to us now but are described so matter of factedly in it.

The John Buchan (39 Steps) thrillers are full of it.

3 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Jacksgranda is correct that the term Semitic is still actively used to cover both Jewish and Arabic culture in some contexts, so it's never been clear to me why anti-Jewish isn't used when that's what people really mean.

This is the most pressing issue in the fight against hatred of the Jewish people.

So, The Labour Party whose last leader was Jewish is now anti Semitic?

Even for Corbyn, that’s some f*****g turnaround!

Edited by GOG

Just watched the Panarama show.
Oh dear Jezza!
You just can't help your true side coming out.
The 16 Egyptpian Border Guards murdered. Straight in blaming Israel.
It's always the Jews. And that is the way the far left think.

You are a moron.

Where did he equate Jews with Israel.

Only you did that - and that is telling.

56 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

You are a moron.

Where did he equate Jews with Israel.

Only you did that - and that is telling.

To be honest I don't know if you can just bat aside that when Russia poisons someone he wants full evidence before starting the blame game but he has no such qualms about accusing Israel sans evidence. I do not think he is an antisemite but that is the one thing in this apparent smear campaign which gives me pause for thought. 

1 hour ago, GOG said:

So, The Labour Party whose last leader was Jewish is now anti Semitic?

Even for Corbyn, that’s some f*****g turnaround!

The point that is made time and again in the Panorama programme is that the culture of the Labour party changed after the massive influx of new members that accompanied Jeremy Corbyn becoming the leader.

17 hours ago, Detournement said:

Where did you hear this?

Many years ago by an insider in the upmarket hotel trade.

Anti Semitism by the upper classes was rife, it was not so much antagonistic but more of a 'done thing'.

Have a look at Mixufixit's post further back.

The contempt reaches back to the Napoleonic Campaigns where large sums of money were quietly loaned to Wellingtons army and other European aristocracy's by Nathan Rothschild, look up his bio on Wiki for a clearer view and the unsubstantiated blame attached to his family who it was rumoured had advance information of the outcome of the Battle of Waterloo, which enabled them to make millions on the LSE. 

I don't doubt that anti Semitism was rife amongst the upper class but I'm not sure how that filters through to Jews being blackballed in nationalised hotels in the 1950s?

It's not like the Duke of Argyle would have been answering the phone at the Central Hotel in Glasgow.