Things that make you cringe

Just now, Margaret Thatcher said:

Guy who was on my fb (removed him yesterday, on his birthday) from down here has just recently started following England. About 18 years old. Started with the #FREETOMMY shite. Then on Tues posted a "never forget" type meme. He was one year old when it happened. Who'd have thought 9/11 is cause celebre among the right wing these days.

Maybe a stupid post, the American right have always loved it.

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I meant to post this yesterday but I'd like to add, the desperate look-at-me "Never Forget" posts that half-wits make every September 11. Look, assuming they were old enough to be aware of the events at the time and aren't certifiably senile...how the f**k could anyone have possibly forgotten?
"Oh that's right! There was a major terrorist attack which killed 3,000 people, led directly to two wars and shaped world events for the last 17 years. I completely forgot that happened." 

Someone I follow on twitter gave it the you’ll never really appreciate what happened on “9/11”* if you’ve never been to New York with a photo of the ground zero memorial they took (I think it’s called) and something about how they’d obviously been and were much more traumatised? than anyone who hadn’t been.
Aye, you’ve been to New York, it’s cool, we get it.
* simply because I’m not in to back to front dates. Get them at work often and it’s a nonsense. Just write September 11th (or said date) if you know the other person works with another date format or whatever you’d call it.

2 hours ago, NJ2 said:

Someone I follow on twitter gave it the you’ll never really appreciate what happened on “9/11”* if you’ve never been to New York with a photo of the ground zero memorial they took (I think it’s called) and something about how they’d obviously been and were much more traumatised? than anyone who hadn’t been.
Aye, you’ve been to New York, it’s cool, we get it.
* simply because I’m not in to back to front dates. Get them at work often and it’s a nonsense. Just write September 11th (or said date) if you know the other person works with another date format or whatever you’d call it.

I went to ground zero when it was just a big hole. I can honestly say that it didn’t give me any insight into what it was like when it was collapsing skyscrapers. It looked a bit like cross rail.  

6 hours ago, Darren said:

"Scottish Twitter." The phrase alone is enough.

As much as I'm pleased for the people of Dundee, I can't help but find all the fanfare around the V&A a bit cringeworthy as well.

I find the anti poverty campaigners who are screeching about the V&A to be cringeworthy as f**k.

Some councillor was in the paper the other day whining because the people of Lochee can't afford the bus fair to go and visit it. Just walk then you c***s, it would only take half an hour....

I went to ground zero when it was just a big hole. I can honestly say that it didn’t give me any insight into what it was like when it was collapsing skyscrapers. It looked a bit like cross rail.  
Aye this.

The menorial is nice. And I have heard that the museum/tour thingy is pretty harrowing.

That said, there is no appreciation of planes hurtling into massive buildings which you are in or beside, which then fall down killing thousands of people. Its carnage on a scale one cant actually comprehend. So aye, not really any the wiser having been there tbqhwy.

Aye this.

The menorial is nice. And I have heard that the museum/tour thingy is pretty harrowing.

That said, there is no appreciation of planes hurtling into massive buildings which you are in or beside, which then fall down killing thousands of people. Its carnage on a scale one cant actually comprehend. So aye, not really any the wiser having been there tbqhwy.

You know what makes me cringe even more than the ‘you had to be there man’ facebook posts? The fact they have gift shops with 9/11 memorabilia all around the WTC site, Americans seem incapable of having something without a means to profit from it. The same can be said for Arlington Cemetery, which also has a huge gift shop.

When people walk around town after work with their work lanyards on full show.  Aberdeen seems to be particularly bad for this.

I don't buy the "people are so used to it they forget it's there argument", the majority are clearly a shower of "look at me and where I work" wan*ers.  

In fact, from now on, I shall call them Lanyard Wan*kers.

9 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

When people walk around town after work with their work lanyards on full show.  Aberdeen seems to be particularly bad for this.

I don't buy the "people are so used to it they forget it's there argument", the majority are clearly a shower of "look at me and where I work" wan*ers.  

Totally agree with your sentiment, but lets not pretend you just made up the phrase Lanyard Wankers 

1 minute ago, Mr X said:

Totally agree with your sentiment, but lets not pretend you just made up the phrase Lanyard Wankers 

I genuinely did.  However, having searched it, it would indeed appear that I'm not the first.  Great minds etc etc.

That said, I don't expect you to believe me.  I know I wouldn't if it was the other way around!

In Aberdeen, the lanyard is often accompanied by an oil company branded fleece or soft shell. Which is much worse.

8 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

In Aberdeen, the lanyard is often accompanied by an oil company branded fleece or soft shell. Which is much worse.

They are indeed everywhere, but lets not turn down a free GoreTex jacket worth £100+ because of a little logo now (although for a cheapy softshell then fair enough).  I've never owned one, but would probably take it tbh, seeing as every other **** has one as you point out.

A difference is that it doesn't necessarily reflect where the person works, more a clever bit of marketing where it'll actually be seen places rather than spend it on company branded tat that it'll end up in the bin.  Flash drives are the other good one and I have two in my machine just now.  Anybody in Aberdeen spending money on one of these is 'doing it wrong'.

They are indeed everywhere, but lets not turn down a free GoreTex jacket worth £100+ because of a little logo now.  I've never owned one, but would probably take it tbh, seeing as every other **** has one as you point out.
A difference is that it doesn't necessarily reflect where the person works, more a clever bit of marketing where it'll actually be seen places rather than spend it on company branded tat that it'll end up in the bin.  Flash drives are the other good one and I have two in my machine just now.  Anybody in Aberdeen spending money on one of these is 'doing it wrong'.
I have had a couple of fleeces in my time and a Helly Hansen jacket. There is no way on this earth any of them would ever be considered for use outside of work premises tbh.

Cuntish behaviour.

37 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

wankyards ?

Archived