Nipper Salmond

RadgerTheBadger

The winners will be the Unionist press, who will delight in using this against the independence movement.  
It beggars belief that Salmond would risk endangering his lifetime's work, to satisfy his own ego. 
Maybe, but we must not forget that the two pieces of dogshit which are currently stuck to Sturgeon's shoe were deposited by Alex Salmons and Margaret Ferrier respectively. Sturgeon is well able to fight her own and the SNP's corner and I hope that is what continues to happen, even if there is collateral damage to individuals, and perhaps close to home, in order to draw a line under these issues.

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
3 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:
The winners will be the Unionist press, who will delight in using this against the independence movement.  
It beggars belief that Salmond would risk endangering his lifetime's work, to satisfy his own ego. 

Maybe, but we must not forget that the two pieces of dogshit which are currently stuck to Sturgeon's shoe were deposited by Alex Salmons and Margaret Ferrier respectively. Sturgeon is well able to fight her own and the SNP's corner and I hope that is what continues to happen, even if there is collateral damage to individuals, and perhaps close to home, in order to draw a line under these issues.

Ferrier should have instantly resigned and Salmond should shut the f**k up and stop doing the Unionists work for them. 

They're both driven by selfish self-interest and seem totally unconcerned about the consequences of their actions. 

Not that I've thought about it for years but I am still a bit surprised at Salmond given he did do the right thing in 2014 and resigned. That seemed like an acknowledgment that he personally had fucked up ala McDonnell in 2019 unlike, say, Cameron's resignation which was leaving the mess he created to someone else.

ETA: that could well be me just projecting my own biased interpretation onto events. Maybe Salmond just took the emptying in 2017 particularly badly.

Edited by NotThePars

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, Detournement said:

It's incredible what being framed as sex criminal does to a person....

He wasn't 'framed as a sex criminal'. 

Allegations of misconduct were passed on to the police and PF and they decided there was enough evidence to go to trial. He was found not guilty of charges, but enough evidence was introduced to suggest strongly that his behaviour was morally unacceptable, especially given the powerful position he held. 

The SNP didn't frame him, or take him to trial, or whatever. But it would have been remiss of them to brush all this under the carpet and pretend it never happened. 

Salmond's vast ego is now lashing out. He obviously doesn't care what collateral damage he causes. 

51 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

He wasn't 'framed as a sex criminal'. 

Allegations of misconduct were passed on to the police and PF and they decided there was enough evidence to go to trial. He was found not guilty of charges, but enough evidence was introduced to suggest strongly t hat his behaviour was morally unacceptable, especially given the powerful position he held. 

The SNP didn't frame him, or take him to trial, or whatever. But it would have been remiss of them to brush all this under the carpet and pretend it never happened. 

Salmond's vast ego is now lashing out. He obviously doesn't care what collateral damage he causes. 

That point I totally agree with.

12 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Peter Murrell was urging the police to open as many investigations as possible because his suited his - and presumably his wife's - political ends.

Or maybe he believed the accusers deserved a hearing. It was all in the middle of #metoo after all. Can you imagine the reaction if they'd tried to protect Salmond?

Edited by welshbairn

9 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

He took the Russia Today money to satisfy his own ego well before any sexual assault allegation came out. Who is that show for? A tiny audience and no wider reach for anyone in Scotland. It was a vanity project that lined his pockets while tarnishing the independence cause.

10 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Yes, someone that has went through the processes that Salmond has had to go through is 100% doing it for his ego.  Nothing to do with a belief that he has been unfairly treated.  If Nicola has shit on her shoe then she should probably look a little closer to home for the culprit.

46 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Or maybe he believed the accusers deserved a hearing. It was all in the middle of #metoo after all. Can you imagine the reaction if they'd tried to protect Salmond?

Yes, I am sure that was exactly what was going through his mind.  This wasn't a binary choice he could have just kept out of it completely and let the judicial system handle the entire episode.  At the same time as he was putting the boot in, his wife was issuing statements saying no comment on a criminal case.

"I will not comment on any aspect of the police investigation.

That's not a matter of choice, necessarily – that is the obligations I, like everybody else, are under to respect due process. It would not be appropriate for me to do so.”

This was obviously not a conversation that she had over the dinner table.

12 minutes ago, strichener said:

Yes, I am sure that was exactly what was going through his mind.  This wasn't a binary choice he could have just kept out of it completely and let the judicial system handle the entire episode.  At the same time as he was putting the boot in, his wife was issuing statements saying no comment on a criminal case.

This was obviously not a conversation that she had over the dinner table.

No idea where you got that quote, but it's exactly what she should have said regarding an ex colleague and friend accused of uninvited sexual behaviour. It's not surprising if he privately expressed a wish that the police would get it over and done with if they were going to prosecute, the shambles of the inhouse enquiry would have been dragged out even further if they hadn't.

Guest Bob Mahelp
59 minutes ago, strichener said:

Yes, someone that has went through the processes that Salmond has had to go through is 100% doing it for his ego.  Nothing to do with a belief that he has been unfairly treated.  If Nicola has shit on her shoe then she should probably look a little closer to home for the culprit.

I find that a strange take on things. There were serious accusations levelled against him, and the PF....not the SNP or Peter Murrell or anyone else.....decided that it should be taken to court.

He was found not guilty, which seems very fair to me. At the same time, there's no doubt at all that much of the evidence suggests that he's a fucking creep, and someone hardly deserving of much sympathy when he kicks his ego into high gear looking for revenge.

It would be much better for everybody if he accepted the thanks of the independence movement for all that he's done, and then just quietly retire. 

12 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I find that a strange take on things. There were serious accusations levelled against him, and the PF....not the SNP or Peter Murrell or anyone else.....decided that it should be taken to court.

He was found not guilty, which seems very fair to me. At the same time, there's no doubt at all that much of the evidence suggests that he's a fucking creep, and someone hardly deserving of much sympathy when he kicks his ego into high gear looking for revenge.

It would be much better for everybody if he accepted the thanks of the independence movement for all that he's done, and then just quietly retire. 

Why would someone be looking for revenge unless they thought they had been unfairly treated.  The fact that the enquiry exists and a court found that the process was flawed is evidence enough that there was either incompetence at all levels of the government or that there was a concerted campaign to discredit Salmond.  Given the comments that we have seen attributed to Murrell and Leslie Evans talking about "We may have lost the battle but we will win the war" suggests that it was more than likely the latter.

I am not sure why you think his issues with the way that he was treated is anything to do with the independence movement.  His issues are with the government and the way they have conducted themselves.  He has every right to air his greviences and unless we think the SNP are above questioning then we should welcome scrutiny of actions which have cost £500,000 directly and significantly more than that when taking associated costs into account.  This is what happens with a democracy, SNP supporters should welcome the chance to show that the party and government acted in the best interests of the complainants at heart and the opportunity to show that there was no external influences on the process.

He really needs to move aside. He is in danger of jeopardising the independence march, something that he claimed was not about him.
Thank you for your service Alex, you are a free innocent man, now please do your country a service by enjoying your well earned retirement.

If the SNP, Scottish Government, Sturgeon have done nothing wrong then there should be nothing to hide.  Man is accused, organisaiton(s) invesitgated, man acquitted.  The conduct of the organisations shouldn't be anything other than whiter is white.  I would rather it was thoroughly investigated and any wrongdoing is unveiled if there is any.  All sides deserve justice done.  I'm not in favour of sweeping anything under the carpet, on any side, for "the greater good" of independence.    

The fact an experienced SNP convenor has highighted the Scottish Government and SNP are obstructing an enquiry is a red flag and deserves scrutiny.  

6 minutes ago, tirso said:

If the SNP, Scottish Government, Sturgeon have done nothing wrong then there should be nothing to hide.  Man is accused, organisaiton(s) invesitgated, man acquitted.  The conduct of the organisations shouldn't be anything other than whiter is white.  I would rather it was thoroughly investigated and any wrongdoing is unveiled if there is any.  All sides deserve justice done.  I'm not in favour of sweeping anything under the carpet, on any side, for "the greater good" of independence.    

The fact an experienced SNP convenor has highighted the Scottish Government and SNP are obstructing an enquiry is a red flag and deserves scrutiny.  

There should certainly be a full enquiry but I sympathise with the Government resisting opposition demands to trawl through every private text and Whatsapp account looking for dirt. If I was a civil servant I'd tell them to GTF unless they have specific criminal allegations against me, and then leave it to neutral actors like the Procurator Fiscal's department.

If the SNP, Scottish Government, Sturgeon have done nothing wrong then there should be nothing to hide.  Man is accused, organisaiton(s) invesitgated, man acquitted.  The conduct of the organisations shouldn't be anything other than whiter is white.  I would rather it was thoroughly investigated and any wrongdoing is unveiled if there is any.  All sides deserve justice done.  I'm not in favour of sweeping anything under the carpet, on any side, for "the greater good" of independence.     The fact an experienced SNP convenor has highighted the Scottish Government and SNP are obstructing an enquiry is a red flag and deserves scrutiny.  

Any ordinary person acquitted of rape charges would not have an enquiry into the conduct of the investigation etc - why is it different here? 

A lot of this is political shit-stirring of the worst kind.