Nipper Salmond

RadgerTheBadger

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

When was Boris arrested?

Or have I missed something?

I think the point is that despite boris being a well known racist, xenophobic, islamophobic, sexist sociopath. It doesn't appear to have had any negative impact on his political career at all. The gammons love him.

I think the point is that despite boris being a well known racist, xenophobic, islamophobic, sexist sociopath. It doesn't appear to have had any negative impact on his political career at all. The gammons love him.

He has had a negative impact - he's just managed to fool enough of the people some of the time.

The difference here is we are talking about political scandals that end up in trials - conviction clearly end their career - but even acquittal isn't enough because their own party disowns them because they see them as tainted.

You just have to look back at politicians who have been ostracized by their own parties after being involved, directly or indirectly, in criminal proceedings. There's a whole list of politicians who have been directly or or indirectly involved in political scandals whose star fell - not because of the publicity around the scandal, but because there was a criminal trial involved.

And there seems to be 2 common themes - scandals involving sex and scandals involving money.

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

He has had a negative impact - he's just managed to fool enough of the people some of the time.

The difference here is we are talking about political scandals that end up in trials - conviction clearly end their career - but even acquittal isn't enough because their own party disowns them because they see them as tainted.

You just have to look back at politicians who have been ostracized by their own parties after being involved, directly or indirectly, in criminal proceedings. There's a whole list of politicians who have been directly or or indirectly involved in political scandals whose star fell - not because of the publicity around the scandal, but because there was a criminal trial involved.

And there seems to be 2 common themes - scandals involving sex and scandals involving money.

Indeed. Jeremy Thorpe, for example.

5 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Are there any other kind?

I remember a guy telling me - it was the time of the Lord Lambton "scandal" - that Tory scandals involved sex and Labour ones money. Not 100% accurate but near enough, I think.

I remember a guy telling me - it was the time of the Lord Lambton "scandal" - that Tory scandals involved sex and Labour ones money. Not 100% accurate but near enough, I think.
The Poulson affair which was a corruption/fraud case crossed party lines if I remember rightly.

1 minute ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
35 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

The Poulson affair which was a corruption/fraud case crossed party lines if I remember rightly.

Correct.

16 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

When was Boris arrested?

Or have I missed something?

I was thinking more about the allegations of sexual assault, domestic violence, conspiring to assault a journalist, being sacked for lying twice, racist articles, hiring known anti-semites, etc etc etc.

Have any politicians ever ended up worse off as a result of a criminal investigation? As in, worse off than when they were first elected.

Come to think of it, have any politicians ever ended up worse off than when they were first elected? Here, obviously, not the ones who were executed in foreign countries.

5 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Have any politicians ever ended up worse off as a result of a criminal investigation? As in, worse off than when they were first elected.

Come to think of it, have any politicians ever ended up worse off than when they were first elected? Here, obviously, not the ones who were executed in foreign countries.

John Stonehouse?  John Profumo?

10 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

They always seem to end up retiring to mortgage free mansions worth multiple times their declared earnings, Neil Kinnock a prime example. The headliners anyway. Couldn't compete with Charlie Haughey over the water though, it was reputed that the annual maintenance of his properties cost more than his declared official earnings.

Edited by welshbairn

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

They always seem to end up retiring to mortgage free mansions worth multiple times their declared earnings, Neil Kinnock a prime example. The headliners anyway. Couldn't compete with Charlie Haughey over the water though, it was reputed that the annual maintenance of his properties cost more than his lifetime official earnings.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/the-day-the-house-of-cards-came-tumbling-down-on-cj-haughey-35910135.html

On 27/12/2019 at 17:26, DeeTillEhDeh said:
On 27/12/2019 at 16:51, Jacksgranda said:

I've just finished reading this case which involved Poulson a 'Businessman' and Pottinger a senior Scottish civil servant, according to the prosecution Poulson cascaded Pottinger with gifts, a house, holidays, a car and Savile row suits in order to be awarded government contracts, one of which was the projected Aviemore Centre which eventually was awarded to Bovis, a Colonel Ian Grant a landowner in the Aviemore area testified that Pottinger phoned him and put pressure on him to sell land next to Frasers Aviemore Centre which he refused to do. The trial itself was a long drawn out affair with in the end both men sent down for five years.

Anyway here's the rub, the multi million pound project, ( with a significant amount of public money invested), was never put out to tender, it was simply awarded to Bovis whose Chairman Harry Vincent was also a Director of Fraser's outfit, the decision was Fraser's and Fraser's alone. Nobody at St Andrew's House challenged this, Fraser was the richest man in Scotland at the time, owning a principal newspaper with all the influence that entitled.

The good news is that Fraser's son Hugh blew the money after the old boy died.

Is it any different nowadays?

23 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Was there not some similarly sketchy procurement for the Cairngorm mountain funicular that has just fallen to bits? The guy who ran the company that got the contract was also involved in HIE if memory serves. They're just a rotten bunch up there.

As far as I know the railway is owned by Highlands and Islands Enterprise and the running was leased out, I believe it's closed due to structural problems??

58 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

As far as I know the railway is owned by Highlands and Islands Enterprise and the running was leased out, I believe it's closed due to structural problems??

Heard yesterday that it would cost £13 million to fix, but £15 million to completely remove. Bit of a quandary there, with the Council deficits as they are at the moment it will likely be left to rust.