Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

935 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 16/10/2021 at 20:34, sophia said:

That is patently untrue and unless you are without shame, you should reconsider that particular attack line.

Or perhaps you lack the comprehension skills to understand otherwise?

Aw don't shout at me mammy....! All I said was a man who would rather watch an episode of Coronation Street than a World Cup Semi-Final between Brazil & Germany doesn't have a great deal of interest in football as a sport. What oor wee Tam does love is 'the fitba'. That's indisputable. That the sport of 'football' and the social and tribal construct of 'the fitba' are necessarily the same thing is a matter of dispute.  

2 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

Aw don't shout at me mammy....! All I said was a man who would rather watch an episode of Coronation Street than a World Cup Semi-Final between Brazil & Germany doesn't have a great deal of interest in football as a sport. What oor wee Tam does love is 'the fitba'. That's indisputable. That the sport of 'football' and the social and tribal construct of 'the fitba' are necessarily the same thing is a matter of dispute.  

I would agree with this. I don't have a huge interest in the sport of football. I would watch the Superbowl over the Champions League Final every day of the week but would watch Lochee United v Lochee Harp over both of them.

I do like the world cup but I think its a childhood association with sticker albums and esso coins.

• 2 weeks later...
He's one of those types who even when corrected still thinks hes correct and deliberately keeps pronouncing the name incorrectly.

I listen to the media review podcast Cosgrove does every week and while it’s a good listen, Cosgrove’s incorrect pronunciations of people’s names is infuriating. In the last episode, in the space of an hour, he pronounced the names wrong of Greta Thunberg, Mark Zuckerberg, Cate Blanchett and Kanye West’s current and former names.

I listen to the media review podcast Cosgrove does every week and while it’s a good listen, Cosgrove’s incorrect pronunciations of people’s names is infuriating. In the last episode, in the space of an hour, he pronounced the names wrong of Greta Thunberg, Mark Zuckerberg, Cate Blanchett and Kanye West’s current and former names.
Aye starting to think its deliberate.

23 hours ago, Empty It said:
On 05/11/2021 at 10:45, Highland Capital said:

Aye starting to think its deliberate.

That Stirrit Cisgrave should behave himself 

On 05/11/2021 at 10:45, Highland Capital said:

I listened to a podcast this week which got someone's wife who is Swedish to pronounce Greta's name properly. And I can tell you naebody is doing right. 

1 minute ago, williemillersmoustache said:

I listened to a podcast this week which got someone's wife who is Swedish to pronounce Greta's name properly. And I can tell you naebody is doing right. 

That is true yeah.  Thunberg (pronounced phonetically by Cosgrove) is actually pronounce more like "Toon-Berry".

On 27/10/2021 at 14:28, kennie makevin said:

and you are criticising this? If you wanted a show that focused on "football" more widely then there is a host of podcasts about that and not necessarily ones that take themselves too seriously but at the same time can offer a good insight at the same time. Totally Football for one.

And if you want a serious albeit equally ill-informed discussion through an Old Firm prism on Scottish "football" then there is Sportsound for you. However if you want to listen to a light-hearted (mostly) focusing on "fitba" and looking much more wider than the OF, then Off the Ball fits that bill. A View from the Terrace is better, more relevant and less cringe, but there remains a place for two middle aged/old men talking about fitba.

As for Tam's comments and dismissal of cricket, well, if that caused you some discomfort then I suggest you don't raise that discussion point in the majority of pubs in Scotland. 

1 hour ago, KingRocketman II said:

However if you want to listen to a light-hearted (mostly) focusing on "fitba" and looking much more wider than the OF, then Off the Ball fits that bill.

It really doesn't. Both hosts obvious inability to grasp the most basic of information suggests they care little about the subject and only turn up because they are paid to do so.

Switched it on by mistake today, seemed to consist of Tam reading out texts from some people saying why Edinburgh was good and then reading out another slagging it off - bizarre stuff.

I can only assume this was because they were broadcasting from Edinburgh due to COP 26 and Grant Stott was there - but it all felt even more amateur and irrelevant than ever.

Only lasted about 5 minutes. Tedious and past its sell by date, Telfer and the rest of the Terrace guys are miles better.

8 hours ago, Leith Green said:

Switched it on by mistake today, 

8 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

The person who was giving me a lift today had this on in the car.

^^^

Read a copy of the sun / record / express somebody left on the train / canteen / clinic type posts 

On 25/10/2021 at 18:17, rossd98 said:

I had Tam Cowan on my podcast this week if anyone fancies giving it a listen. Discusses all things football, Off The Ball and has some brilliant stories from Offside. Hope everyone enjoys, any feedback appreciated 👍🏻⚽

Youtube: 

Apple: https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/a-chat-with-tam-cowan/id1570371231?i=1000539611120

Spotify: 

Cheers

Ross

i wish i had known about this before hand, i would've got you to ask him a question that's bugged me for the whole time i've listened to the show. that question would've been....

no interested in English football  {ever other week he say something alone those lines, that its actually becoming an ''off the ball trope''} yet he stood no more that 20ft away from me on platform 14 of Manchester Piccadilly with Johnathon Watson and i think it was Phil Differ, the morning after United won 4-3 against Real Madrid in 2003 in the CL Quarter final 2nd leg