Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

935 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Thought the Soutar boy was good on Saturday.

Tam telling the story about playing Hearts after O'Donnells death, 2 weeks in a row...ffs Tam.

I'm thinking they will both bow out after 30 years.   

We will then be left with Jane Lewis and than Partick Thistle guy (can't remember his name).

5 hours ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Who even is Tomy RIng? Does anyone under the age of 60 know who they are talking about?  

At the risk of extending another otb trope, I would ask you if you are familiar with Adolf Hitler?

6 hours ago, Ray Patterson said:

The fact Tam Cowan's instagram hasn't gotten him cancelled yet is beyond belief.

I think people have to actually view his  instagram for that to happen.

1 hour ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

What is controversial about his Instagram content? I don't do Facebook or Instagram and wattsaap is a necessary evil at the minute.  

Just recently he posted a Twitter relating to the Nigerian football team where he tried to make a link between them and the old "Nigerian Prince" scams, which would be fine for "yer da" types because they just assume all black men must be the same and all of them are untrustworthy. It's just plain and simple casual racism, and sadly something that many (especially online) do not recognise as such, but I am sure Cowan will defend it as "ye cannae say nuttin' anymore, it's pc gone mad!" and "it's all just a joke, man, liven up".

I am on an embargo here, because if I write what I want to write, and I am able to back up my claims using their own content that was broadcast nationally, the mods will remove the post. Why? You'll have to ask them.

19 hours ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Who even is Tomy RIng? Does anyone under the age of 60 know who they are talking about?  

I actually don't mind the Tommy Ring stuff because his obscurity is kind of part of the joke (I think).  A little ongoing inside joke in a long-running show is okay by me.  Maybe I'm an Off the Ball da though....   

1 hour ago, Ric said:

I am on an embargo here, because if I write what I want to write, and I am able to back up my claims using their own content that was broadcast nationally, the mods will remove the post. Why? You'll have to ask them.

Reading between the lines I'm assuming that you think that he/they is/are/were racist in some way.  I'm not sure that's the case, and Cosgrove is more often than not painfully right-on. I assume that the alligation would enrage them, SC especially.

I must enjoy the pair of them as i very rarely miss any of their Saturday shows, and if I do I listen on the iplayer. Yes, they annoy me sometimes but they are firmly inside my ooda-loop and have been for decades. Ultimately if I don't like a guest of either of them says anything that grips me, I'll turn it off. Same as any media I elect to consume. In fact, due to some of the music and features on their Sunday show i usually don't listen to it live so I can use the skip forward 20 seconds function on the iplayer.  The point is I *still* listen to their show. The instant-replay jingle is pure Alan Partridge so I skip that feature. But I listen to most of the rest of the show, mostly with the exception of the music as it's usually not to my taste.

The guest presenters are fine for a week or two, Ray Bradshaw seems to be flavour of the week recently. He's often quite funny but is like a pupy jumping from one thing to another, if he calmed down a bit he would probably be a better fit for the format. But he's fine for a bit, as are most of the other guest presenters. There must be some form of succession planning going on. I don't know what the next thing will be but they won't go on forever and they will be incredibly difficult to replace for the BBC.

Times they are a-changing with Richard Gordon taking a lstep back from Sportsound on a Saturday. Time will tell if we'll be fondly reminiscing about tales about mobility scooters in Las Vegas and Northern Soul clubs or whatever.

Yes they are pale, stale and male but they accurately represent the audience and in my house that's me. 

1 hour ago, Ric said:

Just recently he posted a Twitter relating to the Nigerian football team where he tried to make a link between them and the old "Nigerian Prince" scams, which would be fine for "yer da" types because they just assume all black men must be the same and all of them are untrustworthy. It's just plain and simple casual racism, and sadly something that many (especially online) do not recognise as such, but I am sure Cowan will defend it as "ye cannae say nuttin' anymore, it's pc gone mad!" and "it's all just a joke, man, liven up".

Remember when he was suspended for his misogynistic article about women’s football in the paper a few years back?

So yeah it doesn’t surprise me a guy who still lives in the 1970’s has sort of attitude towards black people

Edit: Here is the article

THE Daily Record's own Gene Hunt, Mr TAM COWAN, gives his take from the dark ages - or the 1970s at least - on the Scotland women's match at Fir Park this week.

Admittedly, I’ve not seen a lot of women’s football - just a few little snatches - and I’m not having a pop at the people taking part.

Just the other week, I bumped into a couple of women footballers (I’ve still got the bruises to prove it) and they were honestly two of the nicest blokes I’ve ever met.

But no amount of politically correct claptrap could force me to say I enjoyed a single second of that guff at Fir Park on Thursday night.

Face it, folks, nobody cares about women’s football. There was barely a thousand inside the ground, shocking for an international in ANY sport, and I guess putting the girlies head-to-head with Emmerdale and Eastenders was a bit daft.

Edited by Clown Job

3 hours ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

Reading between the lines I'm assuming that you think that he/they is/are/were racist in some way.

You use the words "you think" which suggests you think this is a matter of opinion. It's not. It's racist by definition, the evidence is very clear.

That article is horrible, sneering, sexist shite. A disgusting attitude right out of the 1970s, complete with reference to 'political correctness'.

There's nothing wrong with not liking women's football (I don't care for it and never watch it), but the belittling of it and, worse, women, is just nasty, bitter nonsense that isn't needed.

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

"He's just telling it 'like it is', us snowflakes can't handle the truth, we are triggered by our wokeness yet it's all just a conspiracy by the liberal elites to do away with gender and have everyone drinking soy milk"

Looks like someone has just been freshly cucked.

2 minutes ago, Steve_Wilkos said:

Looks like someone has just been freshly cucked.

I have no information on Cowan's personal relations, and I have no intention of discovering if he has been "cucked".

That is at odds to Cowan himself, mind, who is not shy at casting aspersions using his nationally broadcast weekly radio show.

On 23/04/2022 at 12:56, resk said:

Tam banging on about Engelbert Humperdinck, and threatening to actually play his song on the show.  Ooft.  

Probably still preferable to " Get it tae **** " with ..

It is still the case when you think they might have to play something acceptable , they play garbage.

It is to be noted that .. seems excited about the game tonight !?

Big team found ?!

Edited by Ewan8472