Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

914 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, Afc69 said:

Last weekend?

What I meant was, as of 3 weeks or so ago, Christian is no longer a *better vocalist than Jagger as he is, well, no longer.

*May have been a spurious claim even when alive. 

• 3 weeks later...

The two of them bickering like f@ck already. Seems to be happening more regularly now; talking over each other etc 

Right, how long before Tam mentions scud books? Davie Cooper? Bobby Russell? 1991?

1 hour ago, Big Gus said:

These "off season" episodes are generally terrible. They will be raging that Compston and Co got the "late night euros" gig. 

Compston? Martin?

Has he? Bloody hell, and it’s still to be called Off The Ball?

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Afc69 said:

Compston? Martin?

Has he? Bloody hell, and it’s still to be called Off The Ball?

No, it's called "Late night at the Euros with Martin Compston" most likely because he's a much larger draw than if they called the show anything to do with them

Edited by Big Gus

4 minutes ago, Elframo said:

Stuart getting noticeably angered with Tam's constant interruptions today...

Better than listening to Mr C continuing put downs of everything he doesn't like...

Tam is Tam

I’ve been largely ambivalent to OTB for the last 20 years. Engaging enough for me to have it on as background while I’m doing whatever it is I’m doing on a Saturday lunchtime. And I keep going back - there’s enough nuggets for a giggle that I’ll tune in. I have however posted before about how it rips my knitting when they start talking over each other. 

Today though I think the camels back was broken. Get that c**t Cowan to f**k. The show would be so much better if the guests were given a chance to speak, not be driven by his self absorbed narrative. 

For Cosgrove to have to literally shout at him ‘SHUT. UP. !!!’ shows just how distanced he (Cowan) has gone from being a professional broadcaster. 

Best just pension him off to the after dinner circuit round Lanarkshire. 

GTF Tam. You won’t be missed. 

Edited by alta-pete

Cowan used to be great..

Unsure when and why he became so bitter. His stuff is increasingly unfunny and stuck in the past.

His shtick seems to be that you can't say anything these days, when in reality the bigoted, sexist, homophobic and other unpleasant shite that his heroes spewed out is, rightly, not acceptable now. It never was but some scum gave it a free pass for too long.

The odd thing is that his best stuff never was the garbage punching down scumbag cowardly bullshit of his pool and bingo hall and coal miner clubs heroes. He usually had a decent line in amusing enough jokes, yet he seems to have raged against a machine that was never real.

For some reason he now always greets about how "you can't say that these days!", either making up imaginary nonsense that has never been censored or railing against the moronic scum shite his heroes spewed out, despite not peddling it himself on Off The Ball over the years.

He seems to have somehow somewhat radicalised himself for no reason.

Edited by DA Baracus

Anent the Scooby Doo protests

We bought a colour TV in 1975 when ah were nowt but a little lad and the first thing I can remember watching on TV was Scooby Doo. 

Spoiler

scooby.jpg.3ed65bd453a9b8bdb5c10dc987df5c67.jpg

nicked from another P&Ber... 

21 hours ago, Elframo said:

Stuart getting noticeably angered with Tam's constant interruptions today...

Or to put it at another way , Cosgrove getting a taste of his own medicine.

Cowan is far more patient with Cosgrove when he interrupts with some desperately unfunny , smartarse comment that even Cosgrove himself isn’t that bothered about.

Guys: it's Funicular, not Finucular. As the intellectual of the two, Stuart speaks with authority even when he's wrong and it's never checked.
Tam: there's a difference between 'implied' and 'inferred'.

Still fills a handy slot in the day though.

1 hour ago, The Mantis said:

Guys: it's Funicular, not Finucular. As the intellectual of the two, Stuart speaks with authority even when he's wrong and it's never checked.

Jamme, jamme 'ncoppa, jamme jà,
Jamme, jamme 'ncoppa, jamme jà,
funiculì, funiculà, funiculì, funiculà,
'ncoppa, jamme jà, funiculì, funiculà!

On 16/06/2024 at 16:26, The Mantis said:

Yeah, it's always irritating when Tam will call on Stuart to verify something deemed as intellectual and he invariably won't have a clue and just waffle some pish.

Edited by Elframo