Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

915 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

. As much as anything else, there's been a change in him over the last decade or so. I don't mean I ever fancied being mates with him, but he has become much less likeable in the last decade or so. He often just comes across as pretty horrible. 

I broadly agree on this. I think it's as simple as getting more (small c) conservative with age, and society moving on from making jokes that are sexist/racist. 

I'm 100% sure that Tam, like many of his generation is a nice person, and would be horrified to think that their words had a negative impact on others. 

I, personally, like the pair, and don't really believe in excommunication of someone by social media. I think it's much more powerful that someone learns from their mistakes and is given the opportunity to demonstrate it.

I think that it would be great if Tam kept his offer to Bartley open to come on OTB, except obviously the apology would be the other way round.... Tagging and posting on social media will only make things worse 

22 minutes ago, Stylish Kid said:

I think that it would be great if Tam kept his offer to Bartley open to come on OTB, except obviously the apology would be the other way round.... Tagging and posting on social media will only make things worse

If I was Bartley I wouldn't go within a mile of OTB while Cowan is still on it.

Edited by welshbairn

Cowan really is the ultimate thin skinned hypocrite. I was pretty surprised the day he called Bartley out. Throughout the program he repeatedly called for Bartley to phone in and give a public apology. He was obsessed with it. Now when proven wrong he doesn't give an apology to the man he was calling out. And he thinks anything is fair game for his jokes. But anyone jesting at him for being fat and speccy with no musical taste and he is away in huff crying in the corner. Hope Bartley continues to demand a personal apology live on air. The least he deserves.

PS I reckon Saturday's edition of OTB will have the largest audience it has had in ages.

Edited by NorthBank

BBC's Tam Cowan apologises after Marvin Bartley bullying row.

Adding 'Rather than be sacked', at the start of that statement would have been more accurate, imo. 

You have to wonder why he was so quick to jump on it in the first place.

Cosgrove doesn't come over massively well in this episode either, but not as badly as Cowan, obviously.

This is maybe a sign that OTB has had its day, or at least that TC and SC have.

Anyway, to paraphrase Cosgrove, none of my business, guv! 

I've been taking a hiatus from football as I find the whole World Cup thing disgraceful, but I'll break that to point out I have said this all along, that Tam Cowan is a "yer da" type completely ignorant of modern culture and takes a contrarian attitude just to "stick it to the libs".  He has regularly commented how it's all "PC gone mad" and that 70's comedians who peddled hateful racist bullshit should be considered OK because "it was the norm at the time" and that we should all just accept that. He is a man not just out of time, but one who seems to take great pride in it. "Petty and ill-informed" is no longer a badge of honour, it's not some youthful irreverence, it's now the standard of right wing conspiracy believers and red-pilled, based, lunatics. It reflects Cowan perfectly.

To paraphrase Mark Twain, the reports of his possible journalist death are likely exaggerated, but when the axe finally comes it will not only be a second too soon, but will be celebrated by many, especially though who strive for a world without knee-jerk buffoons who use things like bigotry to score points.

The last time I posted such a comment, it was removed from the website. I wonder if Cowan is in a position where he now simply can't be defended by having such comments deleted. As for Cowan's apology, he's effectively apologised for being found out, it's a "I am sorry if you were offended by my comments" not a "I am sorry for my comments".

Edited by Ric

9 minutes ago, Slim Charles. said:

Cowan has always struck me as the type of guy who watches Mrs Brown's Boys and has Malky McKay type jokes on his phone. 

You have my permission to stick this post on your Instagram Tam.

I guarantee he's been enjoying the re-runs of the Bernard Cribbins show - he'll probably mention it on OTB if he hasn't already. 

Edited by paranoid android

57 minutes ago, Stylish Kid said:

I think it's much more powerful that someone learns from their mistakes and is given the opportunity to demonstrate it.

An excellent point.

However, the fact we are having the discussion suggests he hasn’t learned from the two previous incidents. How many “mistakes” is he required to learn from?

1 minute ago, Mark Connolly said:

An excellent point.

However, the fact we are having the discussion suggests he hasn’t learned from the two previous incidents. How many “mistakes” is he required to learn from?

Aye, Cowan seems to have a wee grudge book and brings it out when he has an opportunity to have a go at someone.

21 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

I’m guessing the reason he hasn’t apologised to Marvin is because that would be an admission of guilt 

The wee magic trick has worked wonders there. Headlines saying he’s sorry, but without an admission of guilt in the actual statement. 

1 hour ago, paranoid android said:

BBC's Tam Cowan apologises after Marvin Bartley bullying row.

Adding 'Rather than be sacked', at the start of that statement would have been more accurate, imo. 

You have to wonder why he was so quick to jump on it in the first place.

Cosgrove doesn't come over massively well in this episode either, but not as badly as Cowan, obviously.

This is maybe a sign that OTB has had its day, or at least that TC and SC have.

Anyway, to paraphrase Cosgrove, none of my business, guv! 

where is Bartleys apology to the dundee utd fans he was quick to accuse of racially abusing a hibs player?

Edited by Zoomer Brown

The thin skinned loser screenshotting P&B for his insta story is fucking tragic.

There's no doubt he went after Bartley after the Barbour incident.

His constituency is old white cretins who enjoy sportsman's dinners so I can see why he feels the need to court this sort of thing.

He can f**k off speaking for United fans too.

I don't think that weak, vague, mealy-mouthed apology is going to be enough to save him.  He called out Bartley by name, persistently, on air - and demanded an apology for supposedly lying about racism.  He can't possibly think that saying he's sorry "for the upset" caused will be enough... can he?

Tam was allegedly raging about his pal being exposed as a racist and misogynist by Eilidh Barbour at the awards dinner, so it's very hard not to see all this as a personal vandetta being pursued against the two of them as a couple - by someone who also happens to have a history of misogynistic comments himself. 

Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out of Pacific Quay, Tam.

Edited by VictorOnopko

You have to wonder when the BBC will decide its time to simple shuffle this absolute dinosaur off the stage. What will it take.... 

BLM/the knee/rainbow laces etc in recent times have become like flames to horrible, bigoted moths in terms of outing themselves by steaming in with half the information and absolutely butchering whatever point they thought they were making. That's what we have here. The key indicator you need to look at is the enthusiasm with which Coward (cheers Pogen) went after Bartley. 

There was no need for that... All things weren't equal, and that's why for me, I think it's time for him to go.