Betfred Semi-Finals

glasgow-sheep

2 minutes ago, thisal said:

Is it normal to have a ballot for SF venues? By that I mean has that ever happened before?

No, it hasn't. The Scottish Cup semi-finals are always at Hampden regardless of who is involved, and League Cup venues are always selected (with Hampden always being selected if Rangers or Celtic are playing).

The only time I'm aware of that there has been a ballot for venues was when Hampden was being renovated and the Old Firm were drawn together. They had a coin flip to decide whether it was at Celtic Park or Ibrox. That happened twice - first for the 1993/94 League Cup semi and then for the 1997/98 Scottish Cup semi.

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, sjc said:

Whilst I agree that the SPFL finally came to the right decision in terms of which game to switch to Murrayfield and the KO time for logistical reasons, I can understand Celtic being a bit peeved by the nonsensical process taken in achieving the decision.

Don't agree with the thinking that this is effectively a home game for Hearts given that Celtic have also used the stadium for home games in recent years. They also ignore the fact that Celtic used Hampden for an entire season AND played the Cup Final that season there against Airdrie.

So 24 years old celtic used hanpden for their home games with the tarts using murrayfield last season for home games makes this an equal debate?

Just now, wastecoatwilly said:

So 24 years old celtic used hanpden for their home games with the tarts using murrayfield last season for home games makes this an equal debate?

Celtic used Murrayfield for home games in 2014.

HTH. :)

17 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

No, it hasn't. The Scottish Cup semi-finals are always at Hampden regardless of who is involved, and League Cup venues are always selected (with Hampden always being selected if Rangers or Celtic are playing).

The only time I'm aware of that there has been a ballot for venues was when Hampden was being renovated and the Old Firm were drawn together. They had a coin flip to decide whether it was at Celtic Park or Ibrox. That happened twice - first for the 1993/94 League Cup semi and then for the 1997/98 Scottish Cup semi.

Out of interest, was there a 50/50 allocation split for both of those games? Also, was there any event where it was Rangers v Celtic at Parkhead or Celtic v Rangers at Ibrox and thus they'd be in opposite dressing rooms to normal?

Just now, wastecoatwilly said:

So just the 4 years of a difference?

Aye. There's a perfectly logical reason why Celtic/Hearts would be in Edinburgh. Having three of the four fanbases travelling to a different city, Rangers and Aberdeen arriving at Haymarket station just as the Hearts fans were leaving would be an absolute logistical nightmare. Makes much more sense to keep Rangers and Hearts fans in their own city and just have Aberdeen travel to Glasgow and Celtic to Edinburgh. Only issue now is Celtic fans getting back to Glasgow at the same time as Aberdeen are arriving.

Just now, Bully Wee Villa said:

The vast majority of Aberdeen fans will be in and around Hampden Park by the time Celtic fans start arriving back at Queen Street. 

The local plods will be PRAYING for extra time at Murrayfield otherwise there's a risk of it going off.

Only issue now is Celtic fans getting back to Glasgow at the same time as Aberdeen are arriving.

No chance. Celtic v hearts is finishing around 3.30. 15-20 minute walk to haymarket. Trains not arriving until after Aberdeen v rangers kicks off. Even those travelling by car and bus won't encounter each other. Most dons fans will be in Glasgow early to try and find a pub to get a pint rather than arriving half an hour before kick off.

41 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Out of interest, was there a 50/50 allocation split for both of those games? Also, was there any event where it was Rangers v Celtic at Parkhead or Celtic v Rangers at Ibrox and thus they'd be in opposite dressing rooms to normal?

As far as I know, there was a 50/50 split for both. In terms of dressing rooms etc, I have no idea.

If Hearts were guddling about in mid table and Celtic had got off to a flying start to the season then I suspect Celtic would have few complaints

This "irrational and discriminatory" rhetoric is smoke and mirrors to try and keep the natives from becoming too restless.

Wastecoat willy has seemingly swallowed it whole

If the SPFL had accompanied yesterday’s announcement with an explanation that the decision was arrived at so as to have as few groups of fans travelling as possible would that have been enough for Celtic?

1 hour ago, wastecoatwilly said:

How many games did Hearts use Murrayfield for last season? As pointed out by other Posters, more Celtic players have experience of a "home" game at Murrayfield than Hearts players, regardless of it being last year or 4 years ago.

The 94/95 season was brought up to raise the fact that your Club chose to conveniently ignore the issue of "fairness" when they effectively played the Scottish Cup Final at home.

If you bothered to read all of my OP, you'd have noticed that I conceded that Celtic have a right to be annoyed with the shambolic process used by the SPFL to come to this decision but it is correct fixture to switch to Murrayfield logistically. Moving Rangers v Aberdeen there would have been a far bigger operation to Police than Celtic v Hearts.

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

Aye. There's a perfectly logical reason why Celtic/Hearts would be in Edinburgh. Having three of the four fanbases travelling to a different city, Rangers and Aberdeen arriving at Haymarket station just as the Hearts fans were leaving would be an absolute logistical nightmare. Makes much more sense to keep Rangers and Hearts fans in their own city and just have Aberdeen travel to Glasgow and Celtic to Edinburgh. Only issue now is Celtic fans getting back to Glasgow at the same time as Aberdeen are arriving.

I agree with all of that,but the point about the tarts having a advantage at murrayfield still stands,all Celtic were asking for was a ballot,the mighty well played at hampden the same amount of times as Celtic did last season would you make the same point if the might well had been in the semi final?
Celtic and motherwell have only played at hampden because they where successful,the tarts played at murrayfield because it was necessary there is a difference. 

1 minute ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I agree with all of that,but the point about the tarts having a advantage at murrayfield still stands,all Celtic were asking for was a ballot,the mighty well played at hampden the same amount of times as Celtic did last season would you make the same point if the might well had been in the semi final?
Celtic and motherwell have only played at hampden because they where successful,the tarts played at murrayfield because it was necessary there is a difference. 

There's literally a "Celtic end" at Hampden. Teams from further east have to go round the ground and the Celtic support to get to the other end, because Hampden is a second home for Celtic.

But aye, playing this game at a venue Celtic have played at as much as Hearts have is pure dead unfair.

It's true what they say - when you're used to privilege, equality feels like oppression.

3 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Given how much resistance there’s been from the powers that be towards using Murrayfield as a one off under exceptional circumstances where it clearly makes sense it seems safe to discard the idea that leaving Hampden on a permanent basis was ever under serious consideration.

On the plus side this debacle has made people take an interest in the League Cup for once

Entirely different organisation.

But I agree with your last point - I'm much more likely to watch these games now, especially the Murrayfield one.

Archived