St Johnstone v Celtic, 7th October

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

What have saints done to you Spud to make you so, so bitter?

Suspect he was hoping that today would have replaced Dundee 0-7 Aberdeen (Considine hat-trick) as the biggest home humping during the "Premiership" era.

Worth noting that virtually every season Celtic score at least four at McDiarmid, Dundee fans getting excited is a bit cute though. 

Yet another game where you look at the line up with absolutely no idea what TW thinks. Wotherspoon as the holding midfielder is a stupid fucking experiment that failed last season, yet he's still attempting it. Honestly, at this stage it feels like it's purely to get Wotherspoon in the line up, as there's no reason you'd play him instead of Craig there.

Tanser far too timid, again, and Shaughnessy hopefully, finally, dropped for that horror show. He's the captain, defensive rock, and he loses every physical battle, never puts his body on the line, and barely says a word. Difference with Anderson there was frightening.

We move on, the manager and players have a run of games that gives them the chance to repay the fans who've suffered over the past months yet still sat through that today.

Wrong personnel and wrong set up. Posted that we’d be ultra defensive before I’d seen the line up but it looks a lot like TW has tried to placate the people complaining about not attacking Celtic last time out by trying to do just that and leaving ourselves utterly exposed. Wotherspoon was scandalously bad. Tanser has a bad game but was utterly thrown under a bus by having an all out attacking player ahead of him. If Easton is finished (which has to be the fear given how long it’s been) we need someone else brought in in January.

Why wasn’t Craig on the park from the start? Midfield lacking any dig or leadership and we just stood off them throughout.

Seriously hope the Foster sub was an injury. Anderson was being prepared before the fourth goal went in but losing Foster is a disaster for us because the options behind him are pish.

I can understand why Swanson wanted to take out his man but in the long run it’s a fucking nightmare. He’ll now be suspended for two games where we could actually do with his #baller skills.

The only positive from that game was watching those idiots scrapping in the Celtic end and the subsequent arrests and stretchering out of a KOd fan. Bunch of absolute mutants. Someone’s going to have to explain how it’s acceptable to have thousands of fans openly singing songs in support of a proscribed terrorist organisation. Celtic fans can’t pretend that was a minority giving it the “ooh ah up the ra” stuff today.

Anyway, total pish today and we seriously need to sort ourselves out ahead of the next three games.

35 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Wrong personnel and wrong set up. Posted that we’d be ultra defensive before I’d seen the line up but it looks a lot like TW has tried to placate the people complaining about not attacking Celtic last time out by trying to do just that and leaving ourselves utterly exposed. 

This is something I've been worried about for a while with TW, he seems to be caring about what his critics say.

His signings this Summer, while exciting, have left us a bit gutless. Leaders have never been replaced. Signing inconsistent wingers to complement he inconsistent midfielders you've already got will always cause you problems at points.

I worry he's been so determined to try and change the public perception of his teams, something he maybe blames for not getting his "big move"?, that he's forgotten what got him to this point. 

We're at the point where Steven Anderson and Liam Craig have to start every week, as without them there's nobody willing to lead. A midfield duo of Alston and Wotherspoon is laughably pea hearted, and won't ever control a midfield, Callachan is still unknown but looks like a more mobile Paul Paton so far.

Celtic were excellent but that was gutless, rudderless pish from us. That midfield is stuff of nightmares and needs addressed in January. Wright keeps banging on about being brave on the ball but passing the ball without any real purpose cost us the first and third goals and effectively ended any chance we had in the match. Indeed, Wotherspoon lost the ball on numerous occasions because he was waiting on players moving into space to play it out and was dispossessed because the others were either hiding or not making an angle for a pass. Wotherspoon has completely lost the support now - I can see this season being a long, sad goodbye for him at Saints which is a shame because he deserves better than that. 

We lined up with 5 attacking midfielders today yet McMillan was still pretty isolated whenever we did get up the pitch. A real Frankenstein’s monster performance on the pitch and tactically by the manager. 

Tanser was awful today. Forrest gave him an absolute roasting, although he wasn’t really helped by the lack of defensively minded midfielders. 

The lack of leadership and fight is really concerning. We have plenty of attacking threat on paper but that midfield won’t Contribute much in terms of bringing those players into the game, nor does it recycle the ball well enough to give the defenders an outball to be confident in. We really miss Chris millar and I’m completely lost as to why he has been replaced by an 18 year old who the manager doesn’t seem to trust and an attacking midfielder who plays like a slightly more attack minded Paul Paton. 

3 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Wotherspoon has completely lost the support now - I can see this season being a long, sad goodbye for him at Saints which is a shame because he deserves better than that. 

Id lay the blame for that at the managers door. Wotherspoon would play in any position for Saints, and do anything you ask of him. He's been put in a position he not capable of playing, and is being made to look terrible because of that.

Folk beside me probably think i was raging at Spoony today, I try not too, its the whole situation with him that has me seething. He should be competing with Wright for a spot on the wing, not pretending he's Chris Millar.

Archived