Alloa Athletic Vs Gary Caldwell's Partick Thistle

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doolan and Erskine have been pish for ages now, but get off more lightly than others. This is probably fair enough as a result of their length of service and historical performances for the club, but doesn't make them any less culpable for the absolute shambles that we are on the pitch right now.

13 minutes ago, BdenJag said:

Would it be controversial to add Doolan?

No it wouldn't, he hasn't kicked a ball all season but the way we are set up means the lone  striker role must be a nightmare. Caldwell needs to throw caution to the wind and bench some of the regulars who just are not doing it and accommodate Coulibaly, Quitongo, Mutumbo, Fitpatrick and McCarthy. Must admit that I was shocked when I saw the team today. The starting 11 needs a proper shake up. His priority in January must be to use his contacts to bring at least 2 defenders in. 

12 minutes ago, Midlife Crisis said:

Totally agree it was the board that bottled it. But do you not think that they were influenced by some fans waving Archie banners and still chanting his name?

No. Think it's clear that they didn't want to sack Archie as they obviously liked the bloke. Always had it in my mind that they wanted Archie to be in charge when the new training ground opened, but the awful start to the season gave them no option but to fire him. 

Can't make this one but think it will be a hard game for thistle . watched Alloa last week at Dunfermline and they never give up . score draw for me 1-1

Thought that was you on the tannoy could tell with level coldplay was being played at. Could hear it in Morrisons car park.

Was playing football myself about lunchtime (quite badly, appropriately enough) so little to no chance of coming through - kept an eye on the text commentary updates while I was all warm and comfy, it sounded like Coulibaly had a fair few shots and headers when he came on which in theory is promising.

Another goal conceded from a set piece too it sounds like.

Caldwell probably counting the seconds til January. Probably before even then if he can wrangle  a couple of free transfer's or short-term loanees out of the board.

12 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Was playing football myself about lunchtime (quite badly, appropriately enough) so little to no chance of coming through - kept an eye on the text commentary updates while I was all warm and comfy, it sounded like Coulibaly had a fair few shots and headers when he came on which in theory is promising.

Another goal conceded from a set piece too it sounds like.

Caldwell probably counting the seconds til January. Probably before even then if he can wrangle  a couple of free transfer's or short-term loanees out of the board.

I'm going to tell you he was the only decent player in your team. The only one who offered something different. The rest of your lot could have played for 180 minutes and not scored.

Great win, happy for Jim and all the boys but we could have easily put the game to bed and probably should have through Cawley or Zanatta.

To be fair Bannigan was decent for Thistle...thought we coped well otherwise. Terrific spirit as always, defence solid and we're starting to take chances at key stages now which is extremely encouraging. Cawley had a terrific chance right after opener. Under the cosh in late stages as expected but I thought we saw it out well without too many concerns.

I'm getting fed of people making excuses for Doolan. Hes still got a reasonable touch and will score here and there, but you can't be allowed to say hes having a bad game. He needs dropped and honestly needs to go when his contract is up. Absolutely no movement up front at all. Coulibaly looked well off the pace at points but had drive to win the loose balls and was a threat to shoot from distance, so going forward we shouldn't be relying on Doolan still. The chopping and changing of Doolan/Storey starting up front has gotten us nowhere.

Storey, Elliott, just f**k off back to Geordie Shore or TOWIE or where ever that will accept the pair of you. Slater is a Simon Donnelly impersonator, really tidy on the ball, but when we can't cut teams open, it doesn't help when he takes a million touches before making a sideways pass.

Bell's kick outs are increasingly becoming a disaster and anytime theres a low cross put into our box we're at sea.

I would never have put Caldwell in there today. A game against a team of winless part-timers is a no win situation and results like that stick like mud. He needs to have the guts to ship out at least 5 or 6 players in January by any means neccessary and bring as many in or theres a chance we go down again.. We played the exact same way as we did under Archie today, sideways and backwards passes before the eventual launching of the ball to no one when we've decided we can't break down the opposition.

10 minutes ago, Les Westander of County said:

BBC stats are quite striking - you'd have thought Thistle totally dominated.

i  think the bbc man was counting passes into the box because it  looked strange to me , parry made a couple of reasonable saves  but it was more comfortable than this suggests.

Ntambwe was excellent, Bannigan was decent. Coulibaly looks as if he’ll be decent once he gets up to speed. Apart from that, Thistle were abysmal. Elliott and Storey can get so far to f**k. Doolan has been miles off it this season, and is needing dropped.

Could say what Caldwell was trying to do first half, but the players don’t have anywhere near the ability to adapt shape when we’re on and off the ball. Alloa didn’t look very good today, but were defensively organised and we could still be playing now and not have scored. Business as usual.

Great to get that first win; really pleased for big Jim and the players. Also delighted for Zanatta getting his first league goal for the club.

Once again, couldn't fault the attitude and effort from the team. No failures.

Archived