Calling Cards of Morons

On 13/06/2020 at 17:50, Shotgun said:

Thing is, if you did give up drinking, you’d be able to mention it in conversation or ask online if anyone could recommend non-alcoholic drink recipes without getting a ton of crap about how non-drinkers “never shut up about it.”

You wouldn’t get people trying to catch you out in any inconsistency. “Ahh, but you use rubbing alcohol to clean things, don’t you?”

You’d be able to join your workmates in the pub for happy hour without someone announcing “Gerald has turned teetotal!” and then having to sit there for the next hour while everyone talks shit about you.

You wouldn’t have anyone waving glasses of whisky under your nose saying “Oooh, this is lovely. Wouldn’t you like some? Go on, just have a sip. You know you want to.”

And you wouldn’t have business clients taking you to bars where no soft drinks were on the menu, so you’d have to ask the barman specifically to leave the alcohol out of your glass and then have them ridicule you for being difficult.

Or if you were at a family member's house and they offered you a beer, you’d be able to politely decline it without them acting like you’d taken a dump on the carpet.

Nor would you have to deal with them sneaking alcohol into your soft drink without your knowledge and then roaring with laughter after you’d drunk it.

Because if people reacted that way to someone who chose not to drink alcohol, they’d rightly be considered dicks.

I went about 3 months without drinking a few years ago to lose weight and help my mental health, I can confirm I encountered a fair bit of what you just listed above.

6 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

I went about 3 months without drinking a few years ago to lose weight and help my mental health, I can confirm I encountered a fair bit of what you just listed above.

Sorry you had to go through that. I've given up drinking several times, from weeks to months, for the same reasons as you. I've never received any of the hostility I got in the 3 years I didn't eat meat. People I had thought were my friends got truly angry about it.

2 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Sorry you had to go through that. I've given up drinking several times, from weeks to months, for the same reasons as you. I've never received any of the hostility I got in the 3 years I didn't eat meat. People I had thought were my friends got truly angry about it.

To be fair no one got truly angry about it but I couldn't go to a social event without it being brought up and attempting to be talked out of it. Not to mention taking plenty of abuse when I'd leave at midnight when everyone else was smashed and could barely hold a conversation.

I was out with workmates and they bought expensive champagne, poured me a glass and said 'you're surely not going to turn that down, are you?'. I did.

I don't particularly hold it against them but it was definitely an eye opener. I felt like I was causing a scene by not drinking. I'd have happily stayed at home but didn't want to seem like I was withdrawing just because I wasn't drinking. Not once did I ever want it to be a big deal.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to challenge your post in anyway, there is really no reason to be upset about someone not eating meat.

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

Anyway, I wasn't trying to challenge your post in anyway.

Oh it's cool, I didn't take it that way. I suppose it just highlights how so many people feel threatened by anyone who doesn't follow the "norm". Sociologists probably have a term for it.

On 14/06/2020 at 06:41, throbber said:

Yeah that was brilliant as you thought he was going to f**k his line up which he kept practicing over and over. One sketch he went to a pirate audition dressed as a pirate.

Also Karen Dunbar had that character who worked in shop and talked about being stuck in their day after day after day as she brain fried every customer who went in there. She was quite like how Isa in Still Game just more edgy and rather tragic. Karen Dunbar did her own sketch show that got aced pretty quickly and had some genuinely disturbing moments in it. I still always wondered why she never appeared in still game though. 

I believe Hemphill and Kiernan both wanted her to be in Still Game but she was writing her own show at that point and turned it down. She was in the final Still Game: Live show though.

1 hour ago, Shotgun said:

Oh it's cool, I didn't take it that way. I suppose it just highlights how so many people feel threatened by anyone who doesn't follow the "norm". Sociologists probably have a term for it.

I can't remember if it was on here or somewhere else that I saw someone say part of the reason why people get a bit pent up about vegans or non-drinkers is that it feels like a tacit rebuke of them for drinking and eating meat. Like they're making a judgment of them just by being there and not taking part. Seems like it makes sense as a justification.

I’ve encountered all except 2, ive never been out for drinks with business clients and probably never will . And no one dared put booze into my soft drink cause i was a violent aggressive drunk when i did drink so everyone kent fine I’d leather f**k out them if they tried that !

19 hours ago, NotThePars said:

I can't remember if it was on here or somewhere else that I saw someone say part of the reason why people get a bit pent up about vegans or non-drinkers is that it feels like a tacit rebuke of them for drinking and eating meat. Like they're making a judgment of them just by being there and not taking part. Seems like it makes sense as a justification.

I'm a pescatarian and go though various dry periods solely for health/fitness purposes (as have a tendency to get into a routine of drinking every day and not understanding why I don't see any benefits in terms of toning/fitness from training every day). I think I can see from both sides  and whereas you get some "I love meat/booze and if you don't you're a weirdo" (said in a Yorkshire equivalent "I speak my mind......" tone), at the same time you get some absolutely insufferable vegan/vegetarians/tee-totallers who see this choice as an extension of their personality and wear it very loudly and proudly on their sleeves. So, my unique earth shattering insight is that there are arseholes on both sides. 

In saying that, until a few years ago, every person who didn't have a TV and therefore didn't watch TV would manage to inform you of this within the first 5 mins of meeting you. It has now lost its effect given loads of people forgo TV in order to stream things on their laptops, and I wonder what the old TV-less punters now do in an attempt to sell themselves as someone unique. 

1 hour ago, Highland Capital said:

People who put on Scots.

Particularly those who put on Scots from places that don't speak Scots - like Inverness.

Fuckeen at it these boys like eh?

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

Generational generalisation. 

Anything containing "millenial", "boomer", "yer da" etc can be instantly discounted as the dribblings of a halfwit. 

It's pretty accurate tbh.

Anyone who thinks painting Boris's plane red, white and blue is a good idea will most certainly come under one of these two categories.