Calling Cards of Morons

I would assume a good few read the reports of the guy found dead in a car in Ayr last week. Local rag Facebook page obviously ran the story and within hours folk were posting links to "Paedophiles Hunter" websites as the "cause". WTF are those folk all about, utterly bizarre individuals and the thousands that comment with the same pseudo outrage at every "outing" and then congregate as a lynch mob outside every address posted. Utter morons the lot of them.

It'd be interesting to know how much regular gamblers win/lose over say five years - you'd imagine only a miniscule proportion will have made a profit (some will argue it was worth it though I suppose).  Certainly not something I intend to start doing.

2 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

It'd be interesting to know how much regular gamblers win/lose over say five years - you'd imagine only a miniscule proportion will have made a profit (some will argue it was worth it though I suppose).  Certainly not something I intend to start doing.

For me it's round about £100-£150 per year either way.

Given that normally includes a coupon or two each week, a few trips to the races, and a few bets on Cheltenham / Grand National I don't think that's too bad.

At relatively low stakes it's similar for me to buying some entertainment, with a chance i'll get something back.

You are spot on that some people can be huge amounts down. For those people I can only imagine that feeling of entertainment is replaced by an overwhelming feeling of stress.

13 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

I see it as a hobby and a very inefficient way of saving up for holidays and the like. I rarely bet more than a fiver, so I don't really notice it, but it obviously mounts up over a year or 5.. When I have a rare big win I spend it wisely on treats like a holiday, or this time on a camper van which may or may not prove a wise decision. It would no doubt be much more efficient putting the fivers in an ISA, but nowhere near as much fun.

I see it as a hobby and a very inefficient way of saving up for holidays and the like. I rarely bet more than a fiver, so I don't really notice it, but it obviously mounts up over a year or 5.. When I have a rare big win I spend it wisely on treats like a holiday, or this time on a camper van which may or may not prove a wise decision. It would no doubt be much more efficient putting the fivers in an ISA, but nowhere near as much fun.
Pretty much this for me, too.

I budget for a tenner a week, and any winnings are a bonus.

24 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

There's probably a case to say you're better off sticking £1k on Celtic to win the league than sticking it into savings/Cash ISA.

People that are betting to make a profit are the real morons, it's the thrill of losing 10 races in a row and fluking a 20/1 shot with your last lay of the day.

Was having a ball on Saturday with making my money back (£23) off The Arsenal only for my cousin to stick his £25 free play on Aubameyang to score the last goal at 6/1. Dick.

There's probably a case to say you're better off sticking £1k on Celtic to win the league than sticking it into savings/Cash ISA.
44% return on that bet if it comes in, cash ISA is a guaranteed ~1%. I think you might have a decent point there.

If you stuck a tenner on Celtic to win every week, what kinda profit would ye make?

With a win percentage of 86.6 last season you'd have needed an average profit of 15% on games they won to break even*. They're 1.35 away against Kille this Sunday, but were 1.05 at home to Hamilton the other day.

*assuming you bet the same on each match.

Edit:

I went through last season and putting £10 on Celtic to win every Premiership match would have profited you £32.40 at the end of the season, a return of 10.8%.

On 04/08/2020 at 08:27, Highland Capital said:

Betting.  Just seems like an enormous waste of money.

On 04/08/2020 at 12:08, Highland Capital said:

I can understand how some people could do well at it if they were very clever about it

Betting is for morons unless you're clever about it?

On 04/08/2020 at 14:49, DiegoDiego said:
On 04/08/2020 at 14:05, Dons_1988 said:

44% return on that bet if it comes in, cash ISA is a guaranteed ~1%. I think you might have a decent point there.

Or lose 1000 if rangers win

5 minutes ago, akuram said:

Their statement should really had a direct apology to St Johnstone F C.

We seem to have been just brushed aside as not involved in this at all.

Can't blame Aberdeen F C at all but we are going to lose out at the end of the day.

Sporting thing would be for Aberdeen not to play any of those players when the game is played on the 20th.