Calling Cards of Morons

12 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Greeting about match tickets for football games being online purchase only (i.e. no pay at the gate option). Exacerbated by claiming clubs will lose money/fans because of it.

Dumbarton is the club for these people. Not only do we not sell tickets online, we demand that you go to an ATM and hand over cold, hard cash for entry. 

10 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Can't say I agree. There are people who don't want to use their phones for everything/do everything online whether you want to acknowledge that or not. 

But they are fighting against the tide on this one. Online ticketing isn't going away; quite the opposite. It's going to become rarer and rarer for clubs to take paper tickets. The cost savings alone are one factor, as well as avoiding folk dipping the takings. 

Folk used to order paper tickets, or go and buy one, during the week. It's very easy to do the same with online tickets. I got mine for today's game last night. You don't need an internet connection to use it either, as I can access the email offline or access it in the PDF drive on my phone.

I'm afraid it's adapt or lose out, and for such a simple thing to do (and very easy to learn; many clubs have guides) it very much is a moronic thing to miss out on a big part of your life and something you enjoy simply because folk don't like online tickets or refuse to take the 2 minutes to learn how to do it (or even ask for help). 

Just now, The Moonster said:

Dumbarton is the club for these people. Not only do we not sell tickets online, we demand that you go to an ATM and hand over cold, hard cash for entry. 

Better get that temporary terracing back out to meet the demand.

13 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Greeting about match tickets for football games being online purchase only (i.e. no pay at the gate option). Exacerbated by claiming clubs will lose money/fans because of it.

For the lowest income group internet access is going down to under 70%. The vast majority of people in Scotland do have access but cash should always be an option. 

Also if you arrive after 3pm often online sales don't work as the even has begun, this happened to my friend when he went to Abroath his train was delayed and he arrived at 15:03 and couldn't buy a ticket. Yes he should have bought in advance but clubs should be taking folks money in any form when things are a bit tight.

I just find it odd that the smartphone drones seem absolutely determined that everybody should fall in line with them. Very selfish attitude. 

Whilst the tech is convenient and beneficial, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the cash alternative. Still plenty people not 'connected' and have no intention of being so. Struggling to deal with that days more about you than them. 

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

But they are fighting against the tide on this one. Online ticketing isn't going away; quite the opposite. It's going to become rarer and rarer for clubs to take paper tickets. The cost savings alone are one factor, as well as avoiding folk dipping the takings. 

Folk used to order paper tickets, or go and buy one, during the week. It's very easy to do the same with online tickets. I got mine for today's game last night. You don't need an internet connection to use it either, as I can access the email offline or access it in the PDF drive on my phone.

I'm afraid it's adapt or lose out, and for such a simple thing to do (and very easy to learn; many clubs have guides) it very much is a moronic thing to miss out on a big part of your life and something you enjoy simply because folk don't like online tickets or refuse to take the 2 minutes to learn how to do it (or even ask for help). 

Better get that temporary terracing back out to meet the demand.

The thread isn't called 'Things that I think are daft and here's my lecture why'. 

1 minute ago, 101 said:

For the lowest income group internet access is going down to under 70%. The vast majority of people in Scotland do have access but cash should always be an option. 

Also if you arrive after 3pm often online sales don't work as the even has begun, this happened to my friend when he went to Abroath his train was delayed and he arrived at 15:03 and couldn't buy a ticket. Yes he should have bought in advance but clubs should be taking folks money in any form when things are a bit tight.

No different from not being able to buy a paper ticket after 15.00, which has happened before.

1 minute ago, Trackdaybob said:

I just find it odd that the smartphone drones seem absolutely determined that everybody should fall in line with them. Very selfish attitude. 

Whilst the tech is convenient and beneficial, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the cash alternative. Still plenty people not 'connected' and have no intention of being so. Struggling to deal with that days more about you than them. 

But it isn't up to us and it isn't a question of fans demanding online only and/or wanting online only. I wouldn't mind if paper tickets were still available, but I, you and everyone else has no say in the matter.

It's up to the clubs, and for them online tickets are far more cost effective, convenient and secure. They have so many advantages over paper tickets.

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

No different from not being able to buy a paper ticket after 15.00, which has happened before.

You could turn up at a gate after 3pm and pay your money no bother, so this just isn't true.

It's up to the clubs, and for them online tickets are far more cost effective, convenient and secure. They have so many advantages over paper tickets.

Not if the people buying online tickets order child/concessions that they're not entitled to, so this isn't actually true either.

It's clear that online tickets will only further dominate from this point onwards, but your arguments for why objections to them are 'moronic' are themselves pretty moronic. I'd stop digging if I were you. 

9 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

But it isn't up to us and it isn't a question of fans demanding online only and/or wanting online only. I wouldn't mind if paper tickets were still available, but I, you and everyone else has no say in the matter.

This is just a fucking weird take. People are allowed to voice their opinions.

1 minute ago, virginton said:

You could turn up at a gate after 3pm and pay your money no bother, so this just isn't true.

Not if the people buying online tickets order child/concessions that they're not entitled to, so this isn't actually true either.

It's clear that online tickets will only further dominate from this point onwards, but your arguments for why objections to them are 'moronic' are themselves pretty moronic. I'd stop digging if I were you. 

In some cases yes, you could (can?) turn up and pay at the gate after 15.00. However, many clubs moved to the model of selling tickets from their ticket office or portacabin or kiosks etc only, and some have been strict on shutting at a certain point/time.

The stewards on the gates should be checking if folk are concessions for such tickets. At some grounds they are the ones scanning the tickets. No different from folk trying the same with a paper ticket. In the season I got in to Alloa for under 16 and as an OAP.

This is a forum for discussion, so I'll be taking no lectures from you on digging.

Just now, eez-eh said:

This is just a fucking weird take. People are allowed to voice their opinions.

I never said they weren't. But how often do clubs listen to fans? On some matters, sure, but given clubs have installed the infrastructure and systems for online tickets, do you really think they'll suddenly rip it all out? Perhaps if enough people at one club demanded a cash gate one could be made in to one, but is there really that big a demand for it? So far I haven't seen that.

The Highland League's gone back to cash at the gate after most clubs used an online ticket selling firm during Covid restrictions. Means all the money goes straight to the club instead of the ticketers and the banks.

8 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

In some cases yes, you could (can?) turn up and pay at the gate after 15.00. 

So when you claimed that online tickets were 'exactly the same' as other means of entry in this scenario, you were in fact talking pish. 

The stewards on the gates should be checking if folk are concessions for such tickets. At some grounds they are the ones scanning the tickets. No different from folk trying the same with a paper ticket. In the season I got in to Alloa for under 16 and as an OAP.

It's as if you have never been to a football game and haven't experienced the brain donor stewards who work there (coloured by Cappielow's current flavour of total morons). They are not equipped to do any such thing and a football club that relies on them to identify the correct ticket type does not have a secure or cost-effective solution. 

Paper tickets are not the same because the very same ticket booths you referred to are operated by club officials (like at Queen of the South) who can check ID at the point of sale. So your equation of the two is wrong yet again. 

This is a forum for discussion, so I'll be taking no lectures from you on digging.

Except that you already tried to shut down discussion by labelling your edgy hot take as a ubiquitous 'Calling Card of Morons', only for it to backfire spectacularly as you now spend post after post after post trying - and failing - to justify your dung argument. 

And so here we are. 

Edited by vikingTON

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

So when you claimed that online tickets were 'exactly the same' as other means of entry in this scenario, you were in fact talking pish. 

It's as if you have never been to a football game and haven't experienced the brain donor stewards who work there (coloured by Cappielow's current flavour of total morons). They are not equipped to do any such thing and a football club that relies on them to identify the correct ticket type does not have a secure or cost-effective solution. 

Paper tickets are not the same because the very same ticket booths you referred to are operated by club officials (like at Queen of the South) who can check ID at the point of sale. So your equation of the two is wrong yet again. 

Except that you already tried to shut down discussion by labelling your edgy hot take as a ubiquitous 'Calling Card of Morons', only for it to backfire spectacularly as you now spend post after post after post trying - and failing - to justify your dung argument. 

And so here we are. 

Online tickets can still be purchased after 15.00 in most cases though, so that actually does make them the same as paper tickets.

I know stewards aren't the best at checking tickets (see my given example). But that's on the clubs.

I never tried to shut down debate, as shown by the debate that is currently ongoing.

'Edgy'. Can't agree there. Telling that you went there quickly though. 

All about options. Should have the option of buying online or in person. From a personal standpoint, earlier in the season, Accies had games this season where you've had to buy tickets in advance and couldn't get one on the day. Actually having to take time to go to the ground midweek to buy a ticket for a game with under 400 attending is madness but the option should be there if you choose it

Edited by Bert Raccoon

7 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

There seems to be a very Central Belt train of thought that the distance between Inverness and Aberdeen is akin to Edinburgh and Glasgow or that they are at least somewhat nearby each other (someone's even gone to the trouble of creating a page for the "North-East Derby" between ICT and Aberdeen on Wikipedia even though no such derby or rivalry exists).  

They aren't even vaguely close to each other - it can often take an hour to drive from Inverness to Elgin alone and that's not even halfway there!

Central based people’s knowledge of Scottish geography is terrible in my personal experience. There’s guys I work with who think you can just jump in your car and ‘nip over’ to Barra/Uist etc, and that Dundee is only ‘an hour or so’ from Inverness.

The Aberdeen one is good too. If you can do Inverness to Aberdeen in 2 hours during the day you deserve a medal. 

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

In the absolutely riveting debate on online v cash tickets, I notice that this has slid past without comment.  Of course it is the calling card of a moron thread, it's just not normally used to out yourself.

Edited by strichener

Central based people’s knowledge of Scottish geography is terrible in my personal experience. There’s guys I work with who think you can just jump in your car and ‘nip over’ to Barra/Uist etc, and that Dundee is only ‘an hour or so’ from Inverness.
The Aberdeen one is good too. If you can do Inverness to Aberdeen in 2 hours during the day you deserve a medal. 
Lost count of the number of times I've been working in Inverness and been asked to go by Aberdeen on the way back to drop something off.

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Inverness to Aberdeen is the one journey in Scotland that is noticeably quicker by train and even then the journey takes about two hours.