New tv deal

Who should get the Scottish Premiership tv deal?  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Tv deal

• BT sport only
    • Sky Sports only
    • Joint deal again
    • Other (state who in the comments)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/11/18 at 19:39

20 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

There better be a fuckton of money behind this

When sky announce the huge tv deals they are normally very quick to announce it and show off how much they can pay for  rights.  They're probably embarrassed by how little it's costing so not shouting about it. 

Just now, Ginaro said:

Presumably there can no longer be any financial excuses for not introducing VAR in a couple of years time?

Some clubs can't afford grass pitches, majority can't afford GLT - VAR isn't top of the list in my opinion right now.

10 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

If I was them I'd be straight onto Rory Hamilton asking him to become the voice of Scottish football on Sky, then straight onto Darrell Currie to be the face. It's still a few years down the line, so the pundits can come and go, but Commons and Boyd with their lack of knowledge and beige opinions need to be punted straight onto Celtic/RangersTV.

I really like Rory Hamilton. I've seen some people say they're not a fan of the guy but this seems to basically be because he is or was the Rangers TV commentator or something like that.

From a selfish PoV I'm kind of okay with the new deal as I don't have BT Sport anymore (just on my mobile) so it means I'll see more Scottish football on Sky however their coverage is utterly appalling and you just know that their live games will be X v Rangers or Celtic on the Saturday and Sunday which will quickly become tedious. They better up their game significantly if they want to capture the crowd from BT.

Spoiler

SPFL SECURES GROUND-BREAKING BROADCAST DEALS

THE SPFL HAS AGREED A SERIES OF GROUND-BREAKING BROADCAST DEALS WHICH WILL SEE MAJOR INCREASES IN REVENUES FOR THE SCOTTISH PROFESSIONAL GAME.

The UK & Ireland broadcast rights for the Ladbrokes Premiership, Betfred Cup and IRN-BRU Cup from 2020-21 were auctioned and the winning bids were revealed to clubs by Chief Executive Neil Doncaster at a meeting at Hampden Park this afternoon. The Premiership clubs then gave their approval to each of the winning bids.

Whilst the commercial details of the agreements have not been revealed, under the new deals:

• Sky Sports will exclusively broadcast up to 48 Ladbrokes Premiership live matches per season, as well as up to six Premiership / Championship play-off matches, in each case for five seasons from 2020/21

• Premier Sports will exclusively broadcast between 12 and 16 Betfred Cup live matches and highlights per season

• Existing BBC Scotland television highlights and live radio packages have been renewed for five seasons from 2020, as well as up to 20 live Ladbrokes Championship matches per season for 2018/19 and 2019/20

• MG ALBA has agreed BBC ALBA will also broadcast one deferred Ladbrokes Premiership match each Saturday evening, live matches from the IRN-BRU Cup and the Ladbrokes Championship / League 1 and Ladbrokes League 1 / League 2 play-of finals for three seasons from 2020/21

SPFL chief executive Neil Doncaster, speaking immediately after the meeting with Premiership clubs at Hampden Park, said: “Every single deal is a major increase on our current contracts. Taken together, these deals represent the largest ever injection of broadcast investment since the SPL was founded over 20 years ago.

“Whilst we are not in a position to reveal exact figures, it’s indicative of the sums involved that the clubs quickly voted to accept the deals put before them.

“Interest in the Scottish game is extremely high both at home and overseas and this has been reflected in the size of the commercial deals we have been able to strike in what is definitely a very challenging market.

“It has been a remarkably complex and time-consuming process, but we have definitely got the right result and our media advisor Phil Lines has played an important role in achieving this successful outcome.

“We’re particularly pleased that we have been able to agree a deal for the Ladbrokes Premiership matches on an exclusive basis with a single live broadcast partner. Sky Sports has been at the heart of the football broadcasting revolution for many, many years and its determination to secure our rights and its commitment to ensuring excellence in its programming are extremely encouraging.

“We are also delighted to announce a deal with Premier Sports to broadcast the Betfred Cup and the continuation of our partnerships with BBC Scotland and MG ALBA.

“The significant, additional money which will come into Scottish football will be extremely welcome. The game can only benefit from the strong investment and widespread exposure these deals have secured.”

Barney Francis, Sky Sports’ Managing Director, said: “This is a hugely exciting time for Scottish football – something that has been reflected in the number of fans tuning in to watch on Sky Sports. With more games, in-game clips and highlights of every single Ladbrokes Premiership clash, fans won’t miss a minute. Add in live coverage of Scotland’s Nations League campaign, and every European Championship and World Cup qualifier and we’ve really got the Scottish game covered.”

Michael O’Rourke, Premier Sports’ Chairman, said: “I am genuinely delighted to secure the rights to the Betfred Cup for five seasons from 2020. This deal compliments our recently announced deal with the Scottish FA for their cup competition and completes a unique double for Premier Sports. We are looking forward to working with the SPFL in the years ahead.”

Steve Carson, Head of Multiplatform Commissioning, BBC Scotland, said: “We are delighted to have agreed this new deal with the SPFL. We know there is a huge appetite for Scottish football amongst the audience and these deals will allow us to bring them more action than ever before from the top tiers of the game. It’s great news for fans of the Scottish game and we’re looking forward to delivering a multiplatform package of high-quality coverage across TV, radio and online.”

Iseabail Mactaggart, Director of Strategy and Partnership at MG ALBA, commented: “We’re delighted to secure this agreement with the SPFL. It means Gaelic-language sports programming remains open for all across Scotland.”

7 minutes ago, RiG said:

I really like Rory Hamilton. I've seen some people say they're not a fan of the guy but this seems to basically be because he is or was the Rangers TV commentator or something like that.

From a selfish PoV I'm kind of okay with the new deal as I don't have BT Sport anymore (just on my mobile) so it means I'll see more Scottish football on Sky however their coverage is utterly appalling and you just know that their live games will be X v Rangers or Celtic on the Saturday and Sunday which will quickly become tedious. They better up their game significantly if they want to capture the crowd from BT.

Has Rory Hamilton been on RangersTV? I thought that had always been Tom Miller since it started. Either way he's absolutely excellent imo,

I'm sure the old RangersTV/CelticTV was just a satellite of Setanta, who he used to work for.

From a selfish PoV I'm kind of okay with the new deal as I don't have BT Sport anymore (just on my mobile) so it means I'll see more Scottish football on Sky

Same for me.

I bother more about how many games I’ll be able to see on my telly rather than who’s showing them.

Sky+The BBC Championship stuff is a winner for me.

50 minutes ago, The Master said:

Slightly hidden is that the BBC Scotland Championship deal starts this season and is currently only for two seasons.

I was thinking about that the other night. Weren't they meant to be showing Friday night championship games on bbc2 this season? Hasn't been one yet 

1 minute ago, Briannmataxi said:

I was thinking about that the other night. Weren't they meant to be showing Friday night championship games on bbc2 this season? Hasn't been one yet 

It’s on the new BBC Scotland channel which hasn’t launched yet.

Seething at this.

I get BT Sport free because I have my broadband with them, and as everyone says it's always top notch. Even after the Don Derek Rae moved overseas.

Not a chance in a billion years an odious organisation like Sky will ever get a penny out of me, and I'm not even going to look into Premier. So the beeb games is it for me.

Bizarre to be feeling a bit gutted by this. 

Feels like one of those kids with a single maw who's a bit of a munter but an absolute dirty and is being chucked about.

BT Sport is the good guy as he buys you sweets and has a kick about with you but your maws away back to the horrible guy with the Merc (Sky) who's promised you a holiday but you just know your going be fucked off to a kids club in benidorm or some pish.

BBC is the ‘Uncle’.

Premier sports is the old guy that your maw wanks off from time to time at the back of the local for 5er and free drinks.

Edited by gannonball