New tv deal

Who should get the Scottish Premiership tv deal?  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Tv deal

• BT sport only
    • Sky Sports only
    • Joint deal again
    • Other (state who in the comments)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/11/18 at 19:39

8 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

Will be cancelling my BT Sports then.  Won't be replacing it with Sky right enough.

Absolutely this. 

7 hours ago, Secret Squirrel said:

The Scotsman is still claiming it is £30 million a season. I don't see how the clubs would accept £20 million. 

What if they had no other offer? By all means it seems BT Sport have just given up and it's not likely that Premier Sports are going to rival them. 

This is an absolute kick in the baws. 

Looks like Sky are sick of losing stuff to BT and BT obviously didnt value the product highly enough. Doncaster et al also don't give a toss. If some other company had bid more for less games and were showing them in black and white 4:3 aspect ratio then that deal would have been accepted. Is see this morning that sky have got the EFL for over 500mill.

Eta.. £595 million [emoji58]

1 hour ago, Romeo said:

Looks like Sky are sick of losing stuff to BT and BT obviously didnt value the product highly enough. Doncaster et al also don't give a toss. If some other company had bid more for less games and were showing them in black and white 4:3 aspect ratio then that deal would have been accepted. Is see this morning that sky have got the EFL for over 500mill.

Eta.. £595 million emoji58.png

Think it was 138 league games, playoffs, League Cup and Trophy for the EFL.

Compared to 48 Premiership games and playoffs.

Average it out per game the difference isn't as great. 

Not sure where Div has seen this (mainly because I haven't looked) but if these figures are true it's hard to turn that offer from Sky down especially given how much folk have been clamouring for more cash from the TV deal. Doesn't say much about BT and what they think of Scottish football (again if true).

3 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Absolutely this. 

What if they had no other offer? By all means it seems BT Sport have just given up and it's not likely that Premier Sports are going to rival them. 

This is an absolute kick in the baws. 

All I'm trying to point out is that there are numerous places reporting the deal at the £30 million mark rather than the BBC's £20 million.

In regards to why I don't think they would accept £20 million, it's simply because it's not a major increase. Bidding only closed a few weeks back and according to a record article we passed on a new deal 18 months ago so why would we suddenly rush to accept a bad deal.

Bt have pretty much just walked away there.

As much as I hate how Sky fund the EPL excesses, I'm not sure how Scottish fans walking away from them is going to help the Scottish game. All that'll happen is viewing figures for Scottish games will go down and so will the money.

If the figures being banded about our true it sounds like the SPFL didn’t have a choice 
Ah well 

I could be wrong, but I don’t think they did have a choice. The highest bid wins the rights, regardless of who the bidder actually is. I’d guess if I was to bid £40m for one game they’d throw it out as it’s ridiculous but I think it’s pretty much as cut and dry as highest wins.

That is very disappointing.

I suppose they were always going to go with a significantly higher offer but Sky having full rights is a kick in the balls (partly because I've historically refused to pay for sky and I do for BT sports...).

I think what irritates me, other than the inconvenience of not having sky, is that by winning these rights Sky don't just buy the right to televise games, they are buying the rights to do a large part if not the majority of the marketing of the Scottish game.  They dictate how Scottish football is showcased and we all know very well how Sky see it.

It feels like we've finally gone full circle back to the pre-2012 days of Scottish football.  Opportunity to change the game well and truly missed.

It was fun while it lasted I suppose.

I think most people are right - we need to separate the two issues here. If one bid is significantly higher than the other, I think it would be wrong, to the point of negligence to turn the higher bid down unless there was a real, compelling argument that the highest bidder couldn't not meet their obligations a la Setanta (both main bidders here are nowhere near that bracket). If they have (and I guess we'll find out in time) got significantly more money without significantly making things worse in other ways (kick off times, number of live games) - then we need to say that it is a good deal, even if through gritted teeth.

On the coverage, you would think that Sky have noticed the pretty universal feeling that they have done an appalling job and that BT were preferred by most - and hopefully they will try to move away from the "one Sellic man, one Gers man" pundits and the programmes starting so close to kickoff that said pundits barely get a chance to form a cliche before that patronising c**t of a commentator appears.

Still - it could be worse - they could raid Sportsound's "talent pool":

p05xqwvg.jpg

Just now, Swello said:

I think most people are right - we need to separate the two issues here. If one bid is significantly higher than the other, I think it would be wrong, to the point of negligence to turn the higher bid down unless there was a real, compelling argument that the highest bidder couldn't not meet their obligations a la Setanta (both main bidders here are nowhere near that bracket). If they have (and I guess we'll find out in time) got significantly more money without significantly making things worse in other ways (kick off times, number of live games) - then we need to say that it is a good deal, even if through gritted teeth.

On the coverage, you would think that Sky have noticed the pretty universal feeling that they have done an appalling job and that BT were preferred by most - and hopefully they will try to move away from the "one Sellic man, one Gers man" pundits and the programmes starting so close to kickoff that said pundits barely get a chance to form a cliche before that patronising c**t of a commentator appears.

Still - it could be worse - they could raid Sportsound's "talent pool":

p05xqwvg.jpg

Pat Bonner will undoubtedly be an integral part of BBC Scotland's Championship coverage because of his wide and varied knowledge of all things not Celtic.

It sounds like the SPFL didn't have a choice tbqh. I'm still quite peeved that BT Sport only offered £20 million per season. I know that they're making cutbacks as the CL and Europa league rights aren't as profitable as they hoped, but IMO for the audience they are getting, taking into account the broadband and whatnot, it would have been a good deal to get us on board in comparison.

It is possible to think that Sky could take some of the BT team with them and they'd be daft not to. Plenty of presenters and pundits out of work now, so hopefully they could move across.

I just sincerely hope that the figure is closer to being around the £33 million and not the £20 million per season figures that the BBC stated, as it would feel like another f**k you to the people that feel the arduous feeling of being short changed continues with no end in sight.

I was pissed off last night, but having slept on it, in spite of the usual trepidation of what future coverage we could have ahead of us, if it is closer to £33 million, then it's quite a good deal considering it will be 48 games instead of the 60. I'm gutted that there will probably be no Friday night games, because in spite of the fact I'm glad that there will be more Saturday 3pm kick-offs (mostly for fans as public transport is not so good for a Friday night unless it's in the central belt, but more likely there will be more bums on seats rather than armchairs), I've really enjoyed them.

A bit of comparison has been made of the English football league, but judging by the fact that a lot of the teams in the championship are not happy with it, I don't think you've heard the last of it, which is weird because you could argue is the teams in the league one and two that get a pretty shit deal out of it. Not to mention that those rights aren't exclusive as championship teams will be encouraged to start their own direct streaming services. I think with the Sky getting our rights exclusively, that might mean an end to the club TV channels, which is a tad gutting because I quite enjoy the Rangers TV commentator meltdowns.