The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

1 minute ago, Boo Khaki said:

Be a wee shame if the pair of bellends on the front row punted each other into the scenery at the first corner.

It would make things more interesting.

Hungary has a good habit of producing first race wins.

Just now, approximately dave said:

It would make things more interesting.

Hungary has a good habit of producing first race wins.

TBH, Max is going to run away with the title regardless, so if I was him I'd be tempted to go full 'my steering locked' mode just to provoke the inevitable toddler-tantrum from #44

49 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

TBH, Max is going to run away with the title regardless, so if I was him I'd be tempted to go full 'my steering locked' mode just to provoke the inevitable toddler-tantrum from #44

I genuinely think there's something in that. He's not the best off the line so could well happen. 

22 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Max has practically all but had his name engraved on the silverware and Red Bull in the Constructors will easily make it a clean sweep unless they've been doing something dodgy with their DRS?

Hamilton said after qualifying -

“I mean, they’ve still got the DRS, they don’t have the DRS advantage all of a sudden than they used to have. Where did that go?

“But I mean they’ve just had an upgrade, so we expected them to have taken another step. We heard it was around two-tenths or something like that. So for them to not have been able to extract that in qualifying is interesting.”

Its nothing but all the teams improving with upgrades while the RB19 peaked earlier in the season. However he's not one to miss a chance to 'Lee Wallace' up the opposition and even if it doesn't work his fans including chief fanboy Andrew Benson will be convinced that Red Bull were cheating all along and it will appeal to his ego. I can't imagine the DRS making that much of a difference in Hungary anyway given how slow the circuit is and how much more important acceleration out of the corners, handling and grip is around there rather than straight line speed.

1 hour ago, The Golden God said:

Russell, Perez and Sainz again showing how vastly superior their team mates are. If the front 3 could all take themselves out and we end up with Piastri and Zhou on the podium that would be excellent  

Nah, Russell is faster than Hamilton, there's something underhanded going on there where it looks like Hamilton is gathering the whole team around him to the detrement of Russell. There's no way Hamilton has suddenly got good and Russell has suddenly turned into a bad driver, something stinks.

Perez is was good but Verstappen is a different level, we know that.

Leclerc has the slightly more naturally talent over Sainz, but often Sainz is a match for him or better, seen that this season. Sainz currently ahead of Leclerc in the drivers standings is proof of this. However much of the deciding factor when it comes to one Ferrari driver being ahead of the other is down to which driver has been shat on by the seemingly random Ferrari strategy. It could look like Sainz got shat on this time but the gap was only 0.123 and Leclerc was sandwiched by the Alfa Romeos who have the same engine points to the car being the issue.

I do think people tend to look at grid positions rather than the lap times. Q1 gap between 1st and 20th was 0.671 seconds, which is amazing. One small mistake, running to wide or if the car steps out and you lose 10 places which is huge.

Edited by approximately dave

The new qualifying format involving tyres doesn't look like finding favour with the drivers and teams and likely to be binned after the race today. There was talk of messing around with the tyre choice format during the race but so far not heard anything further.

Alonso said ''Its been horrible''.

Toto Wolff has said its has been ''strange''

F1 making it up as it goes along because it thinks its good for TV.

Maybe Liberty Media must think that F1 is boring.