The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

Looking ahead to next season, I really cannot see Sargeant staying at Williams, or Perez staying at Red Bull (surely Horner will get someone else in). 

If Stroll was anyone else's son he would have been binned long ago at Aston Martin. 

The thing is, Aston Martin should be in a solid 3rd in the Constructors Championship, but due to having a rabbit in the second car they will probably end up fifth. That will cost them millions. Son or not, he shouldn't be anywhere near an F1 car. He simply is nowhere near good enough.

Perez is driving like a man who knows he is out on his ear. Sadly, he looks completely broken. I can't think who RB would get in to replace him, but surely Perez cannot stay on, for his own wellbeing if nothing else.

Edited by Sarto Mutiny

44 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

The thing is, Aston Martin should be in a solid 3rd in the Constructors Championship, but due to having a rabbit in the second car they will probably end up fifth. That will cost them millions. Son or not, he shouldn't be anywhere near an F1 car. He simply is nowhere near good enough.

Perez is driving like a man who knows he is out on his ear. Sadly, he looks completely broken. I can't think who RB would get in to replace him, but surely Perez cannot stay on, for his own wellbeing if nothing else.

Who to replace Perez? Quite a few options. 

Ricciardo could end up back there, he's be a better #2 driver. Liam Lawson or someone else from the RBR Academy. Maybe Albon has matured enough to come back?

If Red Bull are actually ambitious though they'd get one of the McLaren drivers. 

3 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Looking ahead to next season, I really cannot see Sargeant staying at Williams, or Perez staying at Red Bull (surely Horner will get someone else in). 

If Stroll was anyone else's son he would have been binned long ago at Aston Martin. 

Not 100% but I think Sargeant was told just before the weekend that he wasn't being retained for next season. Mick Schumacher is their reserve driver but I've heard that he is already looking for a race drive next season if not F1 then in other catagories, I don't think he is any better. Theo Pourchaire would be a logical choice since Sauber look to be sticking with Zhou Guanyu next season which is surprising, I believe Pourchaire is a better quicker racing driver and has a lot more potential. Maybe Pourchaire is off to Indycars next season or has some other plan we don't know which scuppers this. Sauber wanted to wait until he was mature enough and there he is now about to be F2 Champion and ready for the step up. Maybe Williams can gain a talent and a potential team leader when Albon moves on to bigger things.

Another borrow for next season that will have crossed most folks mind would be for Williams to take Liam Lawson for a season. I'm not sure if this is a good investment since surely he surely will be back at either Red Bull or what ever AlphaTauri will be called in 2025 or sooner if Ricciardo doesn't get up to speed next season so his best place is staying where he is ready to step in. I'm going to take a flying guess and say Lawson will be in that car before Monaco.

Its too late to change drivers at Red Bull this season and realistically there no one freed up right now who is at the level and experience to take that other seat at Red Bull for next season. If Red Bull are still winning and top the constructors table in 2024 with Perez contributing with podiums or simply points here and there they won't change drivers until 2025. But if the likes of Ferrari and McLaren are up there taking wins and points off them in 2024 that could all change.

A few months ago I checked up on which driver had the biggest gap to his team mate including de Vries, Perez and Sargeant and the answer was Lance Stroll. He did have an injury to his hand early in the season but even so he hasn't really closed the gap to Alonso by that much since then. There have been grumblings already about Lance Stroll's performance within Aston Martin. Looking back at last season and how an average F1 driver such as Ocon can pretty much match, keep up and on occasion beat Alonso on the track in an Alpine and then realise the obvious that they the team are not seeing their own car which they have spent so much time and resources on trying to get the car to reach its full potential and realise there could have been more because one driver is consistantly underperforming has to be massive frustration for the team, doesn't matter if some of the funding has come from Stroll senior, the team should be bigger than that. This could get all firey next season with the Strolls. I think the correct term currently there is bubbling-under-the-surface.

Edited by CityDave94

I'm finding the surprise and writing off as "just one incident" of the Hamilton crash pretty odd. Quotes such as "the greatest wheel-to-wheel" racer of all time as well. This might be true when you have a car that is a second a lap quicker than the rest of the field, but evidence suggests that when not in a dominant car Hamilton has many more crashes. I mean, he used to crash into Felipe Massa every weekend at one point, and in the last few years he's been involved in numerous sloppy crashes, for which he shoulders most of the blame.

Sargeant could have easily passed out during the race. Lance Stroll said he briefly passed out during the race, there is onboard footage of him losing control of his body, Imagine if that had happened on one of the fast corners or at a breaking point with other cars around. He has certainly close to fainting after the race there is footage of that. Both Albon and Sargeant had problems getting out of the car which should never happen. Ocon was sick twice. Quite a few had to visit the medical center after the race. Russell was another who was struggling. Sargeant did the right thing retiring, Stroll should have done so to.

The FIA are now looking into driving in extreme conditions. They have been over the years been usually good at placing races on the calendar at the best times of the year to avoid the worst weather at that particular circuit. Qatar should be binned anyway, too many races in that part of the world, plus its a terrible circuit. There is a 10 year contract to hold the race there so maybe the best choice to make right away is just not have a sprint race there.

Driver's safety should always come first before even thinking about TV coverage and the show.

18 hours ago, Mr. Brightside said:

I'm finding the surprise and writing off as "just one incident" of the Hamilton crash pretty odd. Quotes such as "the greatest wheel-to-wheel" racer of all time as well. This might be true when you have a car that is a second a lap quicker than the rest of the field, but evidence suggests that when not in a dominant car Hamilton has many more crashes. I mean, he used to crash into Felipe Massa every weekend at one point, and in the last few years he's been involved in numerous sloppy crashes, for which he shoulders most of the blame.

Some people just have a blind spot when #blessed is concerned.

On 10/10/2023 at 11:09, CityDave94 said:

Sargeant could have easily passed out during the race. Lance Stroll said he briefly passed out during the race, there is onboard footage of him losing control of his body, Imagine if that had happened on one of the fast corners or at a breaking point with other cars around. He has certainly close to fainting after the race there is footage of that. Both Albon and Sargeant had problems getting out of the car which should never happen. Ocon was sick twice. Quite a few had to visit the medical center after the race. Russell was another who was struggling. Sargeant did the right thing retiring, Stroll should have done so to.

The FIA are now looking into driving in extreme conditions. They have been over the years been usually good at placing races on the calendar at the best times of the year to avoid the worst weather at that particular circuit. Qatar should be binned anyway, too many races in that part of the world, plus its a terrible circuit. There is a 10 year contract to hold the race there so maybe the best choice to make right away is just not have a sprint race there.

Driver's safety should always come first before even thinking about TV coverage and the show.

On 12/10/2023 at 20:45, Stu said:

William Storey of Rich Energy/Haas fame trying to buy Reading FC. That'll go well.

Scottish football needs a weak William Storey like character. Imagine having someone like that at the helm of a club like Falkirk.

McIlroy, Joshua and Alexander-Arnold among F1 Alpine team co-investors

This is a strange one. I saw James Vowels at the last race talking about F1 finances - almost all the teams are making losses. Alpine aren't exactly a big name, they're in a near-permanent state of crisis. 

Still, free tickets. 

54 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

McIlroy, Joshua and Alexander-Arnold among F1 Alpine team co-investors

This is a strange one. I saw James Vowels at the last race talking about F1 finances - almost all the teams are making losses. Alpine aren't exactly a big name, they're in a near-permanent state of crisis. 

Still, free tickets. 

I can't imagine it will be a tax dodge of any sort