The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

I dont even think f1 is hard to fix. Smaller cars with less aero, get rid of the stupid complicated horrible sounding engines and bring back a simpler v8(which would hopefully encourage more manufacturers in) scrap drs, bring back refuelling with a small fuel tank for more stops and get rid of all the stupid penalties [emoji106]

Oh and some randomly timed sprinklers around the tracks! [emoji51]

A lad I went to school with went to the European GP every year, they loved It. Quite eerie looking at an abandoned track.
It was eery and also kind of cool. The really weird bit is it's a street track yet there's a huge part that is still all fenced off and you can't get into (apart from one bit where the fencing had helpfully fallen down). Most of those photos I took by sticking my phone through the catch fencing and hoping I didn't drop it.

Surprised C4 found highlights to show in that race. Utterly dull track that's basically a car park with a painted track, 1 stop race and no fans. When they did that at Caesars Palace it was criticised! The fact that Danny Ric could just drive off the circuit on a straight to pass Raikkonen at full pelt is embarrassing!

When you hear the pundits on TV openly critical of the sport and wishing to use the sprinkers they have it says it all!

Fair play to Mercedes, 77% of race wins since the hybrid era and 8/8 this year is perhaps the most dominant any team has been in F1 history.  It not their fault they have such a good car, but it is a bit dull!  

2 hours ago, flyingscot said:

Fair play to Mercedes, 77% of race wins since the hybrid era and 8/8 this year is perhaps the most dominant any team has been in F1 history.  It not their fault they have such a good car, but it is a bit dull!

Yep that’s what I say on social media when people say Mercedes are ruining F1. Sport is all about winning and they are the best team out there. I’m sure they won’t stop to allow the others to catch up, they will keep going. Amazing to think Hamilton would pass Schumacher’s record of 91 wins if he wins every other race this season. Can’t see it happening, though.

16 hours ago, IainMorton said:

Yep that’s what I say on social media when people say Mercedes are ruining F1. Sport is all about winning and they are the best team out there. I’m sure they won’t stop to allow the others to catch up, they will keep going. Amazing to think Hamilton would pass Schumacher’s record of 91 wins if he wins every other race this season. Can’t see it happening, though.

I do think Mercedes dominance is damaging the sport from an entertainment perspective.

People are starting to get seriously worried, and even F1 fans like myself aren't watching races any more. It's not Mercedes fault, they have the best package and are winning by right, but for a sport that depends on racing and battling for titles, it's not helping matters. 

I honestly can't remember another era where a team has done it year in and year out, usually something happens, staff change, rules change. Even in the middle of the Schumacher era, 2002-2004, we had 5 different teams winning races. 

People seem to think anyone criticising the sport is blaming Merc. That's not the case, Merc interpreted the rules best. The problem is that they're so far ahead that they risk damaging the sport (or you could argue the other teams have by not doing well enough)

I think previously some of this dominance was mitigated by unreliability. But the cars now are so reliable, plus drivers get away with going off track, that you have a very clear 1st, 2nd and 3rd team. Watching a race for 7th isn't worth watching.

I've watched since about 95 and can't remember ever caring less about races.

FE, BTCC, f2, f3 and occasionally INDY wipe the floor with F1 in the entertainment stakes.

Penalties galore in Austria qualifying causing chaos. https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/11749940/austrian-gp-grid-lewis-hamilton-fourth-not-fifth-amid-mass-penalties?fbclid=IwAR3IwougabC-9NiafH6hdU2Y4_NxPTYwyrar1lICPqYCx4bgVkNHZzI09zc

The highlight is George Russell qualifying 19th, getting a 3 place penalty, and as a result of other penalties, actually starting in 18th.

I personally love the idea of all the team and Honda execs looking like right idiots with those celebrations when a penalty is slapped down

ETA I don't think it should be a penalty but it would be funny after those celebrations