St Mirren vs Hibernian

I thought at the time that was a penalty. I've since been corrected on here that if there's no contact it should be an indirect free kick. It's safe to say that McGregor's boot didn't make contact with Jackson's head, impossible to say from that photo that there was no contact at all though.

How on earth is it not at the very least an indirect free kick? What was McLean watching?

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out-thunk by Eddie May! :toilet

Even in the shallow pool that is Scottish football Eddie May is recognised as a  bottom feeder yet today he out-thunk (and yes I know it's a spelling mistake) OK. We went in at H/T  deservedly 1-0 up but after May brought on his first sub Hibs won just about every midfield tussle and after a couple of warnings equalised, then 10 minutes later took the lead with our manager unable to do anything to save the game and 3 vital points slipping away from us. The third goal close to time for Hibs when we were chasing the game was pretty much a formality. :(

No subs for Saints today and in the end a well deserved defeat - can either Accies or Dundee outperform us in the race to finish bottom? :toilet.

30 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I thought at the time that was a penalty. I've since been corrected on here that if there's no contact it should be an indirect free kick. It's safe to say that McGregor's boot didn't make contact with Jackson's head, impossible to say from that photo that there was no contact at all though.

How on earth is it not at the very least an indirect free kick? What was McLean watching?

It’s a penalty. Can’t be an indirect I don’t think. It’s similar to overhead kicks - very rarely punished but can often be dangerous if someone’s head is in the vicinity. 

1 hour ago, Bobby_F said:

Nothing to see here. 

0B4E2831-199C-415D-BA59-1614B359AE54.jpeg

Stonewall penalty ........McLean is an absolute joke of a ref.......major feck ups match after match

However the BBC Scotland report thinks getting yer head kicked off is putting someone under pressure 

"Marciano denied Stephen McGinn and McGregor cleared the rebound under pressure from Jackson, before Hibs compounded St Mirren's frustration"

10 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Totally agree. I don't think we deserved anything from the game. Doesn't change a bad decision though.

I think we deserved at least a draw; and if we had scored from either of the two fabulous chances at 1-0 I think we'd have won it.

Even after we went 2-1 down we created a couple of good chances, should probably have had a penalty, and eventually got caught by a sucker punch after Erahon played a slack pass as we were trying to force things.

Plenty of positive signs for us today, despite the defeat, and I hope the management and players aren't as defeatist as some of our fans.

2 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

I think we deserved at least a draw; and if we had scored from either of the two fabulous chances at 1-0 I think we'd have won it.

Even after we went 2-1 down we created a couple of good chances, should probably have had a penalty, and eventually got caught by a sucker punch after Erahon played a slack pass as we were trying to force things.

Plenty of positive signs for us today, despite the defeat, and I hope the management and players aren't as defeatist as some of our fans.

I'm not defeatist, I just don't think we can give away goals as cheaply as we did today and claim to have deserved anything. 

From the new players McAllister and Lyons had encouraging performances. Dreyer looked ok and was unlucky he didn't see more of the ball. I thought Tansey looked well off the pace, that will improve with games.

We threw that away. We were reasonably comfortable at 1-0 and if McAllister scores it's probably game over. I can only assume he was trying to get it onto his left foot but he should just have shot - couldn't have been much worse than the end result.

53 minutes ago, Stu said:

We threw that away. We were reasonably comfortable at 1-0 and if McAllister scores it's probably game over. I can only assume he was trying to get it onto his left foot but he should just have shot - couldn't have been much worse than the end result.

Agree, at 2-0 we would win. Also, was the penalty people are talking about here during the stramash in the box at 2-1? If so, it shouldn't matter because we absolutely should have scored there as well. We butchered a lot of chances today, not just misses or saves, but simple overlaps where we took the wrong option, too many bad decisions. Considering our front 4 haven't played together much I'm choosing to hope this will get better.

24 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

Never mind the part where the St Mirren keeper scooped the ball up from a blatant pass back. These decisions even themselves out over the course of 90 minutes while the quality wins over. 4U0m6pP.png

Not sure if serious.

Never in a million years was that a deliberate back pass.

1 hour ago, Crawford Bridge said:

A penalty can't be awarded for dangerous play without contact. It should have been an indirect free-kick.

It's not difficult to grasp. 

Maybe he "felt a touch".....makes all the difference.......so we keep getting told by the experts!!!!!!!

As usual not even discussed on Sportscene......can you imagine if it happened in game  between the Ugly Sisters. ??????

49 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

Not sure if serious.

Never in a million years was that a deliberate back pass.

Looked at the goalkeeper before knocking it back to make sure it was directly to him. Goalkeeper doesn't pick it up right away as he knows it's a pass back, but panics and picks it up when the Hibs player runs in on him.

But yeah, never in a million years. But perhaps this year, this day, during the time of the match. bQshDtu.png

Never mind the part where the St Mirren keeper scooped the ball up from a blatant pass back. These decisions even themselves out over the course of 90 minutes while the quality wins over. 4U0m6pP.png&key=77513746af445dd4fcc5911777edb4fe4d02c2ea81180e4693e5487210a48426
That was never a pass back... behave yourself!

That was never a pass back... behave yourself!
Dunno I don't think we could have complained if it was given. Keeper knew he was taking a risk because he didnt pick it up straight away.

As for the game first half we were brilliant and Hibs were poor.

2nd half Hibs changed their shape and looked much better when Shaw came on. They were clinical whilst we forced their keeper into 2 great saves and McAllister should have done better with the 'empty goal'.

Lyon's looks a live wire, superb assist for Jackson who was unplayable in the first half.

Archived