The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Watched the Dunfermline vs Falkirk game last night. Dunfermline highlighted everything we aren't and also what it takes to get out of league 1.

● Management team that can make changes when things aren't going to plan.

● Better game management (street wise,  seeing the game out).

● Solid defence (experienced pros like Kyle Benedictus, Chris Hamilton etc)

● Big Haddy striker to bring off the bench (Todarov etc).

● Manager that has previously achieved promotion or has won League 1 previously.

● Team that focuses on winning games of football rather than being the 'best footballing team' grinding out results.

Overall I was impressed by Dunfermline especially in the second half of the game, and if we are looking to plan to get promotion this season, we should be looking to follow a similar model if possible. I think the idea of having a development academy is complete nonsense and we should be looking to build a team to try and aim for promotion. If both Dunfermline and Falkirk go up, that would leave us in a league with potentially Hamilton, Arbroath and QOS going for promotion, not saying that would be easy, but I don't imagine any of the teams budgets or resources would be that of Falkirk and Dunfermline.

15 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

Watched the Dunfermline vs Falkirk game last night. Dunfermline highlighted everything we aren't and also what it takes to get out of league 1.

● Manager that has previously achieved promotion or has won League 1 previously.

● Team that focuses on winning games of football rather than being the 'best footballing team' grinding out results.

Overall I was impressed by Dunfermline especially in the second half of the game, and if we are looking to plan to get promotion this season, we should be looking to follow a similar model if possible. I think the idea of having a development academy is complete nonsense and we should be looking to build a team to try and aim for promotion. If both Dunfermline and Falkirk go up, that would leave us in a league with potentially Hamilton, Arbroath and QOS going for promotion, not saying that would be easy, but I don't imagine any of the teams budgets or resources would be that of Falkirk and Dunfermline.

Not forgetting a budget which will be double what ours is.

52 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

Sorry but if you believe that having a youth team is stopping us from going up i don't know what to say. It takes up minimal resources as they are all apprentices so can only really see an up side for it. If you think we should follow dunfermline's model then that would include having a youth team.

All valid points aside from that although 3 of their back 4 last night was 23 or under so don't really think age is the issue for us and more with the way we are set up. 

To be fair to rhys it seems like he's moving away from focusing on playing the best football/ the right way etc. I think the way we set up against falkirk, dunfermline away does show to me that he is trying to get his team to grind out results as opposed to just playing expansive no matter what. Albeit still not found much success with it yet.

For me at least, promotion was always going to be really tough with a new manager and much improved competition. What I'm hoping for (or at least what I'm telling myself) is that the management team are getting all the mistakes out the way this season so we can get it right next season.

1 hour ago, David Fernández said:

I was there last night and posted in the match thread about how much the game reminded me of the Cove v Airdrie games last season. We battered Cove in the first half of the last game between us but in the others always struggled to create chances and then Cove popped up with a sucker punch. 

I think, assuming the very unlikely scenario of is winning a play-off doesn’t happen, Falkirk going up in them would be the best outcome for us. I reckon even Queen of the South have a bigger budget than us and any of Arbroath, Cove and Hamilton (though who knows what would happen with them) will do too but as you say, it makes it a much more level playing field. I don’t think anyone can realistically expect us to win a league with Dunfermline and Falkirk in it, that relies on them underperforming and us overperforming, but watching the game last night I did think that an on-form Airdrie team could have put a few goals past either team in that first half. The issue is we’d have conceded even more afterwards!

As much as we having a proven, experienced manager would be great, a manager who is able to change a game would be the best thing for us right now. McPake regularly switches between a back three and four during games if things aren’t working, as well as knowing when to use Todorov, O’Hara etc depending on the opponent. Even last night, he made a change early in the second half to move Matty Todd inside which changed the game completely. McCabe seems unable or reluctant to do that most weeks unfortunately. He has done it on occasion before, we were struggling in the 1-1 draw up at Dunfermline earlier in the season until we went 3-5-2, moved McCabe to centre back and put Devenny on as a wing-back. The latter got an assist for the equaliser and for about 10-15 minutes it felt like McCabe was in full control of that game. Unfortunately since then he seems hesitant to do this, instead relying on pummelling teams early doors and if that doesn’t work we panic. As you say, Dunfermline (and Cove last season) have the ability to dig in, be compact and produce a goal when it really matters, all things we’re just unable to do for some reason.

Not been on for a while given the results!!! 

Wee word for CGal. I’ve been massively frustrated by him at times in the past. IIRC he had decent chances v Cove and QP last season which he couldn’t take and he was constantly offside. Paired with a running style which is all arms and legs but little pace!!!

BUT I’ve really enjoyed watching him this season. Now able to hold it up really well, playing offside much better and some sublime finishes over the past 2 games which were wasted as consolations

I’d get him on penalties and sign him on a 2 year deal if he’ll have it. Seems a good lad too in interviews. 

Edited by CapitalDiamond

35 minutes ago, CapitalDiamond said:

Wee word for CGal. I’ve been massively frustrated by him at times in the past. IIRC he had decent chances v Cove and QP last season which he couldn’t take and he was constantly offside. Paired with a running style which is all arms and legs but little pace!!!

BUT I’ve really enjoyed watching him this season. Now able to hold it up really well, playing offside much better and some sublime finishes over the past 2 games which were wasted as consolations

I’d get him on penalties and sign him on a 2 year deal if he’ll have it. Seem’s a good lad too in interviews. 

Yeah he’s really stepped up a level this season. I’ve always been a big fan and stuck up for him but I’m not convinced there’s a better striker at this level. I thought the 4-0 Montrose game where Jamieson scored a hat-trick was good evidence of it. Gallagher dropped very deep and spent all game linking play and just generally being very creative, there’s no chance he could have done that two seasons ago. I don’t know whether it’s him improving with age, McCabe’s coaching or a combination but it deserves a lot of credit.

He’s the one player I think we’d miss hugely if he was out injured for a while. It sounds daft but people really underestimate the value of a reliable goalscorer.

11 hours ago, CapitalDiamond said:

I’d get him on penalties and sign him on a 2 year deal if he’ll have it. Seems a good lad too in interviews. 

Yep 100% been consistent for years and stepped it up even more this season in a poorer side.

Can't believe there was a debate on here last season on whether we should keep him or not.

13 hours ago, CapitalDiamond said:

Glad to see my Gallagher propaganda is finally spreading 😍

On 08/03/2023 at 14:56, David Fernández said:

Fair summary there I think.  A solid central defence is an absolute must (be it L1 or Championship) and its certainly been a serious weakness yet again for Queens this season.

Agree, there's a good chance Dunfermline and Falkirk both take the step up this season and you would think their budgets would exceed the likes of Accies, Arbroath or Cove coming down (tbf ... I'm not too sure about the level of funding for Cove; assume they are "sugar daddy" funded somehow).  So that should put Airdrie and Queens in with a decent shout at being competitive next season.  Good summer recruitment is going to be key for both clubs I think.  Big summer/season ahead for both McCabe and Bartley.

17 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Fair summary there I think.  A solid central defence is an absolute must (be it L1 or Championship) and its certainly been a serious weakness yet again for Queens this season.

Agree, there's a good chance Dunfermline and Falkirk both take the step up this season and you would think their budgets would exceed the likes of Accies, Arbroath or Cove coming down (tbf ... I'm not too sure about the level of funding for Cove; assume they are "sugar daddy" funded somehow).  So that should put Airdrie and Queens in with a decent shout at being competitive next season.  Good summer recruitment is going to be key for both clubs I think.  Big summer/season ahead for both McCabe and Bartley.

That is the hope for me personally, as funny as it would be to see Falkirk to fail to get promoted i'd much rather them out the league and 2 of Accies/cove/arbroath down, would be the best time for the board to give the playing squad a backing and really mount a league challenge.

On 04/03/2023 at 10:55, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Frizzell and Rae’s injuries this season could get in the way of a potential move to a higher division, but there’s enough quality to warrant a good move. McCabe and Fordyce I’d expect to stay on as manager and assistant. Telfer has had some good performances but realistically hasn’t done enough to warrant a move to the Championship based on his time with us and Falkirk, although you never know. As has been mentioned, Gallagher is part time so we’re maybe the team that suits him best. The real worry for me would be Smith. Hard for me to see what keeps him at League One Airdrie and I think him going to Raith Rovers is quite likely (Murray and Fife being the main two factors). Will be sad to see him go as he’s probably been my favourite player of the last 5 years.

Of others not mentioned, I think McGill could potentially have a Championship offer. He done well last season but his season was interrupted with injuries. This year he’s improved in my opinion, and he’s still only 22. Euan Deveney has consistently improved over the season as well and is still very young. It’s possible that there’d be interest in him.

Would happily lose Euan tbf wouldn’t be a massive loss was terrible last week

Preview up for Kelty game tomorrow and Lachie with the player comments so looks like he's starting despite not being great last week. As I've previously alluded to, I'm happy for him to be given a run and we shouldn't really judge anyone after 1 game.

McCabe looks doubtful but Stanway fit so perhaps that could be the only change.

1 hour ago, AJ77 said:

That is the hope for me personally, as funny as it would be to see Falkirk to fail to get promoted i'd much rather them out the league and 2 of Accies/cove/arbroath down, would be the best time for the board to give the playing squad a backing and really mount a league challenge.

I'm thinking the top 4 or 5 clubs could be very closely matched next season - it has the makings of a very tight race.

5 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Preview up for Kelty game tomorrow and Lachie with the player comments so looks like he's starting despite not being great last week. As I've previously alluded to, I'm happy for him to be given a run and we shouldn't really judge anyone after 1 game.

Yeah i think we should give him a chance to form a partnership with fordyce until the end of the season because if he's able to put it all together with his physical attributes he could be really good for us. Also I'd rather 20 year old byrd make these mistakes than 28 year old Watson.

Gone for a home win but it's going to be tight 

Given that he brought in Byrd last week , it looks like he'll retain his place but I suspect Ballantyne might be benched for Watson and we might even play with two up top, if McCabe is unfit,  or am I just clutching at straws? Varying from optimism to acceptance that we're stuck in this league again. 

1 hour ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Gone for a home win but it's going to be tight 

Given that he brought in Byrd last week , it looks like he'll retain his place but I suspect Ballantyne might be benched for Watson and we might even play with two up top, if McCabe is unfit,  or am I just clutching at straws? Varying from optimism to acceptance that we're stuck in this league again. 

Airdrie to win and all the praise heaped upon the injured Manager in the dug out.

7 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Surely McMaster in for McCabe looked more up for it when he came on at QOS

7 minutes ago, CumbyDiamond said:

Surely McMaster in for McCabe looked more up for it when he came on at QOS

I'm not a fan of McMaster but putting that aside, Stanway seemed to be establishing himself in the side prior to missing last week through injury hence why I think he will get the nod.