The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

7 hours ago, AndyDD said:

Very true, both in the playoff semi during the covid season where we squeezed through, and most of last season, too, when Cove ended up worthy winners. I'm surprised it has been such a difficult transition for Cove when making the step up, but looks like losing Fyvie in particular has been huge, not to mention the summer loss of Milne. 

Selfishly I was hoping Accies wouldn't overcome Cove at this fairly late stage; I'd rather the team dropping into the playoffs had failed to finish 3rd bottom, rather than succeeded in escaping dead last. I think there's a significant psychological difference there. 

Must win for you now at the weekend, one imagines. Last chance saloon, d'you reckon?

Thanks, hopefully we can get what we need in the remaining fixtures to clinch a playoff, and then you just take your chances from there. 

I agree with that sentiment. 

Milne, Fyvie, Yule and even McKenzie all losses but the loan recalls completely turned the tables along with failed recruitment and being part time in the Championship loans and recruitment is everything. 

Definitely must win and then grind out a few more points at least to sneak playoffs.

Diamonds should make them. Peaking at a great time. Hopefully see you there and not in L1 next season but if that's case so be it

54 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Cannae be arsed googling it in case it contaminates my search history and Google starts putting (even more) irrelevant shit in my feed. So, who the f**k is Jana Kramer?

I went down this rabbit hole for you earlier, American country singer apparently. Seems to like American football players so big Allan will be like a MENSA upgrade for her.

2 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Maybe so, but I'll die on this hill until Janny carries Christina Aguilera onto stage at an award ceremony!

Copy of Lead image - circle on left.jpg.article-962.jpg

f**k sake she looks like more Dayna from the scheme in this photo lol.

Comfortable result in the end. Ballantyne deserving of the man of the match award but could easily have been ATS as well. Another for McGill and good to see McGregor get his first for us. No idea what the Montrose goalie was doing at the free kick - he was practically hugging the post. Frizz will never score an easier goal.

1 hour ago, David Fernández said:

How an earth can we not beat Edinburgh? A team that lost to Drumchapel United and Peterhead. How an earth did Josh Oyinsan score against them? This league makes absolutely zero sense.

Probably sums this league up that Edinburgh beat us 6-0, we beat Peterhead 7-0 and yet Edinburgh lost today. You get it at all levels of football but it feels like most teams in this league have another team that they beat or lose to every time for no obvious reason.

I’ve just seen that Edinburgh have taken 9 points from 12 games since the Jay Riley game, which makes that whole ordeal even more baffling. 

Edited by Mr November

Gabby McGill has to go down as one of the biggest unsung heroes of the last two seasons. I’m sure there was derision when he was resigned last year but his work rate and finishing are great for this level, and his height out on the right wing is a good outball. For me he’s a more important player than Callum Smith just now.

13 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Gabby McGill has to go down as one of the biggest unsung heroes of the last two seasons. I’m sure there was derision when he was resigned last year but his work rate and finishing are great for this level, and his height out on the right wing is a good outball. For me he’s a more important player than Callum Smith just now.

Agreed. I wasn’t sure how good a footballer he was last season, you could never doubt his commitment but I felt he lacked a bit of quality at times, particularly out wide.

Since coming back from injury in the Dundee game he’s been excellent this season and is one of a few players who have really improved this season. For him to now be one away from 15 goals this season is a fantastic record. It’s hard not to love a big, chaotic forward who puts in a shift and had a knack for scoring important goals. Gallagher aside, I reckon McGill’s been our best player this season. He seems like a lovely guy too who is really enjoying his time here, long may it continue.