The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

7 minutes ago, Passionate said:

.....Paterson is supposedly signing for Raith, training his week....    Luca Connell has just signed a 3 year deal with an English championship side (Barnsley I think)

Just seen that about Luca Connell just there, had no idea he went to Barnsley.

As others have said, today does make a lot of sense for new signings. I might be wrong but I feel like the club usually announce new signings with them at the stadium and today would be the first time for new players, manager and social media staff to all be at the club at the one time. If we don’t hear anything today I’ll be a bit concerned but I have faith that things are under control. Hopefully this mornings Diamonds at Heart email was just clearing the decks for an influx of news this afternoon!

38 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

Looking at QOS for instance, they have recruited really early, you can look at the positives and negatives from that. They have managed to get a few decent signings on like Reilly and Wilson, but at the same time signed Quitongo up early, they may miss out in some gems by recruiting too early and not having the budget to get in some really good loans too.

Also I think getting in really good players takes a bit more time compared to just signing anyone due to the player having lots of offers from other teams.

Yep, but you can argue this from both sides and there's pros and cons either way.  In the last few seasons QOS have left it till the last minute to fill the squad, no doubt hanging on hoping that they could sign players who had several offers to choose from.  Ultimately, this tended to leave us with some of the dross and hence why we are where we are this season coming.  Gibson signing up the players he wants early is a new and hopefully a refreshing departure for us - remains to be seen if it works.

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

Yep, but you can argue this from both sides and there's pros and cons either way.  In the last few seasons QOS have left it till the last minute to fill the squad, no doubt hanging on hoping that they could sign players who had several offers to choose from.  Ultimately, this tended to leave us with some of the dross and hence why we are where we are this season coming.  Gibson signing up the players he wants early is a new and hopefully a refreshing departure for us - remains to be seen if it works.

Like I said, there are positives and negatives of this. I'd say you's will be similar to ourselves this season and Kelty and Montrose. Will definitely be interesting as this is going to be Gibson's first full season in charge.

21 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

Like I said, there are positives and negatives of this. I'd say you's will be similar to ourselves this season and Kelty and Montrose. Will definitely be interesting as this is going to be Gibson's first full season in charge.

Agreed, most folk would have Falkirk/Dunfermline as the likely pair at the top and then Airdrie, Queens, Kelty and Montrose in the chasing pack.

It's clearly a risk for us giving Gibson his first full shot at management, but its the low risk/low cost way we do it - often promoting from within or signing a known quantity for a manager.  I think the BOD liked the way the team played in the final quarter last season when Gibson took over from Johnston - problem was the damage had already been done by then and Gibson was saddled with a poor squad for that level.  Mind you, even then we weren't all that far short of Dunfermline and Ayr in what was a poor league.

Also, I think Gibson's own form (which had been impressive) started to suffer when he took over the player/manager role - remains to be seen if he will continue to play this season - personally, I think its too much to ask to cover both roles.

7 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Agreed, most folk would have Falkirk/Dunfermline as the likely pair at the top and then Airdrie, Queens, Kelty and Montrose in the chasing pack.

It's clearly a risk for us giving Gibson his first full shot at management, but its the low risk/low cost way we do it - often promoting from within or signing a known quantity for a manager.  I think the BOD liked the way the team played in the final quarter last season when Gibson took over from Johnston - problem was the damage had already been done by then and Gibson was saddled with a poor squad for that level.  Mind you, even then we weren't all that far short of Dunfermline and Ayr in what was a poor league.

Also, I think Gibson's own form (which had been impressive) started to suffer when he took over the player/manager role - remains to be seen if he will continue to play this season - personally, I think its too much to ask to cover both roles.

He’s said he’ll only play if we have an injury or suspension

4 hours ago, David Fernández said:

There are still some really good players that haven't been signed up yet. I get the frustration about the lack of signings, and I've been more frustrated than anyone, but i think we can't just blow the budget and sign anyone whilst missing out on players that will improve the squad from last year.

Looking at QOS for instance, they have recruited really early, you can look at the positives and negatives from that. They have managed to get a few decent signings on like Reilly and Wilson, but at the same time signed Quitongo up early, they may miss out in some gems by recruiting too early and not having the budget to get in some really good loans too.

Also I think getting in really good players takes a bit more time compared to just signing anyone due to the player having lots of offers from other teams.

In terms of players that are available, id like to see us have a go at the likes of Peter Grant, Brody Paterson, Charlie Telfer, Luca Connell and Russell McLean.

All the players I feel would improve and build on a successful team from last season, let's hope we see that pen soon 📝

Queens still after at  least 4/5 players still room for a gem plus can top up with loans if and when need be .

Queens last pre season had about 40 odd trialists in we signed a few but  really only  because AJ had to get players in  not one was a success. . 

Would rather go down the WG route get the majority of the squad in  then try and add 4/5 players now 

22 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

I fear you may have been a victim of misdirection Ross. May I show you a magic trick? If you could hand me your wallet to start...

Just don't look at my PIN number written on the back of my card 

I wasn’t necessarily expecting anything today given it was the first day back and things would no doubt have been busy (would have been nice though!). I’m not worried yet as I very much trust that business has been done and by all accounts the club are happy with said business. If we don’t announce anything towards the end of next week though that would be a concern. 

6 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

I skipped to the end but no new signings (or club 1924 ties) unfortunately. 

To be fair I was inspired to renew my season ticket an hour ago by watching a sun,drenched state of the art Airdrie pitch,    rather that than renewing off the backdrop of signing the Clyde trio of Cuddihy, Splaine a n d Livingstone. 😦😦😷😷

32 minutes ago, Passionate said:

To be fair I was inspired to renew my season ticket an hour ago by watching a sun,drenched state of the art Airdrie pitch,    rather that than renewing off the backdrop of signing the Clyde trio of Cuddihy, Splaine a n d Livingstone. 😦😦😷😷

I’d like to think my £243 will be the difference maker in us signing big Robert Jones.