The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

17 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

I see a fella on the Facebook group confirming that there is a full squad training at broadwood this morning. Encouraging.

Seeing the pen tonight would be even more encouraging!

1 minute ago, Tory Boy said:

I see he mentions a couple of big lads in the squad. That's probably the one thing our team from last year lacked in a few games, was a bit of height.

Wonder if Russell McLean was one of them.

6 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Wonder if Russell McLean was one of them.

Decent scoring record but not really rated by Montrose or Peterhead fans and wouldn't expect him to be on trial as a fee is required to Peterhead.

11 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Decent scoring record but not really rated by Montrose or Peterhead fans and wouldn't expect him to be on trial as a fee is required to Peterhead.

Would 100% take him, proven goalscorer at this level and offers us something different up front, him, Gal, Smithy, Salim and Gabby McGill would get you goals.

13 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

1 minute ago, David Fernández said:

Would 100% take him, proven goalscorer at this level and offers us something different up front, him, Gal, Smithy, Salim and Gabby McGill would get you goals.

I know we were interested last year and since he's free to leave Peterhead i'm just assuming we might be in for him again. 

If Peterhead are desperate to get rid of him surely they'll let him leave on a free or a low fee. 

7 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

I know we were interested last year and since he's free to leave Peterhead i'm just assuming we might be in for him again. 

If Peterhead are desperate to get rid of him surely they'll let him leave on a free or a low fee. 

Don't know why Peterhead want rid of him but a fan of them told me he's a bit of a p***k!

2 hours ago, Tory Boy said:

I see he mentions a couple of big lads in the squad. That's probably the one thing our team from last year lacked in a few games, was a bit of height.

I remember McCabe said in the Advertiser that while he wants to replicate last season's style of football, he thought one of our biggest downfalls was not being able to adapt or change/mix things up if things weren't going our way. Our version of that was just chucking every forward player on, which admittedly had mixed success, and he wants to bring in players to address that. I would tend to agree with him. I don't think 'size' is necessarily the important thing (though it would definitely help at set pieces) but there were games where we needed to be more streetwise, take the sting out of a game/see it out better, pick up a booking or foul because it would have been the best thing to do etc. Cove, Montrose, Thistle and Queen's Park were all better at this than us and it ultimately showed when it mattered. You can be a good footballing side and a streetwise shithousing one and the best sides tend to combine those elements well. 

55 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

I remember McCabe said in the Advertiser that while he wants to replicate last season's style of football, he thought one of our biggest downfalls was not being able to adapt or change/mix things up if things weren't going our way. Our version of that was just chucking every forward player on, which admittedly had mixed success, and he wants to bring in players to address that. I would tend to agree with him. I don't think 'size' is necessarily the important thing (though it would definitely help at set pieces) but there were games where we needed to be more streetwise, take the sting out of a game/see it out better, pick up a booking or foul because it would have been the best thing to do etc. Cove, Montrose, Thistle and Queen's Park were all better at this than us and it ultimately showed when it mattered. You can be a good footballing side and a streetwise shithousing one and the best sides tend to combine those elements well. 

Aye, Walter Kidd was a good example good player and very street wise, 

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

Good points regarding size,not all important but I felt we did lack some physicality last year, I think it might be good looking at some wingers too, players that can come off the bench and make an impact on games too as we don't really have any natural wingers.

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

Hopefully a fit Salim can provide this as he will provide an aerial threat.

Someone can correct me if i'm wrong but i can only remember Josh Kerr scoring with a header from a corner last season.

3 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Hopefully a fit Salim can provide this as he will provide an aerial threat.

Someone can correct me if i'm wrong but i can only remember Josh Kerr scoring with a header from a corner last season.

I think you’re right. Also think we only scored 2 goals directly from corners last season. Kerr at Falkirk and McInroy at Montrose? 

On 20/06/2022 at 19:30, Tory Boy said:

There are definitely more people training than have been properly photographed.

Check the arm to the right of the Fordyce photo.

And whoever is photographed with the number 7 shorts in the McCabe picture.

FB_IMG_1655749512052.jpg

FB_IMG_1655749508974.jpg

Fernandy Mendy maybe the owner of the arm as a facebook poster claims he has signed.