Revisiting old albums

The_Judge

The Breeders - Pod

1990 release by the "supergroup" led by Kim Deal of The Pixies and Tanya Donnelly of Throwing Muses.

An excellent album. Lo-fi production and dark and often highly sexualized lyrics. A pretty intense album.

Audio Bullys - Ego War

A recently rediscovered fave from 2003.  A very solid, and well produced, electronic/dance/whatever album with amusingly bad, but sincere, lyrics and exceedingly phat* beats.

* I'm at least 20 years too old to be using such terminology but they really are!

One for any ageing hippies out there ...

Been compiling an "Americana" playlist and populating it with stuff from the likes of the late great Justin Townes Earle.  This got me trawling back through old vinyl LPs and I came across a long forgotten album "It'll Shine When It Shines" by the Ozark Mountain Daredevils.  It's hardly "banging" music but on revisiting I'd forgotten how good some of the music was - great laid back non-commercial southern country rock.  At the time (mid 70s) I hadn't picked up on how much religious influence there was in the lyrics, but I guess you'd have to expect that for music emanating from America's "bible belt".

Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique

I'm not the biggest fan of the Beasties, but this good. Easily their best work. Much better than that Fight For You Right To Party pish that they slavered over us a few years earlier.

This album still sounds fresh. It's hard to believe that it's 33 years old. Heck, there are adults out there today with kids and mortgages who hadn't even been conceived when this album was released.

17 minutes ago, Paul Kersey said:

Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique

I'm not the biggest fan of the Beasties, but this good. Easily their best work. Much better than that Fight For You Right To Party pish that they slavered over us a few years earlier.

This album still sounds fresh. It's hard to believe that it's 33 years old. Heck, there are adults out there today with kids and mortgages who hadn't even been conceived when this album was released.

It's a shame that most people associate the Beastie Boys with Fight For Your Right To Party. Their albums that came after Licensed To Ill - Paul's Boutique and Check Your Head were much better.

Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible

This album was released 28 years ago on the 30th of August 1994. As you can probably guess by my username, I am a massive fan of this band. This was the last album they released before the disappearance (and likely death) of Richey Edwards. - who wrote most of the lyrics on this very dark album. This album is a work of absolute genius and I would rank it as their best album alongside Everything Must Go. 

On 16/08/2022 at 20:47, Paul Kersey said:

Scars - Author Author

An excellent album by a largely forgotten Edinburgh band. 

Dark lyrics and some great guitar work. An early 80s post-punk classic.

It is a brilliant album, I was too young to appreciate it at the time, though my older brother liked them and saw them in Edinburgh a number of times.

I got the expanded 3 CD release that came out over a year ago, with demos and bits of some live shows, which are understandably not amazing quality but a fascinating snapshot.

‘Your Attention Please’ remains a stunning track, though I appreciate the lyrics are not the bands.

6 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible

This album was released 28 years ago on the 30th of August 1994. As you can probably guess by my username, I am a massive fan of this band. This was the last album they released before the disappearance (and likely death) of Richey Edwards. - who wrote most of the lyrics on this very dark album. This album is a work of absolute genius and I would rank it as their best album alongside Everything Must Go. 

The Manics we're one of those band I liked during my teens without ever really getting into them.  I read a gushing review of The Holy Bible about 10 years ago and thought I'd give it a bash. 

f**k me, I've never felt so utterly shite after listening to an album, like actually dirty.

I sat for a while afterwards thinking about it, not really sure if I should listen to it again or set my phone on fire.  Because I thought that despite feeling awful, I think I kind of liked it.

A few more listens and I realised that it is indeed an absolute work of genius.

Edited by the aggressive beggar

On 02/09/2022 at 18:09, Cowdenleith said:

It is a brilliant album, I was too young to appreciate it at the time, though my older brother liked them and saw them in Edinburgh a number of times.

I got the expanded 3 CD release that came out over a year ago, with demos and bits of some live shows, which are understandably not amazing quality but a fascinating snapshot.

‘Your Attention Please’ remains a stunning track, though I appreciate the lyrics are not the bands.

I used to work with someone who was at that George Square theatre gig, and was still raving about it almost twenty years later. They were slightly before my gig going time too, sadly.

On 29/08/2022 at 18:26, Richey Edwards said:

It's a shame that most people associate the Beastie Boys with Fight For Your Right To Party. Their albums that came after Licensed To Ill - Paul's Boutique and Check Your Head were much better.

Agree, but they wouldn't have got the budget to f**k about in the studio as much as they wanted without having had the big hits first. 

5 hours ago, coprolite said:

Agree, but they wouldn't have got the budget to f**k about in the studio as much as they wanted without having had the big hits first. 

True. If they hadn't made a daft hit single that became so successful then the rest of their career doesn't happen.

Their first album, while good, borrowed heavily from other acts such as Run DMC. Paul's Boutique is were they started showing what they were really capable of.

They were very talented and have such a diverse discography. I wish I had got to see them live.

23 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

True. If they hadn't made a daft hit single that became so successful then the rest of their career doesn't happen.

Their first album, while good, borrowed heavily from other acts such as Run DMC. Paul's Boutique is were they started showing what they were really capable of.

They were very talented and have such a diverse discography. I wish I had got to see them live.

Here's the set i was lucky enough to see. Some show. 

I might be wrong here, but I get the impression that the Beastie Boys are much better remembered for the Ill Communication period than Licenced to Ill. I don't remember the last time I heard Fight for Your Right. Incidentally, I know everyone probably already knows this, but Kerry King of Slayer playing on that album was the original reason I leant them an ear  :P

I remember Paul's Boutique reviewing really badly on release, so I was really surprised when there was a popular clothes label of the same name; funny how opinions change over time. Must be the Pet Sounds of hip-hop.

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

I only saw them live once, at TITP 1998. It should have been a good set, but I was knee deep in mud, soaked to the bone and freezing cold so I didn't really enjoy it as much as I should have. 

26 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I might be wrong here, but I get the impression that the Beastie Boys are much better remembered for the Ill Communication period than Licenced to Ill. I don't remember the last time I heard Fight for Your Right. Incidentally, I know everyone probably already knows this, but Kerry King of Slayer playing on that album was the original reason I leant them an ear  :P

I remember Paul's Boutique reviewing really badly on release, so I was really surprised when there was a popular clothes label of the same name; funny how opinions change over time. Must be the Pet Sounds of hip-hop.

This made me revisit “Fight for your right” and it’s still  an awesome way to spend three and a half minutes 

kick it!

7 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

This made me revisit “Fight for your right” and it’s still  an awesome way to spend three and a half minutes 

kick it!

The dangers of writing a song as a pisstake  :P

I dug out a couple of classic reggae albums this afternoon...

Steel Pulse - Handsworth Revolution.

1978 album by the brummie reggae act. Fecking excellent. 

The Congos - The Heart of the Congos.

Lee "Scratch" Perry produced this dub reggae classic. Some of the sweetest sounds ever. 

Both of these albums are a solid 10 out of 10.

Edited by Paul Kersey

• 5 months later...