Euro 2020 Play-offs

charger29

Our semi will be at home, but there's still an outside chance of Serbia or Norway qualifying, in which case we'd potentially be able to play one of those other sides in the final.
If that happened I'd be a lot happier.
Norway feels a bit doable but fuckupable too
Serbia just has 'tanking' written all over it

Serbia keep their chances alive with a 3-2 home win over Luxembourg. They now need Luxembourg to take something off Portugal.

The fact that they only beat Luxembourg 3-2 at home, off the back of a 5-0 loss to Ukraine earlier in the campaign, suggests they're maybe not at the levels they have been in the past.

11 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Serbia keep their chances alive with a 3-2 home win over Luxembourg. They now need Luxembourg to take something off Portugal.

The fact that they only beat Luxembourg 3-2 at home, off the back of a 5-0 loss to Ukraine earlier in the campaign, suggests they're maybe not at the levels they have been in the past.

Ronaldo's chasing another million goals, I'm not expecting much.  I expect Serbia are playoff-bound.  

In true Scotland style, Serbia probably aren't the team they once were.  We worry about them, and the tanking we could get in Belgrade, yet Norway will probably put them out in the semi, and then batter through us in Oslo.  The equivalent of worrying about whether Ireland could pip us, and losing to Georgia.

20 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I think we could absolutely win away against Bulgaria or Israel. We wouldn't be favourites to do so, but we wouldn't be complete write-offs either. Bulgaria haven't won a single game in qualifying, and Israel have drawn at home to Macedonia and Slovenia. Scotland's performance away in Israel was about as abject an away performance as I've seen (at least until we were even worse in Kazakhstan), and yet they only scraped a 2-1 win.

Additionally, I'd say we'd have some chance in Norway purely because the climate there is quite similar to ours and it wouldn't be the sort of raucous atmosphere we'd get in Southern Europe. They're absolutely a better team than us based on qualifying, but we'd have a slim chance.

They didn't.

But for a standout Allan McGregor and a post it would have been 7 or 8-1. That's how abject we were that night.

16 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I've always like the whole calculation of possible scenarios thing, but this competition The relentlessly demoralising reality off being a Scotland supporter has utterly broken me.

Feel the same mate :(

They didn't.
But for a standout Allan McGregor and a post it would have been 7 or 8-1. That's how abject we were that night.
A goalkeeper is part of a football team - ifs and buts are irrelevant to the point that they only narrowly beat us. If we play them again and they batter us but Marshall wins us the game then nobody will be taking the qualification away from us.

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:
53 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:
They didn't.

A goalkeeper is part of a football team - ifs and buts are irrelevant to the point that they only narrowly beat us. If we play them again and they batter us but Marshall wins us the game then nobody will be taking the qualification away from us.

I'd take that as would any Scotland fan, Craig.

And yes while the final scoreline in Haifa may have been narrow, in my view Israel won the game comfortably due to our abject performance and tactics.

Weren't Israel fucking rank rotten at Hampden as well?  I mean, we need REAL hard work of it in the end, but I seem to remember struggling to draw parallels between the side that absolutely rinsed us away and that team.

But as Craig says, it doesn't matter how it happens as long as it happens.  I'm happy for Marshall to make 400 saves, them to hit the bar 12 times, then a goal for us from a clear handball.  If we're at Euro 2020 and some are still "Aye, but..." then get them in the fucking sea.

On 15/11/2019 at 00:17, craigkillie said:

Our semi will be at home, but there's still an outside chance of Serbia or Norway qualifying, in which case we'd potentially be able to play one of those other sides in the final.

I think the reason he asked is because his initial question was us being drawn away and you responded talking about playing away to Bulgaria/Israel which isn’t possible as we know the semi will be at home, so is a bit of a moot point.

9 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Div has a long history of quoting the wrong price and then claiming it's why nobody turned up.

Indeed, he’s had a few ‘mares in the past with this.

Does he not still regularly moan about prices Dumbarton charged St Mirren about 5 years ago, despite being told lower price tickets were available earlier?