The cost of drinking in pubs

24 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

It's been said many times before on here that drinking pints of lager with nothing but one's own company, in a quiet jakie pub, is one of the greatest pleasures in life. 

Big fan of solo pints with a newspaper. 

19 minutes ago, throbber said:

I used to always stop in at pubs when I had a few minutes to spare when I lived out with Glasgow/Edinburgh and was down visiting for the weekend. Since I’ve lived in Edinburgh I hardly ever do it now, couldn’t tell you the last time I stopped in at a pub just for the sake of doing it which is a real shame. Must try harder.

I know the pubs around your area are a bit “stabby” so I don’t blame you for not heading out, and sometimes making the effort to into town is a pain in the arse. 

Im sure you’ll be out more once you move to a more prosperous area. 

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A good few years back I used to work a three day week then after week three  I'd then get a week off before the next shift begun. I used to meet a guy in Tickety Boo's when I'd nip in for a pint and a read of the paper who would sink 2/3 pint with me and have a talk. He always had an 'offshore' bag complete with the wee card they carry in it in the wee window (?) thing. 

I always just assumed our shifts met and he was just getting home. 

Turned out he's never worked offshore, just told everybody he did and he's a massive jakey.

It's they moments you treasure in life. 

I don’t know how old you are but you are making incredibly rash statements, people drink in the house all the time regardless of if they are strange or have friends or not. I have lots of friends that I could meet up with for a bee if I wanted, I also like drinking beer in the comfort of my own sitting room and not being hassled by anyone. The latter tends to be the most rational option when I have a one year old to look after as well.

You probably shouldn't drink when looking after your 1 year old you monster.

1 hour ago, kev23 said:

People who drink at home are not #DECE.

But seriously if you get wound up about paying £10 for 4 pints in a pub and instead have 4 tins on the couch to save yourself a fiver, you're either strange or have no friends.

I want to know where these £10 rounds are (apart from the Port).

I too am a fan of a pint or two with a newspaper in a quiet local pub.

I know the pubs around your area are a bit “stabby” so I don’t blame you for not heading out, and sometimes making the effort to into town is a pain in the arse. 
Im sure you’ll be out more once you move to a more prosperous area. 

It’s the novelty of it that wears off, I used to stop in all sorts of dodgey pubs around leith including the Central and the Harp and Castle when I was visiting but I can’t be bothered going into them nowadays as they are local to me and I go past them all the time.

Guest bernardblack
This a million times.
Used to think having a pint alone was loser/loner/jakie material when I was younger.
Now I appreciate a nice quiet pint.

Couple of pints in the boozer on the way home from work is heaven.

1 hour ago, throbber said:

I don’t know how old you are but you are making incredibly rash statements, people drink in the house all the time regardless of if they are strange or have friends or not. I have lots of friends that I could meet up with for a bee if I wanted, I also like drinking beer in the comfort of my own sitting room and not being hassled by anyone. The latter tends to be the most rational option when I have a one year old to look after as well.

Nothing wrong with having a few beers in the house, especially on a Saturday night. It certainly beats going out and getting constantly pestered by the arseholes, who come out their shell with a few pints or worse still, need powder up their noses

2 hours ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

Big fan of solo pints with a newspaper. 

Agree with this 100%. 

Stick a couple of horses on, grab a newspaper and head to the quiet corner of a pub to drink pints of Tennent's lager.  It's as close to heaven as I'll ever experience.

1 hour ago, MONKMAN said:

Agree with this 100%. 

Stick a couple of horses on, grab a newspaper and head to the quiet corner of a pub to drink pints of Tennent's lager.  It's as close to heaven as I'll ever experience.

After reading this inspiring post I'm going to try to stop domestic liver destruction. Afternoon drinking in pubs is the healthy option.

It's been said many times before on here that drinking pints of lager with nothing but one's own company, in a quiet jakie pub, is one of the greatest pleasures in life. 

This. One of the real beauties of working away from home occasionally, a quiet teatime pint with the evening paper. And yep, not a busy bar, just a quiet dusty old boozer, to while away an hour, just smashing.

4 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

Have you ever seen anyone playing darts in The Barrel?

3 minutes ago, Zen Archer said:

Have you ever seen anyone playing darts in The Barrel?

Never. Come to think of it, I’ve been in that pub literally hundreds of times in my life and can’t ever recall seeing a dart board. Considering the pub’s about the size of my living room, that’s quite an achievement.

I’m assuming it would be over in the corner next to the juke box somewhere?

I'm actually confused thinking about this.

1 minute ago, MONKMAN said:

Never. Come to think of it, I’ve been in that pub literally hundreds of times in my life and can’t ever recall seeing a dart board. Considering the pub’s about the size of my living room, that’s quite an achievement.

I’m assuming it would be over in the corner next to the juke box somewhere?

I'm actually confused thinking about this.

I'm sure it's in a ridiculous place that would entail emptying half the pub in the process.

I'm sure it's in a ridiculous place that would entail emptying half the pub in the process.

Over in that corner with the fruit machine and jukebox is the only place one could possible be, but I can’t actually think where. Saying that, is there even enough space for an oche? I’ll be in next week at some point when I get home, so I’ll investigate. As you say, a game of darts would take up about half the floor space in the pub.

On the other hand, I don’t think I’ve ever been in that pub, regardless of the time, and there’s not at least one game of Dominoes on the go.

A good few years back I used to work a three day week then after week three  I'd then get a week off before the next shift begun. I used to meet a guy in Tickety Boo's when I'd nip in for a pint and a read of the paper who would sink 2/3 pint with me and have a talk. He always had an 'offshore' bag complete with the wee card they carry in it in the wee window (?) thing. 
I always just assumed our shifts met and he was just getting home. 
Turned out he's never worked offshore, just told everybody he did and he's a massive jakey.
It's they moments you treasure in life. 

Inspirational stuff.

The place I lived before moving here had 7 pubs in it. Now there is only 3. And they are clubs rather than pubs. Labor club, Bowling club, and Miners club. 

It costs around $5 ( Around £3 ) for a schooner (425 ml) of beer here.

Archived