It's getting hot in here!

31 minutes ago, 101 said:

Especially when there are more friendly alternatives.

Problem is, they're mostly shite. 

32 minutes ago, 101 said:

Is it standard practice that concrete is made in part from the waste from power stations?

Not standard practice but yes, amongst many other things including risk husk ash, coffee grounds (Shandon could probably build his house with this and lick the walls all day) and waste nappy fibres.

7 minutes ago, virginton said:

That article is behind a subscriber wall but the idea that The Netherlands is a role model for both sustainable farming and the rewilding fetish that the Green lobby are also pursuing is laughable to anyone who has actually been there. 

We could indeed increase productivity of land by using lots of pesticides or simply scrapping the completely irrational ban on GM crop technology, but you won't find the (mainstream) Green movement backing either of those.

The people who end up having to pay for all these utterly stupid gesture politics are the poor in society with massively increased food insecurity. Which has never been a problem for the Malthusians, nor indeed the middle classes jumping on the Green bandwagon. 

Ah sorry didn't realise.

Yes I agree GM crops have to be looked at tbh I wouldn't have an issue with it at all. Pesticides I don't agree with unless absolutely necessary due to other impacts.

I also think artificially grown meat has to be the key to unlocking supply to satisfy demand for meat as although nobel I'm not sure the farms trying to rear carbon neutral beef are scalable.

And yes food security has to come first.

Standard, mutually contradictory gesture politics from the neo-Malthusian Green lobby. 

No it’s not. We need rewilding. Scotland alone has under 5% native tree cover. We live in a society that continues to demonise and refuse to live alongside wildlife. If we want to reduce CO2 emissions we must create new habitats and enhance the ones we already have. Boosting our dismal levels of biodiversity goes hand in hand with tackling CO2 emissions.

10 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

No it’s not. We need rewilding. Scotland alone has under 5% native tree cover. We live in a society that continues to demonise and refuse to live alongside wildlife. If we want to reduce CO2 emissions we must create new habitats and enhance the ones we already have. Boosting our dismal levels of biodiversity goes hand in hand with tackling CO2 emissions.

It doesn't go hand in hand with 'reducing our dependency on food imports'. Unless you plan on starving the poor which your additional policy of rewilding arable land merely confirms. 

There is also a substantial difference between rationally increasing forestry and other carbon sink land uses and consciously 'rewilding' them with random, eliminated animal species just because you think it'd be cool to have them. You can have the former without the latter and it would be both easier and cheaper to reduce CO2 emissions by doing so. But once again, someone else will be expected to pay the tab for what is in fact just another middle class vanity project. 

Edited by vikingTON

13 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

If we rewild Scotland, bring the dinosaurs back.

Wouldn't mind a mosasaur roaming the Clyde.

On 08/08/2021 at 12:18, 101 said:

Excuse the ER tweet, but this shit can't be good for the environment.

Why do we keep just piling up our rubbish and waiting, completely nonsensical.

The amount of rubbish nowadays is unreal, everything seems to be throwaway within a year or 2

6 minutes ago, BigDoddyKane said:

The amount of rubbish nowadays is unreal, everything seems to be throwaway within a year or 2

The scumbaggery that is 'planned obsolescense' has to be part of this, but (as much as it pains me to give them credit) at least the UK government is trying to do something about it.

https://www.circularonline.co.uk/news/uk-government-to-tackle-planned-obsolescence-with-tough-new-rules/

On 08/08/2021 at 10:18, 101 said:

Excuse the ER tweet, but this shit can't be good for the environment.

Why do we keep just piling up our rubbish and waiting, completely nonsensical.

I'd ban plastic in Christmas and Halloween decorations. All the pound shop shit that breaks in a second and gets binned.

I'd also be asking why things like bottled water and toilet rolls for instance need to be imported thousands of miles.

There were pallets of bottled and boxed whiskey in my job that was produced and barrelled in Cork, shipped to China to be bottled and put in a velvety gift box and then sent back. 

On the other hand humans are just a scourge and could do with a good firey ending.  Just unfortunate that there will be plenty muricans in their shelters to start it all over again.

1 minute ago, 101 said:

Simpsons Thats The Joke GIF

Yeah, bit slow on the uptake there. The one in Wales was probably 2 or 3 hundred years old and was originally for grinding flour. They got someone in to see if it was worth converting for generating electricity, and it wasn't. It's disappointing how little you get from a smallish water wheel, you'd think it would be much more with thousands of tons of water flowing through every minute (guess).

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Yeah, bit slow on the uptake there. The one in Wales was probably 2 or 3 hundred years old and was originally for grinding flour. They got someone in to see if it was worth converting for generating electricity, and it wasn't. It's disappointing how little you get from a smallish water wheel, you'd think it would be much more with thousands of tons of water flowing through every minute (guess).

That's a shame that it wasn't worth converting hopefully it's well looked after, but I think the ancient Greeks invented them so they are about 1500 years behind the cutting edge.

I still genuinely think that nothing will seriously change until carbon capture and storage technology is researched thoroughly enough that it becomes economically viable to do so on a global scale. This will only happen when those at the top deem it necessary and like the recent example of concentrated vaccination research, it will be 100% full steam ahead. Unfortunately you or I using a bag for life or changing to electric cars, whilst commendable, is not going to have any effect whatsoever on our planet without the full backing of those making the decisions at the top.

I definitely don't think this is the beginning of the end for humanity as a whole, I don't think we're all going to die in a fiery hell mix of burning grasslands, rising floodtides and smog filled air. It is going to be painful to get there and may not even happen in any of our lifetimes, but the pace of advancement in technology eventually will trump everything and we will start to see the healing process happening in the times when these doomsday scenarios are currently being predicted for.

Like anything that eventually becomes part of our daily lives or routine, it will follow the 'S' shaped pattern. Everything does...from Indoor plumbing, televisions, car usage, to the advent of the internet or even mobile phones in the mid to late 90s - only a relatively select few will be on board at first be it through financial means, general disinterest, or something being seen as niche....you'll then go through a huge period of growth as interest coupled with advances in technology increase before levelling off at the top with almost everyone on board.

Climate change technology and the advances in these, will be that next thing. We're still at the very bottom of that S for now.

9 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I still genuinely think that nothing will seriously change until carbon capture and storage technology is researched thoroughly enough that it becomes economically viable to do so on a global scale. This will only happen when those at the top deem it necessary and like the recent example of concentrated vaccination research, it will be 100% full steam ahead. Unfortunately you or I using a bag for life or changing to electric cars, whilst commendable, is not going to have any effect whatsoever on our planet without the full backing of those making the decisions at the top.

I definitely don't think this is the beginning of the end for humanity as a whole, I don't think we're all going to die in a fiery hell mix of burning grasslands, rising floodtides and smog filled air. It is going to be painful to get there and may not even happen in any of our lifetimes, but the pace of advancement in technology eventually will trump everything and we will start to see the healing process happening in the times when these doomsday 

Aye and maybe you will end up living in a mansion on the moon with Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos.....