English Premier League 2019-20

Big gamble for both Arsenal and for Arteta - I can see this season almost being a write off and some big players leaving (Aubameyang will be off I'm sure, probably Özil if they can find someone to take on his wages, maybe Lacazette, Bellerin and another one or two) to try and fund a bit of a rebuild.

Only a £1 million compensation apparently. Another cheap option for Arsenal. They couldn't afford Ancelotti.
ETA - interesting interview with Unai Emery on his time at The Emirates - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50865120. He backs Arteta's appointment.

I think Arteta is a better appointment for Arsenal at this point in many ways.
Big gamble for both Arsenal and for Arteta - I can see this season almost being a write off and some big players leaving (Aubameyang will be off I'm sure, probably Özil if they can find someone to take on his wages, maybe Lacazette, Bellerin and another one or two) to try and fund a bit of a rebuild.

Another rebuild so that the fifth best squad can finish fifth again?

Only a £1 million compensation apparently. Another cheap option for Arsenal. They couldn't afford Ancelotti.

ETA - interesting interview with Unai Emery on his time at The Emirates - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50865120. He backs Arteta's appointment.

The relatively small amount of compensation has to be one of the main reasons for his appointment. The fact he was such a good player for them will get him a bit of goodwill, but he will be under pressure right away to get them winning and back up into at least a Europa league spot.

The squad needs gutting. Ozil and Xhaka would be first out the door for me, and he needs 2 centre backs and 2 midfielders right away. A lot will depend on how much money he gets to spend in January.

Getting rid of those four might be a start in raising funds for a rebuild, but they best have plenty other funds available because if Aubameyang and Lacazette go they will literally need an entire new team.

Getting rid of those four might be a start in raising funds for a rebuild, but they best have plenty other funds available because if Aubameyang and Lacazette go they will literally need an entire new team.

The squad needs gutting. Ozil and Xhaka would be first out the door for me, and he needs 2 centre backs and 2 midfielders right away. A lot will depend on how much money he gets to spend in January.  

They need an entire new squad. If I were Arteta or even just an Arsenal fan, I’m not sure there’s a solitary player I’d be desperate to hang on to. Aubameyang and Ozil are the obvious big names but are 30 & 31 respectively so if someone’s willing to pay silly money and get their big bucks off the wage bill then for me it’s a no-brainer: Cheerio.

Bellerin might come good again but I have my doubts given his injury history, so again, if there’s a willing buyer I’d be saying cheerio to him as well. Which really only leaves Arsenal with Lacazette and a past-his-best David Luiz who are capable performers on a good day.

Arsenal are an absolute shambles of a club. Fair-fux to Arteta for taking on that mess.

They need an entire new squad. If I were Arteta or even just an Arsenal fan, I’m not sure there’s a solitary player I’d be desperate to hang on to. Aubameyang and Ozil are the obvious big names but are 30 & 31 respectively so if someone’s willing to pay silly money and get their big bucks off the wage bill then for me it’s a no-brainer: Cheerio.

Bellerin might come good again but I have my doubts given his injury history, so again, if there’s a willing buyer I’d be saying cheerio to him as well. Which really only leaves Arsenal with Lacazette and a past-his-best David Luiz who are capable performers on a good day.

Arsenal are an absolute shambles of a club. Fair-fux to Arteta for taking on that mess.
It's certainly not a squad than can be fixed in one transfer window with a couple of signings. There's hardly anyone at Arsenal who would be a first choice at any of the other top 5 or 6 teams.

43 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
53 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

It's certainly not a squad than can be fixed in one transfer window with a couple of signings. There's hardly anyone at Arsenal who would be a first choice at any of the other top 5 or 6 teams.

I doubt it can be fixed until a lot of contracts have ran out, its not a case of them selling off the family silver to fund a rebuild, its the utter shite that's hoovering up the best part of a million quid a week in wages if not more

Im sure arsenal have a wage structure that if you are a first team squad member you automatically get x amount of wages, no matter how good, young, contract length etc

Arsenal have a good selection of attacking and flair players but no spine.  If they are going to finish any higher than 5th or 6th they need at least one midfield battler/defensive midfielder and at least two centre backs.  Wenger, Emery, Arteta, it doesn't matter who is in the managers seat if they don't have a proper squad capable of competing

I don't know about everyone else, but I know I probably still have an inflated view of how good Arsenal should be. People of a certain generation immediately associate Arsenal with the late 90s/early 00s team and the invincibles. However, that is now 16 years since they last won the title, challenging for a title shouldn't even be in the conversation for them for at least another few years. Getting back to being a regular Champions League club should be the aim.

If they are ever going to get back to even challenging for titles it is going to take a few years of excellent recruitment and management, similar to Klopp with Liverpool. It does seem a strange move to put so much faith in a guy to do that job who has never managed before. But then this is football, where having kicked a ball for a club a few years previous and 'knowing the club' (whatever that means) always seems to count for more than actually having any evidence that you are a competent football manager. There is not a chance Arsenal would have appointed an assistant from Man City if he hadn't kicked a ball around for them a few years previous, which makes you wonder what criteria the club actually used.

He may turn out fine, if he is given time, money and realistic expectations. The likelihood of any of that is pretty slim though.

1 hour ago, senorsoupe said:

Arsenal have a good selection of attacking and flair players but no spine.  If they are going to finish any higher than 5th or 6th they need at least one midfield battler/defensive midfielder and at least two centre backs.  Wenger, Emery, Arteta, it doesn't matter who is in the managers seat if they don't have a proper squad capable of competing

Torreira looked good when he arrived but Emery then froze him out. Guendouzi could improve under a better coach. Arsenal have six senior CBs but they are all duds who were signed cheaply. Luiz is still the slow and casual joke that he was at Chelsea.  

The academy has produced a lot of mediocre under-achievers who struggle against decent teams. Martinelli and Saka have potential but Pepe has struggled to justify even half his crazy fee. Ramsay must be laughing that his new deal offer was withdrawn. 

19 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Torreira looked good when he arrived but Emery then froze him out. Guendouzi could improve under a better coach. Arsenal have six senior CBs but they are all duds who were signed cheaply. Luiz is still the slow and casual joke that he was at Chelsea.  

The academy has produced a lot of mediocre under-achievers who struggle against decent teams. Martinelli and Saka have potential but Pepe has struggled to justify even half his crazy fee. Ramsay must be laughing that his new deal offer was withdrawn. 

Guendouzi needs a seasoned pro in a similar role to learn from, trying to rely on a 20 year old to fill a role normally filled by more experienced heads is not going to work.  A guy like Blaise Matuidi (who is out of contract this summer) would be perfect for that role, someone who could come in and be the general in the midfield for a couple of years and serve as a mentor to Guendouzi.