English Premier League 2019-20

2 hours ago, Dele said:

Gonna be a bit embarassing if we f**k this up but I'm happy with the outcome even though, whisper it, I feel that Liverpool have actually been treated unfairly in this instance. 

Xhaka has been stripped of the Arsenal captaincy, that was only a matter of time and his refusal to comment or apologise after his antics last week!!!

12 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Gonna be a bit embarassing if we f**k this up but I'm happy with the outcome even though, whisper it, I feel that Liverpool have actually been treated unfairly in this instance. 

Liverpool were seemingly told at the start of the season this was a potential outcome due to the CWC involvement. This should really show the authorities that theres simply far too many different competitions and games these days, Liverpool are in 5 separate cups and have International weekends to deal with.

Also, Lampard will fail at Chelsea. A wee bounce, which hasnt even been that impressive, in his first few months in charge, with a team selection that's not been sussed out yet, doesnt change that. They were carried by Jorginho and Kovacic against Watford. Let's see how they cope when he starts believing his own hype and drops those two to try and wedge a full team of young English players in.

There aren't any more competitions now than then were when Liverpool, Man U and Chelsea all took part in that competition in its current format with no problems. 

The issue is that the Premier League have, without ever asking the fans if they want it, decided to impose a break on the league and moved the League Cup Quarter-Finals forward as a response. 

Well said... an impressive amount of total nonsense has been rolled-out about the situation. Indeed if you back go to early EPL days there were 42 league games; later 2 groupstages in CL. Further back into 1980s and before, there were 2-legged ties in League Cup early rounds (and replays)... plus top-tier sides joined it a round earlier... endless replays in FA Cup... and so on; there were fewer full internationals in those days but there were a couple of interleague games. Sammy Lee played 74 competitive games back in 1983-84.

It's obviously uncommon for anyone to become European champions and need to head to CWC - and that tournament as we now know it may be getting abolished after next year anyway.

Only additional game Liverpool have to play versus ye olden times is that Club World Cup has SFs and Final or 3rd/4th, whereas Intercontinenal Cup was a straight Final (although before that it was over 2 legs as well). Even in recent years other English clubs have played in CWC without any real issue. It's eminently doable.

Klopp is a bit like a spider caught in his own web over the issue. He wanted a winter break, and there now is a sort of shambolic diet version in mid-February; he doesn't want EPL reduced to 18 clubs; he doesn't want come across as johnny foreigner by talking down FA Cup; he doesn't want League Cup abolished, or Liverpool to scratch from playing in it. Simultaneously he says "something must be done". What?

EDIT: Indeed having played in Community Shield, European Supercup and Club World Cup - even if Liverpool go on to reach FA Cup Final, League Cup Final and CL Final this season they'll play 67 games.

That's not exceptional and indeed 1 fewer than Rangers (who also had half-a-dozen postponed and cancelled) in 2007-08.

Edited by HibeeJibee

39 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

God loves a trier but surely with the amount of goals they ship Norwich are going back down this season.  They are entertaining to watch but I can't see them surviving with this defence

They aren't even scoring any more either. 2 goals in their last 5 and in 5 out of their last 8 they haven't scored. That squad is paper thin and they only spent £700k improving it.

47 minutes ago, TavTastic said:

They aren't even scoring any more either. 2 goals in their last 5 and in 5 out of their last 8 they haven't scored. That squad is paper thin and they only spent £700k improving it.

Aye, this. Pukki party seems to be over, unfortunately for them.

Combine that with a shite defence and they'll definitely be heading straight back down. 

14 minutes ago, Ocular Patdown Required said:

Aye, this. Pukki party seems to be over, unfortunately for them.

Combine that with a shite defence and they'll definitely be heading straight back down. 

They tried to be too cute and philosophical when they came up. Thought they were too smart to spend money. I mean Pukki's back-up is Drmic - a perma-crock on a free transfer.

Edited by TavTastic

26 minutes ago, Dele said:

Emery saying he doesn't know if Xhaka will appear for the club again. 

Its gone on too long now and if he did appear he'd be hounded every single touch. Looks like a loan move in January on the cards.

Steve Bruce saying he'd be interested in a loan move for him to Newcastle

34 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

On a freezing cold day, here are two tweets to warm the cockles of anyone with a dislike of Everton Football Club:

God's sake. Maybe I should have seen that stat before backing Everton!

If Chelsea and Leicester win today that's your top 4 done I reckon.