Cove Thread

Scott Ross confirmed as signed for us, was always a decent player just his temprement a bit suspect, hopefully he has sorted that out. Think it was a couple years ago when Cove scored against us at Balmoor he ran down the touchline being very disrespectful to us which may be hard to forgive he will have to regain our respect by doing it on the park.

1 minute ago, peternapper said:

Scott Ross confirmed as signed for us, was always a decent player just his temprement a bit suspect, hopefully he has sorted that out. Think it was a couple years ago when Cove scored against us at Balmoor he ran down the touchline being very disrespectful to us which may be hard to forgive he will have to regain our respect by doing it on the park.

Scott Ross I really think we should have kept. He's still got pace, aggressive in the challenge and will be a great partner for Strachan at CB. 

Was one of our first choice defenders this year. Will stroll L2

37 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Squad update:

https://coverangersfc.com/2023/05/15/crfc-squad-update/

Players under contract for season 2023/24 (10)

* Age of player at start of season. Imperative that new recruits are young...

Scott Fox (36)

Fraser Fyvie (31)

Shay Logan (36)

Mitch Megginson (30)

Jason Naismith (30)

Morgyn Neill (26)

Mark Reynolds (35)

Connor Scully (30)

Iain Vigurs (34)

Blair Yule (30)

Players out of contract who have been offered new deals (2)

Balint Demus

Luis Longstaff

Players out of contract who will be leaving the club (7)

Cieran Dunne

Kyle Gourlay

Robbie Leitch

Leighton McIntosh

Scott Ross

Gime Toure

Miko Virtanen

Loan players returning to their parent clubs (6)

David Bangala

Declan Glass

Jackson Longridge

Michael O’Halloran

Brody Paterson

Tony Weston

So for me only Reynolds and Fyvie were given and have accepted new contracts. No details as to how long they extended for. 

Dunne, Ross and Leighton I would have kept (maybe). None exceptional for L1 but we need to be confident to find better. Realistically we need to find better to mount a serious title challenge. 

Fox, Naismith I hope never play for us. Vigurs I suspect will be loaned out or used very sparingly

For some reason I’ve got the theme tune to “Dad’s Army” in my head now.

3 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

For some reason I’ve got the theme tune to “Dad’s Army” in my head now.

Yeah there's a bit of that for sure. To be honest I would have kept all bar Naismith, Fox and Vigurs. Hopefully they will be warming the bench or loaned out 😮‍💨

1 hour ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Yeah there's a bit of that for sure. To be honest I would have kept all bar Naismith, Fox and Vigurs. Hopefully they will be warming the bench or loaned out 😮‍💨

Only joking. You need experience in a team as well as youth and you definitely have a few older players who are still more than capable of offering a lot in L1.

Surprised that Fyvie is only 31 as it seems like he’s been around forever.  On the other hand I still think of Megginson and, particularly, Yule as being younger than 30.

3 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Only joking. You need experience in a team as well as youth and you definitely have a few older players who are still more than capable of offering a lot in L1.

Surprised that Fyvie is only 31 as it seems like he’s been around forever.  On the other hand I still think of Megginson and, particularly, Yule as being younger than 30.

Actually Fyvie only turned 30 in March I found out and both Mitch and Blair turn 31 in the summer!

Those 3 definitely still have the talent for L1. Shay and Reynolds will be fine although we need some strengthening all over.

25 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Actually Fyvie only turned 30 in March I found out and both Mitch and Blair turn 31 in the summer!

Those 3 definitely still have the talent for L1. Shay and Reynolds will be fine although we need some strengthening all over.

Those 3 definitely and I thought Reynolds still looked decent. Not so sure about Logan, a bit fur coat and nae knickers for me but that’s maybe just because he seems to spend more time being a wind up merchant than actually playing football.

Whats the situation with Longstaff? I liked the look of him and would like to see him at Arbroath.

7 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Those 3 definitely and I thought Reynolds still looked decent. Not so sure about Logan, a bit fur coat and nae knickers for me but that’s maybe just because he seems to spend more time being a wind up merchant than actually playing football.

Whats the situation with Longstaff? I liked the look of him and would like to see him at Arbroath.

Offered a contract but still to decide. That never usually ends well sadly. I'd love to see him stay as he's got the ability to terrify defences. With an energetic overlapping full back behind him he can excel. Would do well in L1.

Will have a couple of options North and South of the border.

10 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

Do yourselves a favour and drop the rangers tag.

Why? They’ve had it for 101 years, which a few more than that Sevco outfit. Plus there’s already a Cove F.C.

30 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

Do yourselves a favour and drop the rangers tag.

Maybe as ICT we should have dropped the blue/red/white/black colours when our club were formed because its the same colours used by Rangers and these colours are always associated first with Rangers.

Cove announce a switch to a hybrid model. Brave move after a relegation, comes with risk no doubt but could be a catalyst for something prosperous going forward 

https://coverangersfc.com/2023/05/18/club-statement-full-time-football/

Edited by CoveRangers1922

6 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Cove announce a switch to a hybrid model. Brave move after a relegation, comes with risk no doubt but could be a catalyst for something prosperous going forward 

Tbh hybrid is a good way to go for a club in League 1 we’ve done it won the league, Airdrie currently have it and in the playoff final and if Hamilton go down they might go hybrid…. you’ll probably be at the lower end of the scale in regards to full time players but higher up in the part time players 

The way it's worded, or I read it, is that 2023/2024 will be hybrid given we have a number of players on PT contracts and the season after we'd be full time. Very bold on the latter. We likely need hybrid at minimum to get ourselves back to the Championship and be able to compete there. 

Be very interested to see the calibre of our full time players this upcoming season. It will open doors for recruitment but will introduce a bigger expectation and pressure on the pitch

Edited by CoveRangers1922

3 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

The way it's worded it I read it is that 2023/2024 will be hybrid given we have a number of players on PT contracts and the season after we'd be full time. Very bold on the latter. We likely need hybrid at minimum to get ourselves back to the Championship and be able to compete there. 

Be very interested to see the calibre of our full time players this upcoming season. It will open doors for recruitment but will introduce a bigger expectation and pressure on the pitch

As stated above and depending on your budget because of the part time players you currently have under contract and the fact it’s league 1 you might be at the lower end of the scale for full time players 

Edited by RRFC_Liam

15 minutes ago, Michael W said:

A weird thing to do after relegation to League 1, which is where full-time football goes to die. 

I think it’s something Hartley has really pushed for to be honest. It will come with the added caveat that any full time player would also have to relocate himself and potentially his family to Aberdeen. I don’t really get it.

I don't know about this "hybrid as a minimum" thing.  We seem to have managed it.  But how are you paying for it?

From an Arbroath pov its probably good news, as it means you'll be looking for full time players, and we can look for the best part timers.

1 hour ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Think it’s only way the club have a chance of going back up as you’d think will have more chance of attracting players who are maybe a cut above in league 1.

Interesting see what happens with a couple the part time players going forward as I know Scully was asked he it would go full time and said no. Guys going other side of 30 wouldn’t be worth it.

Could be a interesting summer up at Wellington Circle