Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

Sad times for Clyde fans. Last time it was this bad, Ronnie MacDonald rode to the rescue. The club has been on a steady decline since he left. Mr Carmichael lacked the business and football acumen to turn things around and there has been a procession of clueless individuals making decisions that will see the club disappear into oblivion very soon. ps: Hope Rico makes a good recovery.

Commiserations on Clyde's departure from League 1. Their fans have been long suffering, which as a long-in-the-tooth Montrose fan, I can certainly relate to. Hopefully their fortunes can be turned around before too much longer.

If a consortium of Clyde fans who have a sound understanding of how to run a business and can transfer those skills to the club came in would it matter if they themselves could not introduce investment - on the basis that the existing board presumably have no money either (and wouldn't know what to do with it if they did)!

The assumption of course is that the new board would be proactive in seeking out investors rather than fiddling while Rome burns.  I am now beginning to think that not having our own ground (while not great) has become a lame excuse as we haven't owned our home since around 1930 but did well enough until our patch was severely depopulated.

Let's not forget all the clubs in the lower divisions who we used to frequently beat comfortably (or weren't even in the league) that have backers and have left us in their wake .... plus the Darvels, Polloks etc who are also backed and are ready and willing to do likewise!

We still have our place in the league set up - for now at least - and we are still "de facto" a Glasgow club with a support which would double by just being a good Div 1 outfit and continue to rise to a reasonable size as a competitive Championship side. Even a small percentage of our dormant/lapsed support returning is still hopefully waiting in the wings for a team worthy of the famous white jersey.

Everyone on this forum including non-Clyde fans can clearly see there has to be change - and quickly - or we aren't going to be around much longer.

10 hours ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

Don’t disagree but unless there is someone who wants to take over and has a shed load of money they are happy to write off by putting into the club then won’t happen

Are you ready to put yourself forward to join the board?

It all very easy to say “sack the board”  but unless there is a group who

1. have the clubs interest at heart

2. who have significant money to invest 

3. Have the necessary skills and time to implement their vision

We would be in a worse position (yeah know hard to believe but would be true) if the board just all resigned en masse

Are you ready to replace a player you criticise?

3 hours ago, Walk Glasgow said:

If a consortium of Clyde fans who have a sound understanding of how to run a business and can transfer those skills to the club came in would it matter if they themselves could not introduce investment - on the basis that the existing board presumably have no money either (and wouldn't know what to do with it if they did)!

The assumption of course is that the new board would be proactive in seeking out investors rather than fiddling while Rome burns.  I am now beginning to think that not having our own ground (while not great) has become a lame excuse as we haven't owned our home since around 1930 but did well enough until our patch was severely depopulated.

Let's not forget all the clubs in the lower divisions who we used to frequently beat comfortably (or weren't even in the league) that have backers and have left us in their wake .... plus the Darvels, Polloks etc who are also backed and are ready and willing to do likewise!

We still have our place in the league set up - for now at least - and we are still "de facto" a Glasgow club with a support which would double by just being a good Div 1 outfit and continue to rise to a reasonable size as a competitive Championship side. Even a small percentage of our dormant/lapsed support returning is still hopefully waiting in the wings for a team worthy of the famous white jersey.

Everyone on this forum including non-Clyde fans can clearly see there has to be change - and quickly - or we aren't going to be around much longer.

Fairly sure the two investors who have walked away would walk back in if a different regime

17 minutes ago, Harry Hood Fan Club said:

Fairly sure the two investors who have walked away would walk back in if a different regime

Which two investors do you mean and what is the likelihood they would be interested in a majority shareholding? 

What do we need to do as fans to get the board to at least explore the possibility of selling the club? Selling up to the highest bidder certainly isn't my preferred option and I would much rather there was another way but unfortunately the CIC model simply hasn't worked. In many ways the current system of leadership seems more secretive and 'private member's club' like than ever. I know it's easy to say after the fact but time and time again it seems as though the people tasked with strengthening and improving the club have made the wrong decision.

How many times do you need to get something wrong before it's time to step aside and let someone else have a go? Such a depressing and frustrating state of affairs. 

Edited by RutherGlen

32 minutes ago, Harry Hood Fan Club said:

By the owners/ the fans- please stop with the “but who will replace them”- there’s people out there for sure

Who? Where are they? Where have they been? What are they waiting for?

1 hour ago, Harry Hood Fan Club said:

Are you ready to replace a player you criticise?

That an entirely difficult argument - I have never played football at any level and can quite easily say that all the players, despite how bad they might appear, are infinitely better than me

All saying is is very easy to say “sack the board”

Unless you want to put yourself forward or know of a credible alternative then we would be in a worse position than currently in.

I would never criticise anyone who is brave enough to put themselves forward to join the board - it is easy to blame but what is the solution?

Very easy to say

1. There are better people out there

2. There are investors willing to invest if the current board wasn’t there

If so let them step forward.  Say what their plan is.  Say what they are going to invest.  Etc etc

I would happily back anyway, as an owner, that has a credible and funded plan.

Edited by Bullyweeno1

44 minutes ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

I would never criticise anyone who is brave enough to put themselves forward to join the board - it is easy to blame but what is the solution?

I used to be of the same opinion and I continue to have nothing personal against any board member, admire and am grateful for the time and effort they no doubt put in for little/no return and don't for a second think I could do a better job. That said, I think this idea that as volunteers they are somehow above criticism and can do no wrong even when they clearly are doing a lot wrong is very much part of the problem with the current model. 

10 hours ago, RutherGlen said:

I used to be of the same opinion and I continue to have nothing personal against any board member, admire and am grateful for the time and effort they no doubt put in for little/no return and don't for a second think I could do a better job. That said, I think this idea that as volunteers they are somehow above criticism and can do no wrong even when they clearly are doing a lot wrong is very much part of the problem with the current model. 

Pretty balanced response from @RutherGlen.  

The Board could certainly do with some freshening up. The current chair strikes me a good bloke, but he is not any sort of business leader, as far as I can see.  He is however, the only director prepared to communicate with us: the fans, customers and in many cases the co-owners. 

I don't doubt their integrity or desire and wouldn't wish to criticise any individual, but Clyde are a p***kly bunch to deal with.  We have repeatedly pi$$Ed off people and orgs like NLC, Ronnie, Broadwood Management, Norrie, The Glasgow Branch, The NON Glasgow Branch, Homes Brook, The press, our women's team, SPL clubs who could loan us players, The Colts, volunteers and probably others.

My fear is that we have no political alignment or awareness and that means we are at huge disadvantage on Crownpoint, as the decision will be voted on by The Council. 

I've heard plenty of my fellow Clyde fans saying they won't renew their season tickets if Duffy is reappointed as manager.

If the board misstep with this decision it could cost the club many thousands of pounds.

Surely, they won't f**k this up. Surely?

I honestly think if Duffy was leaving, we'd have heard straight away.

The board can't make an announcement that he's staying because they know (most) fans don't want him and after getting relegated on Friday, it's too soon to drop the bombshell. I'm expecting that the announcement that he's staying will be in the form of a shit sandwich statement this week, such as:

"The club can today announce that XYZ crap players contacts have expired and they will be leaving the club. *under breath,  perhaps whilst coughing* Manager Jim Duffy, who has also agreed to lead the club into the 23-24 campaign, said "blah blah hardest part of the job blah blah". The club is however delighted to announce that XYZ decent players have agreed new contracts."

I REALLY hope I'm wrong.

I am 90% certain that Duffy will be staying. The outcome of the “ review of the footballing department” will be that Diamond and Corr failed/are no longer needed and we will be informed officially they are gone. Then a statement along the lines “ given the uncertainty and overturn in the footballing department,  alongside the clubs relegation stability and a continuation is needed. The board can confirm Jim Duffy has offered to stay on as manager through to season 24/25 and this is an offer the board have accepted”

Would happily be proven wrong but as the poster above pointed out, we would have known by now that he is gone. 

12 minutes ago, RutherGlen said:

Can anyone explain to me why they think the board see Jim Duffy as the best option here? If it's for reasons of  "continuity" can I therefore conclude the board wish to see us continue to fail both on and off the park?

In terms of the boards point of view you can see them spouting the following- “Knows the club” “knows the league”, “a safe pair of hands”, “ experienced”, “ can work on a budget”,” had a good run of form towards the end of the season before injury’s and fitness derailed the momentum”.

he will also be a relatively cheap option I’d imagine.

As an aside, if we do get rid of Duffy what realistic options would fans like to see come in? If Hamilton empty Rankin he could be an option. Relegated on penalties and won a trophy in his first season.

Edited by Ocelot1877

I also think the longer it goes on that Duffy will be the manager next season, which is just a thoroughly depressing prospect all round.

Once again, no surprises that Clyde and its leadership seem to be sitting at the table twiddling their thumbs days after the playoff final. It’s in line with everything this club does in terms of seemingly just wandering around in a zombie existence and hoping everything goes OK in the end.

We are already behind the eight ball to most of our rivals in terms of preparation for next season due to the playoffs and with the rumours of a slashed budget next season, if we are to recruit well, then offers need to be made to players early and business done quickly to avoid getting rushed into bad moves.

Instead we still don’t have a list of players leaving, those being offered deals or any confirmation who is our manager. Stephen Swift announced his own departure on Twitter two days ago!

This whole malaise filters into everything. You can see it at Crownpoint as well, getting told that it’s OK that Finnart have completed their consultation with the community before we got ours off the ground, that it’s OK they have hundreds of people - even if a decent proportion of them are kids and parents in their system - in attendance at a consultation event and that it’s OK two of the four local ward councillors are there (one of whom happens to fighting for Labour group leader). There’s an assumption that everything will be fine, that our name - whatever that means - will seal the deal when that name means nothing due to years of mismanagement across various boards.

And with that, my latest tl;dr rant is complete 😂😂

8 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

Kurtis roberts going to Alloa.

Where you seeing that? Yeah I agree it’s an embarrassment that nothings come out about who’s staying, leaving and the manager situation. Can see us scraping around everyone else’s scraps for players. Depressing stuff.