Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

16 minutes ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

It only becomes a story if those at the club make it a story.

If they stick to the line of rehabilitation that they always have then there is no story and will quickly be no interest like there has been for broadly 4 years

There was no public or media scrutiny last week when he came on a sub

If the club really want to assess the risk then take him on loan for the rest of the season with the view of taking on loan for further 2 years depending on what happens

Personally think will be a story for a day or two then die as just coming back and in same position as been for 5 years.

If we re-signed Goodwillie a journalist would immediately phone around our sponsors asking for them to comment. Regardless of what their comment was it would create a story that would get posted on Twitter and our sponsors would immediately get bombarded with negative comments. Any sensible company would pull out of their sponsorship deals with the club, regardless of the fact they weren't an issue a week ago.

Trying to suggest nothing has changed after a week of negative nationwide press coverage is frankly ludicrous. 

25 minutes ago, Jaggy Snake said:

If we re-signed Goodwillie a journalist would immediately phone around our sponsors asking for them to comment. Regardless of what their comment was it would create a story that would get posted on Twitter and our sponsors would immediately get bombarded with negative comments. Any sensible company would pull out of their sponsorship deals with the club, regardless of the fact they weren't an issue a week ago.

Trying to suggest nothing has changed after a week of negative nationwide press coverage is frankly ludicrous. 

Sponsors don’t need to comment or all get on board with the same stance

“The club has supported David with his rehabilitation over the last 5 years.  We understand and respect the upset that Raith Rovers have had.

Before deciding to move to RR David had been with us for 5 years

During that time he had been a model professional both on and of the park. 

We fully believe that every individual is entitled the chance to rebuild their life once they have paid their debt to society as the law of the land has dictated”

RR knew that Val McDermid was going to withdraw her support if they signed DGW.  From what I heard McGlynn and the board didn’t give two fukcs what she was going to do.

Unfortunately that was their major failing they failed to realise how much media and political support she could muster and maintain

If DGW had moved to Falkirk I fully expect he would have been in line for his debut tomorrow as don’t think the same furore would have been created there.  No one will ever know this to be the case or not and just my opinion

Edited by Bullyweeno1

Let’s be totally honest - if you think that Goodwillie is welcome back at Clyde, you’re a fucking idiot. He had it good here when many of us were uncomfortable but willing to have him here because he practically single handedly saved the club we hold dear. He decided to give that up and drag his victim, her family and his own family through the mud causing a tremendous amount of upset.

Wanting to welcome him back here at this point is absolutely pathetic and extremely weird.

If they stick to the line of rehabilitation that they always have then there is no story and will quickly be no interest like there has been for broadly 4 years
If the club really want to assess the risk then take him on loan for the rest of the season with the view of taking on loan for further 2 years depending on what happens
Personally think will be a story for a day or two then die as just coming back and in same position as been for 5 years.

Again this is extremely naive. Have you not been looking at the news or social media? Goodwillie signing for Raith is still trending.

Clyde got off very little when he signed 5 years ago. The landscape is changed significantly since then with the Me Too movement etc.

You are deluded if you think it would die down after a day. Clyde would be slaughtered in the press and would almost result in sponsors leaving as they wouldn't want to be associated with the negative press.

Clyde would be absolutely crazy to entertain taking him back.

11 hours ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

How do you rehabilitate someone who doesn't believe they've committed a crime? 

"Clyde" has been trending this week for the first time I can ever remember that wasn't related to a new series of South Park. None of it was positive. If we re-sign Goodwillie, it'll be national news and just as bad as it was for Raith. We will be pariahs. We already were to an extent but after the Everard tragedy there is more emphasis on women's rights. It would be a disastrous move for the club.

And that's just what's good for the club PR, before even considering the very obvious moral reasons why not only should we not be signing him, but we should never have signed him in the first place.

It can't happen. It won't happen.
And that's even if he could play for us again within the next 2.5 years of the contract he currently has with Raith Rovers.

Unfortunately, he's been badly advised (by his agent?) that he could go back to play full-time.

There's absolutely no way our Board would/could authorise his return, and all that's going to happen here is it's going to widen the gap between some fans who don't see it that way, and the Board.

I, personally, still have a lot of reservations about the law in cases like this. Had he simply been Joe Bloggs, in a job other than one where he was earning thousands a week, this would never seen the inside of a court. 

The annoying thing is that he now seems to be a decent responsible family man, as opposed to the daft 21 year-old who got himself into this situation 11 years ago.

My final point is that Goodie, and the complainant, both have kids. 
Who was taking them into consideration during the media frenzy of the last few days?
There's no way we can any longer be part of that.

I believe DL said after one of the recent games - can’t remember which one - that they were looking at ‘middle of February’ for Cunningham’s return.

Cuddihy’s status is more questionable, I’m sure he was in a recent squad on the bench but he’s disappeared again.

Genuinely can’t believe any Clyde fans think bring him back would be a good idea.  You effectively got away with playing him the last few years with minimal fuss other than the abuse of visiting supports as it all went under the Radar. Goodwillie raising his head above the parapet is the stupidest thing since he committed his crime.  He had it good at Clyde. He’s very much on the Radar now and any club that moves for him will bring a shitstorm down on themselves.  I pray another club is stupid enough to sign him as it’ll take some of the attention away from ourselves. I’ll even pay his taxi to the next club. 

On 04/02/2022 at 21:29, Bullyweeno1 said:

Personally I think there will be no story after a day if he was to come back

There would be no sponsors pulling out as they were all there when he was there

There will be no one in the club who will leave as they were all there when he was there

There will be no celebrity fan looking to kick up a fuss - we only have Dougie Donnelly and John Mason and neither of them has the influence of Val McDermid

There will be no disassociation of the woman’s team as we don’t have one (as far as I’m aware and even if we do they were there when he was)

There will be no harm with the local community as we never have  had any community links for years

There was no impact on attendances when he first joined - the average home attendance for the first 6 games after he joined was actually higher than the 6 games before he joined

All the club needs to do is take the stance that it took 5 years ago and since - every individual has the right to rebuild their life once they have paid their dues to society as deemed by the court of law they are tried in.  We aided DGW in his rehabilitation in getting his life back on track

If you think that someone doesn’t deserve that then it goes against the whole moral fabric of a civilised society.  

It was only last week that he came on as sub and won the free kick that lead to the goal that won the game.  There was no issues with him then so why now

I was expecting there to be some fall and sure DGW and his advisors would think the same.  They and the RR board didnt foresee the influence that Val McDermid would have in making it a national and an international story - as was shown in RR first and second statement.

If he had moved to Falkirk, the other club interested in signing him, I have no doubt he would be lining up to make his debut tomorrow

The high profile cases of Mendy and Greenwood were news at the wrong time for him.

Very lucidly put. Unfortunately the content is a pile of shite.

On 05/02/2022 at 21:46, clyde4ever said:

I, personally, still have a lot of reservations about the law in cases like this. Had he simply been Joe Bloggs, in a job other than one where he was earning thousands a week, this would never seen the inside of a court. 

The annoying thing is that he now seems to be a decent responsible family man, as opposed to the daft 21 year-old who got himself into this situation 11 years ago.

You almost make it sound like he was having harmless fun and just got a bit carried away 

Being a young adult and daft isn’t an excuse to rape someone.

He did see the inside of a court though and deservedly so 

Through this entire debacle I haven't heard or read anyone come out with this predictable and ridiculous line, surprisingly. Colour me shocked it's a Clyde fan who finally uses it.

I knew when I was about 11 years old that rape is wrong. He would have been well aware of his actions regardless of his age.