The Famous Aberdeen’s European Tour 19/20

Frank Grimes

OK, eyes on the prize and our opponents Rijeka.

Three games so far domestically this season, and three narrow wins vs promoted Varazdin - and Lokomotiva and Slaven Belupo who finished 6th and 7th last season.

Since we last played them their European record has been so-so. 

A home win vs Milan and fine away results against decent Austrian clubs looks good.  However, they didn't prevail in their group - and last season lost to Norwegians Sarpsborg.

Conclusion - we remain second favourites, and all the McKenna upheavel makes me worry that we have lost focus..........

rijekaeurope.JPG

Edited by tarapoa

13 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

OK, eyes on the prize and our opponents Rijeka.

Three games so far domestically this season, and three narrow wins vs promoted Varazdin - and Lokomotiva and Slaven Belupo who finished 6th and 7th last season.

Since we last played them their European record has been so-so. 

A home win vs Milan and good away results against decent Austrian clubs looks good.  However, they didn't prevail in their group - and last season lost to Norwegians Sarpsborg.

Conclusion - we remain second favourites, and all the McKenna upheavel makes me worry that we have lost focus..........

rijekaeurope.JPG

The positive spin is that the’ve only won four out of eighteen European matches, two of which were against TNS. 

Both of Croatia’s other teams have been pumped out Europe already, Hadjuk Split to some Maltese guff (hiya Hearts! hiya pal!).

By all accounts, despite their international success, Croatian domestic football is going through a real low point with the standard under Dinamo Zagreb really poor and corruption rife. The signs are good. We’ve got a better chance than when we played them 4 years ago, that result was a real miracle.

Of course we’ll end up playing with one centre half and lose about 6-0 now that I’ve said all that, but I’m quietly confident that we’ve got a shot here.

53 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

Both of Croatia’s other teams have been pumped out Europe already, Hadjuk Split to some Maltese guff (hiya Hearts! hiya pal!).

Worth watching Hajduk v the Maltese guff (Gzira Utd).

Hajduk were 2-0 up from the game in Malta, leading 1-0 at home with half an hour left, and then collapsed to go out on away goals with a 96th minute goal for 1-3.

Any notion that Gzira were any good, and that Maltese football is in some kind of Cypriot style surge in quality, was put to bed when Gzira lost 4-0 at Ventspils in the next round.

The Torcida were anything but happy and wanted blood (from their own players and management).

50 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Worth watching Hajduk v the Maltese guff (Gzira Utd).

Hajduk were 2-0 up from the game in Malta, leading 1-0 at home with half an hour left, and then collapsed to go out on away goals with a 96th minute goal for 1-3.

Any notion that Gzira were any good, and that Maltese football is in some kind of Cypriot style surge in quality, was put to bed when Gzira lost 4-0 at Ventspils in the next round.

The Torcida were anything but happy and wanted blood (from their own players and management).

The results for the two Croatian teams were very disappointing (Gzira/Hadjuk you could argue bigger than Connah/Killie) so it was a bit surprising given their pedigree.

Rijeka also don't hold the same amazing home record they used to a few years back and further seem to be conceeding a goal a game.

Personally I'd accept a 2-1 or 3-2 defeat right now. Anything beyond that would be absolutely brilliant. 

4 hours ago, d31 said:

The results for the two Croatian teams were very disappointing (Gzira/Hadjuk you could argue bigger than Connah/Killie) so it was a bit surprising given their pedigree.

Rijeka also don't hold the same amazing home record they used to a few years back and further seem to be conceeding a goal a game.

Personally I'd accept a 2-1 or 3-2 defeat right now. Anything beyond that would be absolutely brilliant. 

I’m fairly confident we can get a score draw at least, not going to be cheeky and ask for a win.

Looking at their past results, I thought they might be the sort of team to get caught cold in Europe in the early rounds but they have played 3 league games already, winning all 3, as well as losing 1-0 in the Croatian Super Cup to Dinamo Zagreb. I’m not sure how many games they’d played before our previous tie, or prior to them getting knocked out last season, but I’m sadly unconvinced they’ll be caught cold again. Still got a good opportunity as long as their home record is nowhere near as good as it was previously.

Going for 1-1. Rijeka pen and ballon d’Or.

COYR.

Edited by AngusTheBull

1 hour ago, Zapp Brannigan said:

Any chance we could bring Goodwillie back in for a one off cameo. He was absolutely sensational that night. That and the Hearts away performance where we were 3-0 up at HT made me hope he'd turned a corner.... Nope

Aye he was incredible in that game, when you think target-man you think of a performance like that. Sadly, with the court case which happened since then I'd rather have Scott Michie up top than him these days. 

Guest Bob Mahelp

Importantly, our record of scoring away goals in Europe is pleasingly good.

Not so good is our inability to keep clean sheets.

I'd be happy with a 1-1, but we have to be aware that the chances are high that Rijeka will score at Pittodrie.

11 hours ago, RussellAnderson said:

Aye he was incredible in that game, when you think target-man you think of a performance like that. Sadly, with the court case which happened since then I'd rather have Scott Michie up top than him these days. 

His wee dink to McLean for the 3rd still makes me hard as a rock to this day

His wee dink to McLean for the 3rd still makes me hard as a rock to this day

The finish was emphatic for McLean. That really kickstarted his dons career after a poor first six months. A real symbolic moment for a guy who would go on to be one of the most cultured centre mids I’ve seen at the club.

Ferguson to score tonight?