Rangers' Wee Spot in Europe - Season 2023/24

30 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The 'blessing in disguise' line was getting a good run-out on Sportsound last night.

That may be the case (I’m not sure who would be saying it that would be considered representative of the Rangers fan base), but I think you’d find it difficult to encounter many Rangers fans that were happy to be beaten last night.

Sparta currently 1-0 up in their second leg vs Dinamo Zagreb. Zagreb still leading on aggregate 3-2 but if Sparta can turn it around and knock them out we’d move up to Pot 1 for the draw tomorrow.

ETA: Now 2 nil. 3-3 on aggregate 

Edited by AJF

33 minutes ago, AJF said:

That may be the case (I’m not sure who would be saying it that would be considered representative of the Rangers fan base), but I think you’d find it difficult to encounter many Rangers fans that were happy to be beaten last night.

Steven Thompson and Neil McCann were saying this, as was someone who asked Beale about it at the Press Conference after the match.

Kenny McIntyre was coming out with it too.  He's pretty representative I'd have thought.

21 hours ago, AJF said:

I know you’re fishing but that was absolutely Goldson’s fault 😂

It’s not a pass Butland should have played to Goldson as he immediately put him under pressure as he didn’t have a pass except for the one back to the keeper and to add he also under hit the pass.

Butlands fault

20 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

By Ally's logic in which Scottish teams should be aiming to be in the Europa League because they have a remote chance of winning it, should Dundee, Partick etc opt for the Scottish Championship seeing as they have no chance of winning the Premiership? 🤔

That's what we did after finding out the Conference League was too hard

20 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Steven Thompson and Neil McCann were saying this, as was someone who asked Beale about it at the Press Conference after the match.

Kenny McIntyre was coming out with it too.  He's pretty representative I'd have thought.

Again though, I don’t think any of them (if they were speaking with a Rangers persuasion) would say they were happy to be beaten last night.

There will be instances of looking at the positives of dropping into the Europa league, but no mistake it was a failure not to qualify last night.

11 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

It’s not a pass Butland should have played to Goldson as he immediately put him under pressure as he didn’t have a pass except for the one back to the keeper and to add he also under hit the pass.

Butlands fault

Again though, it’s not something that justifies Goldson belting it into his own net.

Butland had an excellent match last night. Genuine quality that kept the score down. It’s a weird hill to die on 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

2 minutes ago, AJF said:

Again though, I don’t think any of them (if they were speaking with a Rangers persuasion) would say they were happy to be beaten last night.

There will be instances of looking at the positives of dropping into the Europa league, but no mistake it was a failure not to qualify last night.

Yes, I'm sure it was an attempt to look for a silver lining.  There was a certain desperation attached to it though.

Group C

Rangers

Real Betis

Sparta Prague

Aris Limassol

Some great trips in there. Betis will rightly fancy themselves to top the group. Qualifying from the group has to be the aim though, with third the minimum expectation.

As top seed 2nd should be a minimum. Betis are tough and realistically finishing closely behind them wouldn't be a disaster.

Both the Prague teams easily beat the OF about 3yrs ago so they could be tricky as their league is probably overall a better standard, they were also one of the worst picks from Pot 3.

Aris should be 6pts or 4pts if a draw away is good enough when the game is played.

On 30/08/2023 at 22:13, pozbaird said:

Didn’t take Super Ally & his sidekick long to start banging on about budgets - in Dutch football, never mind in England, Spain or somewhere. Superb own goal though, it really was, Rangers looked sluggish, they really did, I’m looking forward to seeing PSV in the group, I really am…. Well Ally, I always look forward to your commentary… I really don’t.

How much money does it cost to get players that know what goal they are supposed to be shooting towards